Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Default OT: Cats and Parrots (was Cats are evil (not off-topic))

Jangchub wrote:
How do you like the VoIP? We considered it because I call my mother
in NY very frequently and most of my friends are all up in NY. It
would be a lot cheaper to use than ordinary phone lines.

We use Vonage and could not be happier with it. I can configure it to
send me a page when there's a new voicemail and I can check my voicemail
online.
Call quality is perfect and have never had any issues. I'm so happy I
fired SBC.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 05:04 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:48:41 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
How do you like the VoIP? We considered it because I call my mother
in NY very frequently and most of my friends are all up in NY. It
would be a lot cheaper to use than ordinary phone lines.

We use Vonage and could not be happier with it. I can configure it to
send me a page when there's a new voicemail and I can check my voicemail
online.
Call quality is perfect and have never had any issues. I'm so happy I
fired SBC.

Hmm, I've been seeing those Vonage ads. I think I may switch. People
used to say a cable modem would suck because the cable goes out so
often. I think in the six years we've has Road Runner, maybe one day
when they were doing work on the cable it was down.

I understand I can keep my old phone number too. Well, according to
the ad.

Old 03-03-2006, 05:29 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jangchub wrote:
I understand I can keep my old phone number too. Well, according to
the ad.

Yes you can. You could actually get any available number in any area
code you wanted, regardless of where you live...
The one thing you have to consider is 911 service. Because the modem is
not tied to a physical address the way a regular phone line is, 911
operators can't tell where you are. However, Vonage asks you to register
your address so their system shows to 911 operators where the calls is
coming from. As long as you don't take your modem to another location,
you should be fine.
I think if I refer you to Vonage we both get a month free or something
like that. Email me directly if you're interested.

Victor

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 06:16 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 11:29:19 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
I understand I can keep my old phone number too. Well, according to
the ad.

Yes you can. You could actually get any available number in any area
code you wanted, regardless of where you live...
The one thing you have to consider is 911 service. Because the modem is
not tied to a physical address the way a regular phone line is, 911
operators can't tell where you are. However, Vonage asks you to register
your address so their system shows to 911 operators where the calls is
coming from. As long as you don't take your modem to another location,
you should be fine.
I think if I refer you to Vonage we both get a month free or something
like that. Email me directly if you're interested.

Victor

Okay, I will do that. I'll discuss it with the husb and see what his
feelings are. He will like the price, that's for sure. Us NY yentas
can talk for hours while time ticks off money!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:08 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

OmManiPadmeOmelet typed:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

We paid an extra fee to the phone company to keep it unlisted......
;-)

Old 03-03-2006, 10:09 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

OmManiPadmeOmelet typed:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

We paid an extra fee to the phone company to keep it unlisted......
;-)

We used to when it was $1/month. Now they want $5!

Old 03-03-2006, 10:13 PM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

I won't own another cockatiel. They are incredible, loving little
birds and it hurts too much to lose them. Besides, Freya the
cockatoo is very demanding for attention and I really don't have
the time for another bird. This one is quite enough. ;-)

I had a lovebird for awhile. It taught me that I'm not a bird person. I
didn't want her on my shoulder 14 hours a day, and the shrieking when she
didn't get her way was unbearable.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:15 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Cindy" wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet typed:
In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

We paid an extra fee to the phone company to keep it unlisted......
;-)

We used to when it was $1/month. Now they want $5!

It's generally annual.

$20.00.

And worth it IMHO.
--
Peace, Om.

Old 03-03-2006, 10:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 22:13:28 GMT, "Cindy" wrote:

I won't own another cockatiel. They are incredible, loving little
birds and it hurts too much to lose them. Besides, Freya the
cockatoo is very demanding for attention and I really don't have
the time for another bird. This one is quite enough. ;-)

I had a lovebird for awhile. It taught me that I'm not a bird person. I
didn't want her on my shoulder 14 hours a day, and the shrieking when she
didn't get her way was unbearable.

Which is why it's cruel to sell single lovebirds. They are extreme
bonders and should not be sold at all any more unless they are in
pairs.

My Hahn's macaw needs physical contact for about 4 hours a day. She
needs nuzzling, cooing, scratching, playing, rolling over, going under
the blanket game, and a number of other social activities.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:06 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

I won't own another cockatiel. They are incredible, loving little
birds and it hurts too much to lose them. Besides, Freya the
cockatoo is very demanding for attention and I really don't have
the time for another bird. This one is quite enough. ;-)

I had a lovebird for awhile. It taught me that I'm not a bird person. I
didn't want her on my shoulder 14 hours a day, and the shrieking when she
didn't get her way was unbearable.

Which is why it's cruel to sell single lovebirds. They are extreme
bonders and should not be sold at all any more unless they are in
pairs.

My Hahn's macaw needs physical contact for about 4 hours a day. She
needs nuzzling, cooing, scratching, playing, rolling over, going under
the blanket game, and a number of other social activities.

This is a fascinating conversation!
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 04-03-2006, 03:07 AM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 3 Mar 2006 17:06:45 -0600, "Kathleen"
wrote:

[...]

Go rent "Parrots of Telegraph Hill." It is up for an Academy Award
for Best Documentary. Parrots are identified by their hook bills.
They have the same intelligence level and IQ of a two year old child.
For the animal world, that is as smart as a chimpanzee, which is very
intelligent. As intelligent as a dolphin or moreso.

In the film the caretaker of this flock of wild parrots in San
Francisco (from escaped pets) says that parrots are more like monkeys
than birds and I fully agree. They are very acrobatic and can be
trained to do very intricate tricks. My parrot uses words
appropriately. She has telepathy, as well. I know that sounds like a
stretch, but regardless what time my husband comes home, be it regular
time, or hours off, she knows at least ten minutes to an hour before
he arrives and she lets me know by calling his name. Actually, she
says, "Where's Mark." When I tell her "he's coming" she gets very
excited! So cute. We adore her. She's over three now and probably
getting to sexual maturity and will lay her first eggs soon. They
aren't fertilized, but I'll still leave them for the full 28 days so
she won't try to lay more. It's pretty stressful for a pet bird to
lay eggs and tend them.

Anyway, I can talk about birds all day long. She's as much fun as
anyone else I know.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:50 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

We paid an extra fee to the phone company to keep it
unlisted...... ;-)

We used to when it was $1/month. Now they want $5!

It's generally annual.

$20.00.

And worth it IMHO.

$5 a month here. Not worth it to me.
I just traded off Call Waiting (which I hate) for Privacy Manager, and
haven't had an unwanted phone call since.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:53 AM posted to austin.gardening
Cindy

Which is why it's cruel to sell single lovebirds. They are extreme
bonders and should not be sold at all any more unless they are in
pairs.

My Hahn's macaw needs physical contact for about 4 hours a day. She
needs nuzzling, cooing, scratching, playing, rolling over, going
under the blanket game, and a number of other social activities.

I felt sorry for my poor bird. I gave her to a lady who had lovebirds, so I
hope her life improved greatly!
Four hours I could handle. But not all day.
Do all birds crap every where, including on you, or can they be trained to
go only in one place?

Old 04-03-2006, 05:41 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jangchub wrote:
Anyway, I can talk about birds all day long. She's as much fun as
anyone else I know.

How do you deal with poop?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

wrote:

[...]

Easily... ;-)
Often smarter that I give her credit for!

[...]

Yeah, but better than "over-laying" if you remove them.
I understand that if you take the eggs away, they will just keep on
laying more until they die of nutritional problems?

Does she have a good mineral block available?

Anyway, I can talk about birds all day long. She's as much fun as
anyone else I know.

I understand, and empathize. :-)
Freya has amazed me time and again with her personality and intelligence.
--
Peace, Om.