Old 02-03-2006, 11:34 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Cats are evil (not off-topic)

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:22:51 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
I cannot have a cat in or outside because I have a parrot. Of course
there are always people who say a parrot can easily be fast friends
with a cat, that too is mythos and illogical.

When I was young we had 3 pets: a dog, a cat, and a parrot. The parrot
was boss, the cat was 2nd in command and the dog was their b*tch.
How much a boss was he? Well, my mom would put out bones for the dog.
The cat would see that and come chase the dog away to lick the bones.
The parrot would see that and climb down from his cage and chase the cat
away to peck at the bones.
Crazy bird.

Yes, I've heard of these things happening. I've also heard the same
story with a horrible ending. The one I heard was that after many
years, the cat got ****ed off and that was it for the bird. Push to
shove, the cat can absolutely kill any size parrot. Push come to
shove, a cat and dog in a fight, the cat is a dead one. I don't ever
want to tempt fate like that. The breed I have, a Hahn's Macaw has a
60 year lifespan and I bought her from Marc Marone who has a show
produced by Martha Stewart on Sat. morning on FOX. I've had Mika
since she's been four months old.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:36 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default OT: Cats and Parrots (was Cats are evil (not off-topic))

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 21:25:32 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
Here are 4 pics of her and only one is blurred:

That does it! I'm sending these to my SO... I want a parrot!!!

Mmmmm, Victor, far from me to tell you what to do, but call the
experts at J & M Aviaries or Gallery of Pets and ask any of them about
bringing a bird into a cats household. I urge you to rethink that.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:39 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 06:21:45 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
What kind?

I would love a grey parrot, actually. Raised in captivity, of course, I
would never buy a wild-captured bird. They had one (or two?) at Bark and
Purr a while back, it was close to 1k, if I remember correctly.

All parrots are bred in captivity. It is against the law to do it any
other way. African Grey parrots are very noisy. I mean, they are the
mothers of mockingbirds and can mimic any phone, microwave, or
annoying noise known to man or beast. They do not love to be touched
on their backs, and are solitary birds, as in they will usually only
adopt one human to its liking.

Best to really do a lot of research before you do anything. You also
need to consider their diet. They need daily fresh fruit and
vegetables, along with several hours of physical play and a huge cage
which would cost about 600 and up.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 AM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jangchub wrote:
All parrots are bred in captivity. It is against the law to do it any

Not true at all. Where is it against the law? Certainly not here in Texas.
From the WWF site:
In 1992, the U.S. government adopted the Wild Bird Conservation Act,
which prohibits the import of almost all wild parrots for the pet trade,
except from countries with approved management and conservation
programs, or approved captive breeding facilities.

Best to really do a lot of research before you do anything. You also
need to consider their diet. They need daily fresh fruit and
vegetables, along with several hours of physical play and a huge cage
which would cost about 600 and up.

Ok dude (dudette?), take a breather. I'm not going to run out and buy a
parrot tomorrow. There's a big difference between "I would love a grey
parrot" to "I'm going to impulse-buy a grey parrot tomorrow". I'm not an
idiot and I would never, ever buy an animal I can't properly take care of.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 01:23 PM posted to austin.gardening
Kathleen

Conures do not live as long as parrots... Projected lifespan for
Nanday's in a perfect world is 25 years. :-)

JJ was an adult when we purchased her from Wal-mart (who have now quit
carrying live birds thank the gods!) so we have no idea how old she was
when we got her. I understand she was wild caught, not domestic bred.

Close to 20 years was not too bad I think.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson

I really wanted a parrot until I found out how long they live. One of my
clients had one and I really loved it. My daughter 10yo currently wants a
parakeet and I don't think that's going to happen.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Old 03-03-2006, 01:48 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 21:02:30 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

Jangchub wrote:
All parrots are bred in captivity. It is against the law to do it any

Not true at all. Where is it against the law? Certainly not here in Texas.
From the WWF site:
In 1992, the U.S. government adopted the Wild Bird Conservation Act,
which prohibits the import of almost all wild parrots for the pet trade,
except from countries with approved management and conservation
programs, or approved captive breeding facilities.

You may want to find a more current source of information. That was
14 years ago. All parrots in the United States are bred here in
captivity, banded, numbered and the breeders are licensed.

Best to really do a lot of research before you do anything. You also
need to consider their diet. They need daily fresh fruit and
vegetables, along with several hours of physical play and a huge cage
which would cost about 600 and up.

Ok dude (dudette?), take a breather. I'm not going to run out and buy a
parrot tomorrow. There's a big difference between "I would love a grey
parrot" to "I'm going to impulse-buy a grey parrot tomorrow". I'm not an
idiot and I would never, ever buy an animal I can't properly take care of.

I didn't say you were an idiot, but there are many others who are
complete idiots and who think a parrot is a cute toy which talks.
Well, they aren't. They require a great deal of care and attention.
I wasn't saying it so much for your sake, as I've known you from this
newsgroup for many years. I was saying it for people who are saying
it's fine to hold cats and birds together and nothing ever happens,
etc. While nothing may have happened YET, it's almost always a horror
story. If you ever want to discuss this to help you make an informed
decision, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you...really.

I'm a dudette! I'm Victoria. I stopped signing my posts because I
had a stalker and someone ended up at my door one day.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:07 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
"Kathleen" wrote:

Conures do not live as long as parrots... Projected lifespan for
Nanday's in a perfect world is 25 years. :-)

JJ was an adult when we purchased her from Wal-mart (who have now quit
carrying live birds thank the gods!) so we have no idea how old she was
when we got her. I understand she was wild caught, not domestic bred.

Close to 20 years was not too bad I think.
--
Peace, Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch." -Jack

Nicholson

I really wanted a parrot until I found out how long they live. One of my
clients had one and I really loved it. My daughter 10yo currently wants a
parakeet and I don't think that's going to happen.
With hope and heart,
Kathleen

Cockatiels are wonderful pets, and only live around 15 to 20 years I
understand.

About as long as a cat.

I've had 2 of them but did not have very good luck. Bellsea lived for 9
years then just died suddenly, no apparent reason. Her Grandaughter, Ra,
lived about 5 years, but her death was accidental. I won't go into
details. :-(

I won't own another cockatiel. They are incredible, loving little birds
and it hurts too much to lose them. Besides, Freya the cockatoo is very
demanding for attention and I really don't have the time for another
bird. This one is quite enough. ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:12 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Jangchub wrote:

I didn't say you were an idiot, but there are many others who are
complete idiots and who think a parrot is a cute toy which talks.
Well, they aren't. They require a great deal of care and attention.

Too damned true!
Many insane parrots end up in rescue, permanently bald from boredom
picking. :-( Ass holes that lock them in small cages for show are just
plain evil and clueless. That's why when we decided Freya had to be
confined, we took the time and trouble to build her that large Aviary.
It only cost us $400.00 to build out of 1" x 2" aviary wire and chain
link fence poles.

I wasn't saying it so much for your sake, as I've known you from this
newsgroup for many years. I was saying it for people who are saying
it's fine to hold cats and birds together and nothing ever happens,
etc. While nothing may have happened YET, it's almost always a horror
story. If you ever want to discuss this to help you make an informed
decision, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you...really.

But it's not all doom and gloom. It depends a LOT on the animals in
question. All of them are different.

There are no absolutes. It IS possible for them to live in harmony, and
it's possible also for it to end in disaster... JJ becoming buddies with
the cats was a gradual thing, and happened over time under supervision.

I'm a dudette! I'm Victoria. I stopped signing my posts because I
had a stalker and someone ended up at my door one day.

That sucks, and is also the reason I changed my posting name, and quit
posting my ebay auctions in my sig. I could be traced via an ebay bid as
info. is available to ebay bidders...
--
Peace, Om.

Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

Jangchub wrote:
You may want to find a more current source of information. That was
14 years ago. All parrots in the United States are bred here in
captivity, banded, numbered and the breeders are licensed.

I'm glad to hear that. It's horrible how parrots are "harvested" in the
wild.

story. If you ever want to discuss this to help you make an informed
decision, I would be more than happy to discuss it with you...really.

Thanks. I don't think I'll ever be allowed to get a parrot though.

I'm a dudette! I'm Victoria. I stopped signing my posts because I
had a stalker and someone ended up at my door one day.

Yikes! That's scary. I hope you called the police and got a restraining
order.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 03:44 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
That sucks, and is also the reason I changed my posting name, and quit
posting my ebay auctions in my sig. I could be traced via an ebay bid as
info. is available to ebay bidders...

I know! I just heard of one of my colleagues googling a guy and finding
all kinds of stuff, including all ebay purchases!!!

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 04:00 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
That sucks, and is also the reason I changed my posting name, and quit
posting my ebay auctions in my sig. I could be traced via an ebay bid as
info. is available to ebay bidders...

I know! I just heard of one of my colleagues googling a guy and finding
all kinds of stuff, including all ebay purchases!!!

I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...
--
Peace, Om.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:33 PM posted to austin.gardening
Victor Martinez

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old 03-03-2006, 04:40 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:44:19 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

I'm a dudette! I'm Victoria. I stopped signing my posts because I
had a stalker and someone ended up at my door one day.

Yikes! That's scary. I hope you called the police and got a restraining
order.

I sure did call the police. This person got all my personal records,
posted them all on newsgroups and called me on the phone.
Fortunately, the police have an entire Internet team who do nothing
but work on Internet crimes. Nothing happened, but it sure scared me.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:41 PM posted to austin.gardening
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article ,
Victor Martinez wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

We paid an extra fee to the phone company to keep it unlisted...... ;-)
--
Peace, Om.

Old 03-03-2006, 04:42 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:33:13 -0600, Victor Martinez
wrote:

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
I've tried googling my phone number, it does not show up...

It won't if it's unlisted. I don't recall if mine is supposed to be
unlisted, but I use VoIP. Maybe that's unlisted by default?

How do you like the VoIP? We considered it because I call my mother
in NY very frequently and most of my friends are all up in NY. It
would be a lot cheaper to use than ordinary phone lines.