Old 01-02-2005, 05:58 AM
Louise

Hi there. Tall hedge would be great for you. Also privit hedge. Good luck
"Katra" wrote in message
In article ,
"GoatDaddy" wrote:

I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

The local privett ash works well, (that's what I'm currently
encouraging, especially since I get them for free) as they grow fast,
quite tall, and require little water since they are native. They will
grow into trees if you don't keep them pruned down. In fact, I have some
6 footers I need to top soon before then get out of hand. ;-) I want
them to "bush out".

I have several thousand seeds at the moment if you want them.

No charge. They are in reach on the lower branches of the trees out
back. I just noticed them yesterday.

And they DO grow VERY quickly! Mine have been growing, both in pots and
the ground, a good 2 to 3 ft. per year depending on fertilizer and
water. I tend to neglect them.

Contact me if you want the seeds, or they will also be coming up all
over my yard this spring if I ignore them. Most will die and I'll pull
up the others. :-P Some that survive and look good will be potted for
later hedge use.

This e-mail works if you remove the mungbean.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell see, I have friends

in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 01-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:34:24 -0600, Katra
wrote: (snipped by jrm)

Okay, here is the local tree that I have. I did some searching and I'm
reasonably sure it is the correct species:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...m_lucidum.html

Beautiful, fast growing and native,

These trees are thriving with NO care, (they were here when I moved in
and are HUGE) and they are growing in the typical texas un-ammended
soil. Caliche and lots of limestone rock. Typical hill country soil and
I never water them. The ones out back just get whatever rainfall comes
in.

All the Ligustrums are non-native and several species are very
invasive and/or noxious species. What you have described - a plant
requiring no care that spreads rapidly is a good example of a species
that is adapted to an area and capable of disrupting native plant
communities.

Ligustrums fall into the same category as Chinese tallow, Chinaberry,
Japanese honeysuckle, etc., horticultural plants that should be
avoided in proximity to natural areas.

Rusty Mase
Old 01-02-2005, 01:08 PM
Rusty Mase

wrote:

Okay, here is the local tree that I have. I did some searching and I'm
reasonably sure it is the correct species:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...m_lucidum.html

Another issue here is that many of the agricultural or horticultural
plant information sites tend to have plants that are simply landscape
materials - thus they are kind of biased towards what can be sold.
Plant databases that do not have biases like this include:

http://plants.usda.gov/

Rusty Mase
Old 01-02-2005, 04:49 PM
Tex John

"escape" wrote

Um, clearly you didn't read the blurb. This plant is not native and is

invasive
and listed in the TPW as "DO NOT PLANT." Please, do not plant ligustrum.

Yeah, getting back to the charcoal thread, this and cigar tree stumps were
the ones I eventually had to burn out with charcoal. Drilled holes filled
with buttermilk, then used motor oil, following useless attempts with Round
Up at regular strength then Round Up concentrate straight (that was on the
leaves before I cut them down of course...then the edges of the stumps after
they started growing again). And they were growing out from under the house
so couldn't get a stump grinder in there either.

The seeds on that ligustrum (we call them Wax-Leaf Trees) are even more
likely to sprout than Chinese Tallow seeds! And just as numerous. If you
don't mow constantly, you get a self-spreading forest.

John

Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Katra

In article ,
"Tex John" wrote:

[...]

The vast majority of the ones that sprout do not survive......
The local wildlife like to eat them, so do my emus. And no, they are not
eating the berries, just the leaves. Any young trees that were in the
henyard were long since destroyed by my birds. I have yet to see any
survive outside of my yard, and the back "wild" alley.

And they do make excellent hedges. ;-)

What is wrong with using a good, tough, low maintenance plant for
landscaping?

It's not like we are talking about Kudzu or anything!

You want an "invasive" plant, try muscadine grapes!
I think those are a truly native plant?
I'm regretting that I planted so many. We have to agressively prune them
every mid-summer, but they are providing an excellent privacy fence.

So, what "inexpensive" and fast growing xeriscaping plant would you
recommend? There is always hackberry, but I'm not sure you can stunt
those into bushes.

Oleander is also popular and low maintenance, as is Crepe Myrtle.

How about Mexican Oregano? I have a small one that I got in a 4" pot
last spring. It's already nearly 2 ft. tall and I've seen them grow over
4 ft. tall. Very bushy and attractive, and covered year round with
little trumpet shaped flowers. Might not be a native plant, but I doubt
that it's aggressive either since mine has not shown even any vegetative
reprodution and has produced no seeds. I'm considering putting more out
front if I can find them. I've not found them at many nurseries. It's in
my herb garden and I have used it for cooking.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain

Old 02-02-2005, 05:08 AM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 16:49:14 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

[...]

You doused the soil with motor oil, glysophate and burning charcoal. In your
case, the ligustrums may have been better to keep.

grins

Old 02-02-2005, 05:49 PM
Tex John

"escape" wrote in message

You doused the soil with motor oil, glysophate and burning charcoal. In

your
case, the ligustrums may have been better to keep.

Yup...tho was less than a quart of oil all total.

All suggestions were from either this list or the plant people at Home Depot
:)

Don't forget the buttermilk...

John

Old 02-02-2005, 06:40 PM
Katra

In article ,
escape wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:08:01 -0600, Katra
opined:

The vast majority of the ones that sprout do not survive......
The local wildlife like to eat them, so do my emus. And no, they are not
eating the berries, just the leaves. Any young trees that were in the
henyard were long since destroyed by my birds. I have yet to see any
survive outside of my yard, and the back "wild" alley.

And they do make excellent hedges. ;-)

What is wrong with using a good, tough, low maintenance plant for
landscaping?

It's not like we are talking about Kudzu or anything!

It doesn't have to be like kudzu to be completely invasive.

http://www.invasive.org/eastern/srs/JP.html

This is a great website to get ideas:
http://www.nativesoftexas.com/catalog.html

snipped
Nice website, thanks!
I've considered getting Mexican marigolds since
I seem to not be able to keep tarragon alive,
and I really like it for poultry.

Old 03-02-2005, 03:37 AM
Tex John

http://tinyurl.com/5k4db here's one in this group not by me.

And like I said last year when we had this conversation, I will repeat these
comments because I was given them on good advice from this group, from
rec.gardens and from the 'experts' at Home Depot...and none of them
worked -- including the Round Up concentrate applied straight as suggested
by the plant girl at Home Depot.

Not so much the Privet/Ligustrums, but at that time a neighbor's cigar tree
had infested half my back yard so my kids couldn't play barefoot for the
pencil-thick sticks after you mowed and no grass would grow because you
couldn't water it enough and we were already under water rationing. I tried
everything, but started with buttermilk which is supposed to help make the
trunk rot. Well, on these things, you cut them down but they aren't actually
dead...so they don't rot.

If I can pass on my rather bad experiences and get ONE person to NOT try the
things that were suggested to me and either just rent a grinder or burn the
stumps out with charcoal, I'll keep it up. But you really don't need to
remind me I was wrong year after year in multiple news groups :/

And don't expect a grinder to work on a Ligustrum either. If it has live
suckers, it'll just pop back up next week a few feet over.

I've been working in a wetland on Clear Creek in Houston and a smaller
leafed Ligustrum (looks like Yaupon but isn't) has actually weeded the
Yaupon out on an old homesite. The native oak and elm seedlings and saplings
get weeded out by a bush! No different than allowing Chinese Tallows to take
over an old field pouring millions of seeds into the watershed to wash up
between a yard in Austin and an old rice patty in Houston. Of course all
noxious-list plants should be cut down, but all too often, that just ain't
enough.

John

"escape" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:49:25 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

"escape" wrote in message
.. .

You doused the soil with motor oil, glysophate and burning charcoal.

In
your
case, the ligustrums may have been better to keep.

Yup...tho was less than a quart of oil all total.

All suggestions were from either this list or the plant people at Home

Depot
:)

Don't forget the buttermilk...

John

I doubt anyone here told you to use motor oil on soil.

Old 03-02-2005, 07:03 PM
Katra

What about salt?
Of course, if you do salt treat, you will probably not be able to plant
anything else their either. ;-)

In article ,
escape wrote:

Okay, so now you sucked me into this reading. This is the only time I see
motor
oil mentioned, and it's accompanied with "Insert appropriate expression of
horror here."

I am also certain that Roundup will indeed not kill a stump of any sort. It
is
absorbed systemically through the foliage. If you read the label like you
are
supposed to do before using toxic poisons, you would have known that.

Other than this post, I see no other person telling you to pour motor oil
in,
on or near the tree stump.

Case is now closed and you do what you want. A piece of advice: If it comes
from this newsgroup or others does not mean you are getting "good advice."
That
includes my advice. But I do advise you to try reading a label now and then.

************************************************** ****************************
********
When they cut down a big hackberry under our power lines, th?!=ey put some
colored stuff on the stump that is supposed to keep it from ?!=growing back,
but I am doubtful. In my front yard, we had another hackber?!=ry removed and
the stump ground out. But a few of the old roots continue t?!=o send up
shoots
which I carefully coat with Roundup. We'll see how that goe?!=s.

On the other hand, an even larger hackberry that was split b?!=y the wind, cut
down and the stump ground out never shot up a single shoot.

An old method of dealing with stumps was to drill many deep ?!=holes in it and
fill them with motor oil. (Insert appropriate expression of ?!=horror here.)
******

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 03:37:53 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

[...]

"escape" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:49:25 GMT, "Tex John" opined:

.. .