Old 10-12-2005, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Bird Seed Feeder OT

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Pronunciations are a very local matter usually, aren't they? And of course,
the pronunciation of plant names seems to be a very personal one, too.
We've often had 'debates' on here about how people pronounce different
things. My old name used to be Villiers, and the last 'i' is never
pronounced but in South Africa, where there are a lot of people of that
name, it always is! My husband had great fun trying to find Kirkcudbright
when he was pronouncing it as it is spelled. And someone has just kindly
sent us some Crocosmia called 'Culzean Pink'. How was I to know that it's
first name is pronounced 'Killhane'!

Ah, but if you'd known a Menzies or a Dalziel you might have been more wary...

Kirkcudbright is logical if you apply the usual local pronunciation of
Kirk and Bright, so that really doesn't count. However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-12-2005, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Sacha wrote:
[...]
Maudlin in Oxford and Magdalen in Cambridge, is what I've always
heard.

Really? I thought the former at both: perhaps I'm too deeply
tinctured with the darker shade.

--
Mike.

Old 10-12-2005, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

I don't think I'm red at all, pale pink occasionally, perhaps but as far as
I can see, pronunciations arise as a matter of custom, local accent,
convenience and common usage. It's hard to imagine the land barons getting
together hundreds of years ago and solemnly deciding to confuse the peasants
by playing around with the pronunciations of names!

I blame Harold, trying to confuse the invading Normans innit. I bet he
removed all the signposts TAAAW.

Ray, who is an Essex
man always laughs about 'posh' people who live in Theydon Bois because they
insist on pronouncing 'bois' in the French manner. It is pronounced 'boys'
by Essex people!

This is true, and illustrates the adage that a little knowledge is a
dangerous thing. I was (largely) brought up in Essex, and there was a
Theydon Boy in my class. A lot of the placenames there have 'local'
pronunciations - the Rodings, for instance. I've never heard the River
Roding pronounced any way but how it's spelt, thobut the villages are
pronounced 'White Roothing', 'Abbots Roothing', 'High Roothing', 'Leaden
Roothing', and all are spelt '* Roding'...

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig
Old 10-12-2005, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:
On 10/12/05 17:37, in article , "Mike Lyle"
wrote:

Maudlin in Oxford and Magdalen in Cambridge, is what I've always
heard.

Really? I thought the former at both: perhaps I'm too deeply
tinctured with the darker shade.

No, I'm probably misinformed. ;-)

You are correct.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Kirkcudbright is logical if you apply the usual local pronunciation of
Kirk and Bright, so that really doesn't count. However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

Woodhouselee(s)?

Anyway, foreigners should try Mowzell.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Incidentally, Wymondham is pronounced 'Windham', although Wymondham in
Leics (I think that's where it is) is pronounced as written.

Yes, but then Norkies have a habit of confusing the rest of the world -
cue Stiffkey, Happisburgh, Tacolneston, Costessy and others.

Yes, but what you expect when so many of the population are Normal
For Norfolk? :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

Default Bird Seed Feeder

"Judith Lea" wrote in message
In article , BAC
writes
I agree with you, but, unfortunately, there are those who would probably
regard your complement of animals as 'invasive aliens' (unless your
partridge was a grey one, which is recognised as native) to be

exterminated
if possible.

Goodness! I love them in the garden and I have been known to stop my
car in the middle of the road to let hedghogs, baby ducklings and
squirrels cross the road (and frogs) all this despite being honked at by
other motorists. I had to get out of my car, in the middle of the road,
and kneel on the ground to shoo off little ducklings who ran underneath.
I did an emergency stop so that I wouldn't kill any and mother duck was
very happy with me - she quacked as they all went off safely, I wish my
fellow motorists did likewise.

Good for you :-)

Old 10-12-2005, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
BAC

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
BAC wrote:

I agree with you, but, unfortunately, there are those who would probably
regard your complement of animals as 'invasive aliens' (unless your
partridge was a grey one, which is recognised as native) to be

exterminated
if possible.

All British mammals, except Mountain Hares, Stoats and perhaps
Weasels, are invasive aliens. Similar remarks can be made about
birds.

Exterminate! Exterminate!

Followed rapidly by "Reintroduce! Reintroduce!" (reindeer, wolves, lynx,
beaver, etc., etc!)

Old 10-12-2005, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

In message , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message
from June Hughes contains these words:

I love Loose's shop, although their big shop closed down.

Who's Lucy?

Is Loose's a shop I ought to know about?

Not unless you are into cooking and stuff like that. It's in a small
yard, up a short alley, next to a cafe, set behind the road across from
Debenhams. A lovely, light building with lots of glass. Was taken over
by some of the staff (not gospel but something of the sort) earlier this
year. The manager there is extremely helpful and they sell some lovely
things.

Well, I'm into cooking and stuff like that: indeed, I am molishing large
quantities of pressed ham and chicken ATM, from bacon hocks and chicken
carcases from which the breasts, thighs and drumsticks have been
removed. (the village butcher keeps the latter for me, gratis.)

A by-product is stock which you can carve when cold, and chunks of which
bounce...

I know the place. Most of the stuff doesn't go with the kitchen in my
end of terrace onetime farmworker's cottage innit. I didn't unforget
that was its name thobut.

What's wrong with an end-of-terrace? I live in a mid terrace but that
doesn't stop me liking good stuff. I had a huge house with several
acres of land before I changed my life for a better one. The only thing
I miss is the chickens and if I wanted to I could have them here in
London. (If I told you I lived in a mansion, no-one would know any
different but if that was the case, I probably wouldn't need to do any
cooking
--
June Hughes

Old 10-12-2005, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 [...]
and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

Pass..

I shall call it an armadillo, and leave it alone.

--
Mike.

Old 10-12-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message , Nick Maclaren
writes
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Kirkcudbright is logical if you apply the usual local pronunciation of
Kirk and Bright, so that really doesn't count. However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

Woodhouselee(s)?

Anyway, foreigners should try Mowzell.

Not Mouswald, I don't suppose?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-12-2005, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Nick Maclaren" wrote
In article ,
Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
Yes, but then Norkies have a habit of confusing the rest of the world -
cue Stiffkey, Happisburgh, Tacolneston, Costessy and others.

Yes, but what you expect when so many of the population are Normal
For Norfolk? :-)

We -are- normal; it's the rest of yer..

--
Sue

Old 10-12-2005, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 10/12/05 17:26, in article
, "Rusty Hinge 2"
wrote:

The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

Pronunciations are a very local matter usually, aren't they? And of course,
the pronunciation of plant names seems to be a very personal one, too.
We've often had 'debates' on here about how people pronounce different
things. My old name used to be Villiers, and the last 'i' is never
pronounced but in South Africa, where there are a lot of people of that
name, it always is! My husband had great fun trying to find Kirkcudbright
when he was pronouncing it as it is spelled. And someone has just kindly
sent us some Crocosmia called 'Culzean Pink'. How was I to know that it's
first name is pronounced 'Killhane'!

Ah, but if you'd known a Menzies or a Dalziel you might have been more wary...

I know a Menzies but being a trusting soul, I took Culzean at its face
value.

Kirkcudbright is logical if you apply the usual local pronunciation of
Kirk and Bright, so that really doesn't count.

It does if you've never been near the place and have no idea of local
pronunciation!

However, there are two
placenames which often do confuse, namely, Milngavie and Wogahamsel.

Gold star for the first person to identify the latter!

No idea but I'm guessing it's something like Woemsel!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Bird Seed Feeder OT michael adams United Kingdom 0 10-12-2005 06:15 PM
Bird Seed Feeder Mike United Kingdom 19 29-11-2005 04:53 PM
If a geezer can't call a bird a bird what can he call a bird? Peter Gregson Gardening 9 05-11-2003 10:02 PM
squirrels / bird feeder solution tom Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
squirrels / bird feeder solution Robbin Texas 0 27-03-2003 09:32 PM