Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Codger

Default Harvest worker required (UK)

"Dave Roberts" wrote in message
In article , Oz
writes
Oz writes

We need a worker to drive tractors.

Response : zero.

Let's face it, would anyone here *really* want Oz as a boss ?

Not having met Oz I wouldn't know. His postings in this group suggest
he could be a bit of a sod, he holds some very strong opinions but has
considerable knowledge over a wide area. He also appears to like a
good discussion (strong argument), will probe hard looking for
weaknesses in your argument but will often accept another viewpoint,
once he has satisfied himself that you know what you are talking
about. However it is dangerous to categorise people on the basis of
such limited knowledge. He could be a very good boss although I
suspect he expects his employees to be competent at their work and
would extract his "pound of flesh". If I wanted a job as a tractor
driver, or even if I just wanted a job, I would apply. In the event
that I was offered the job, then I would make up my mind using the
information I had gleaned from the interview (with Oz or his foreman).

For many years I had a boss who, by and large, fitted the above
description. I first encountered him when, as an apprentice, I was
attached to his section. The boss I was leaving expressed sympathy
since I was going to be working for "a mad idiot". On completion of
my apprenticeship I applied for, and obtained, a position in the "mad
idiot's" department. He and his deputy are the best two bosses I have
had. I was expected to be competent over quite a wide area and I was
expected to give at least 110%. I was always supported, particularly
after I had messed up. I could always discuss work (and personal)
problems and they were prepared to accept that I had a point and could
be right. I suspect Oz might be similar.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Oz

Michelle Fulton writes

I agree, but I wouldn't want him to have to tell/show me how to do something
more than once ;-)

Twice is OK, expected even.
Ten times, though, and I tend to be getting a bit short.

--
Oz
Note: soon (maybe already) only posts via despammed.com will be accepted.

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Jim Sewell

Roman small denomination coins are so common as to be discarded.

When do I start ?

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Jill

"Jim Sewell" wrote in message

Roman small denomination coins are so common as to be discarded.

When do I start ?

did not think you could resist that line VBG

--
Jill Bowis

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
David P

In article ,
says...
Hamish Macbeth writes

You have likened Oz to Marconi Management, he may not understand the
implications of that

Ah.

Hmmm.

A cleaver insult, then?

Is that one that cuts to the bone?
--
David
Visit

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Codger

"Hamish Macbeth" wrote in message

"Old Codger" wrote in message
I suspect Oz might be similar.

You have likened Oz to Marconi Management, he may not understand

the
implications of that

Not really. Although the general approach was not unique, it was far
from being universal, and these two, particularly the boss, were more
than head and shoulders above all the others (at least all those I had
contact with).

Actually, I did have contact with two, possibly three, others who were
probably comparable. One was a GEC Director, the other a senior
technical manager within Thomson-CSF. The possible was an engineer
within Thomson-CSF (under the above manager) when I first met him who
had become a manager by the time of our second meeting - was probably
destined for higher things.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Codger

"Jill" wrote in message

"Michelle Fulton" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Oz" wrote in message

Twice is OK, expected even.
Ten times, though, and I tend to be getting a bit short.

I'm embarrassed when I have to ask twice. I'd probably quit

before I'd
ask
a 10th time :-o

I was thinking that you'd probably be one of the more honest folks

to work
for and then I was surprised to see Sarah saying she wouldn't want

to do
business with you (I think she's just frustrated with you right

about
now).
From reading your posts over these few months, I gather you are of

personality type that could not tolerate being anything less than

a man of
your word.

and an HSE standard to be proud of
I might venture to suggest

I think you are right. Oz is very safety aware and has a practical
and commonsense approach to safety. However, from my memory of that
thread, I am not sure that HSE would always have agreed (at a detail
level). Unless there had been injury, any alleged default would
almost certainly have been discussed and, provided Oz could have
refrained from going onto the attack (I'm sure he could in these
circumstances), there would have been an agreed resolution and a happy
HSE inspector.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Old Codger

"Oz" wrote in message
Michelle Fulton writes

I agree, but I wouldn't want him to have to tell/show me how to do

something
more than once ;-)

Twice is OK, expected even.
Ten times, though, and I tend to be getting a bit short.

Only a *bit* short?

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Oz

Old Codger writes
"Oz" wrote in message
Michelle Fulton writes

I agree, but I wouldn't want him to have to tell/show me how to do

something
more than once ;-)

Twice is OK, expected even.
Ten times, though, and I tend to be getting a bit short.

Only a *bit* short?

Ohh,

OK

*Quite* a bit short .....

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Dean Hoffman

On 1/11/03 3:05 PM, in article 7F0U9.12411$4k6.1064038@wards, "Old Codger"
wrote:

I think you are right. Oz is very safety aware and has a practical
and commonsense approach to safety. However, from my memory of that
thread, I am not sure that HSE would always have agreed (at a detail
level). Unless there had been injury, any alleged default would
almost certainly have been discussed and, provided Oz could have
refrained from going onto the attack (I'm sure he could in these
circumstances), there would have been an agreed resolution and a happy
HSE inspector.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

What is a HSE inspector? It sounds like it might be similar to a
swarm of gnats.

Dean

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

What is a HSE inspector?

Health and Safety?

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Jim Webster

wrote:

I think you are right. Oz is very safety aware and has a practical
and commonsense approach to safety. However, from my memory of that
thread, I am not sure that HSE would always have agreed (at a detail
level). Unless there had been injury, any alleged default would
almost certainly have been discussed and, provided Oz could have
refrained from going onto the attack (I'm sure he could in these
circumstances), there would have been an agreed resolution and a

happy
HSE inspector.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

What is a HSE inspector? It sounds like it might be similar to

swarm of gnats.

Dean

HSE stands for Health & Safety Executive. It is the body basically
charged with over seeing safety at work.
Their inspectors range from well informed and useful (don't laugh, I did
meet one :-)) to hide bound jobs worths.
I suspect that things have got better and worse with the EU. There is
more emphasis on risk assessment as opposed to making sure things are
not a quarter of an inch too short or too long, but by definition you
are now out on your own if something does go wrong.

--
Jim Webster

"The pasture of stupidity is unwholesome to mankind"

'Abd-ar-Rahman b. Muhammad b. Khaldun al-Hadrami'

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Dean Hoffman

On 1/11/03 5:15 PM, in article , "Jim
Webster" wrote:

HSE stands for Health & Safety Executive. It is the body basically
charged with over seeing safety at work.
Their inspectors range from well informed and useful (don't laugh, I did
meet one :-)) to hide bound jobs worths.
I suspect that things have got better and worse with the EU. There is
more emphasis on risk assessment as opposed to making sure things are
not a quarter of an inch too short or too long, but by definition you
are now out on your own if something does go wrong.

--
Jim Webster

I remember the earlier posts about livestock tracking. It's entirely
possible here in Nebraska, U.S.A. for a critter to go its entire life
without inspection. The only inspection would be at the packing house.
There is a vet at the sale barns to keep a rough eye out for disease there.
Some areas have brand inspection laws. I don't know how stringent the
tracking is.
We don't have anything like safety inspections on farms. Some states
require electrical inspections for equipment installed by professionals. A
farmer can do his own wiring without inspection.

Dean

Old 26-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Michelle Fulton

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

We don't have anything like safety inspections on farms. Some states
require electrical inspections for equipment installed by professionals.

farmer can do his own wiring without inspection.

That's because the sky is so blue and the living so clean in Nebraska that
nothing could possibly go wrong ;-)) I like the idea of state's rights,
but I really thought that all those types of saftey standards were
Federal???

Old 26-04-2003, 12:30 PM
Jim Webster

Webster" wrote:

[...]

depending on where you are and what industry, depends on the number of
inspections. While they make a big fuss about agriculture I haven't seen
one for some considerable period (if you don't have employees it helps.)
but if there is an accident then they turn up and are the ones who
organise the prosecution.
Interestingly the H&SE calculated that there was a 99% non-reporting of
accidents on farms. (defined as a case where someone might get a doctor
to check them over,or eould do if it meant time off work)
Given that if you report the accident, not only do you have the problems
of the accident, but also a fine for contravention of whatever
regulation caused the accident, it is hardly surprising.