Old 24-01-2005, 03:46 AM
GoatDaddy

Default Fast growing hedges ?

I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

Old 24-01-2005, 05:28 AM
Katra

In article ,
"GoatDaddy" wrote:

I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

The local privett ash works well, (that's what I'm currently
encouraging, especially since I get them for free) as they grow fast,
quite tall, and require little water since they are native. They will
grow into trees if you don't keep them pruned down. In fact, I have some
6 footers I need to top soon before then get out of hand. ;-) I want
them to "bush out".

I have several thousand seeds at the moment if you want them.

No charge. They are in reach on the lower branches of the trees out
back. I just noticed them yesterday.

And they DO grow VERY quickly! Mine have been growing, both in pots and
the ground, a good 2 to 3 ft. per year depending on fertilizer and
water. I tend to neglect them.

Contact me if you want the seeds, or they will also be coming up all
over my yard this spring if I ignore them. Most will die and I'll pull
up the others. :-P Some that survive and look good will be potted for
later hedge use.

This e-mail works if you remove the mungbean.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell‹you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain
Old 24-01-2005, 01:04 PM
Rusty Mase

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 23:28:11 -0600, Katra
wrote:

The local privett ash works well, .......

I do not think this is a useful name. The only native plants I can
think of would be Texas Mountain Laurel and Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria).
Mixing up these two, maybe with other native shrubs would create a
dense hedgerow maybe a dozen feet thick.

I would put Evergreen Sumac in there also but many of these in my
neighborhood are dying due to some disease possibly. Otherwise they
would be great also.

Rusty Mase
Old 24-01-2005, 05:03 PM
dt

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 07:04:31 -0600, Rusty Mase opined:

wrote:

The local privett ash works well, .......

I do not think this is a useful name. The only native plants I can
think of would be Texas Mountain Laurel and Yaupon (Ilex vomitoria).
Mixing up these two, maybe with other native shrubs would create a
dense hedgerow maybe a dozen feet thick.

I would put Evergreen Sumac in there also but many of these in my
neighborhood are dying due to some disease possibly. Otherwise they
would be great also.

Rusty Mase

Cherry laurel is evergreen, so is Forestiera angustifolia, Mahonia trifoliolata
and many others. See this website for a ton of plant possibilities:

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/o.../nativeshrubs/

And, if you plan on making a hedge with mountain laurel, plan on waiting
a *long* time.

DT
http://www.thehungersite.com/
Old 24-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:03:37 -0600, dt
wrote:

And, if you plan on making a hedge with mountain laurel, plan on waiting
a *long* time.

On the other hand, they last a long time. If they get webworms then a
little Bacillus thurengensis will cure that.

Rusty Mase

Old 24-01-2005, 10:00 PM
Rusty Mase

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:38:42 GMT, escape
wrote:

Yes, I did use Bt, but the worms were amazing this year. Uber worms!

You must use Uberwrens to control Uberwurms!

Rusty Mase
Old 24-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Treedweller

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:46:17 -0600, "GoatDaddy"
wrote:

I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

A couple of other ideas:
Arizona cypress gives nice color contrast, though not strictly a
hedge.
Wax myrtle is recommended for our area, but I'm not sure how fast it
grows . . .
check out www.treefolks.org for more small tree/big bush ideas.

Old 25-01-2005, 02:46 AM
Red

I am not sure you got an answer to your question, unless it is that it
degenerated to the use of BT on Mt. Laurel. To make a response it would be
helpful to know it the site is in an area which is in full sun, assumed,
access to water for a period of time, assumed, do you have any dirt or is it
just rock?
There is nothing that will be fast growing and long lasting, except
Lugustrum, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone. Might be MT. Laurel and
Youpan or maybe some Pryocantha? Will it grow on a fence or be self
sustaining? If the "homestead" is a few acres away, does that mean "they"
are Mexican or Black?

Old 25-01-2005, 06:22 PM
jojo

"Red" wrote in message
om...
If the "homestead" is a few acres away, does that mean "they"
are Mexican or Black?

Why do you ask? Do Mt. Laurel's grow better/worse around people of color?

Old 25-01-2005, 10:44 PM
Katra

In article ,
"jojo" wrote:

"Red" wrote in message
om...
If the "homestead" is a few acres away, does that mean "they"
are Mexican or Black?

Why do you ask? Do Mt. Laurel's grow better/worse around people of color?

'cause he's a bigot? :-P
So sad........ I pity people like that!

Old 26-01-2005, 12:34 AM
Rusty Mase

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:44:13 -0600, Katra
wrote:

'cause he's a bigot? :-P
So sad........ I pity people like that!

Copied from somewhere on the www

Bigot \Big"ot\, n................

2. A person who regards his own faith and views in matters of
religion as unquestionably right, and any belief or
opinion opposed to or differing from them as unreasonable
or wicked. In an extended sense, a person who is
intolerant of opinions which conflict with his own, as in
politics or morals; one obstinately and blindly devoted to
his own church, party, belief, or opinion.

OK, now I am clearly off topic. It has nothing to do with gardening
and if you want to continue this thread take to austin.flame - if that
is still a viable newsgroup.

Rusty Mase
Old 28-01-2005, 09:38 PM
Andyd

Cherry Laurel is a good idea, but they do get to be pretty large
trees. I am not sure what they would look like if spaced for a hedge.
However they are fast growers and evergreen. Someone suggested a mix,
that is a good idea. Mountain Laurel would be the best, but is a very
slow grower. Perhaps some Yaupon in there.

Lots of people use Photinea, they are ideal for this purpose, and you
will probably get this recommendation from some people if you ask
around (but probably not from this newsgroup). I would tend to stay
away from this plant, it isn't a native and personally I just don't
like the way it looks. But they are commonly used for this purpose,
they grow fast, tall, and are very thick. But if you have some
patience and creativity, you would have a far nicer look with a mix of
native or native-ish plants.

andyd

Old 01-02-2005, 03:54 AM
wronp

GoatDaddy wrote:
I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

I have watched everyones suggestions as I too have a large area that I'd
like to block out with a hedge. I like the idea of Mountain Laurels and
yaupons but they are too expensive for such a large run of hedge and
they are also slow growers.

I was thinking of Wax Myrtle, AKA Bayberry. However, I don't know if it
is a fast growing plant or not. Can it be started from a cutting? If so
how would one go about it?

-pokey

Old 01-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Katra

In article ,
wronp wrote:

GoatDaddy wrote:
I am looking for some hedges that would be fast growing to provide some
privacy. I have about 400 feet that need to be planted and I would like
some suggestion on what type I should get either hedges or anything that
would provide at least 6 feet tall . I live in a rural area and want to
use them to block off a homestead that is a few acres away.

Louis

I have watched everyones suggestions as I too have a large area that I'd
like to block out with a hedge. I like the idea of Mountain Laurels and
yaupons but they are too expensive for such a large run of hedge and
they are also slow growers.

I was thinking of Wax Myrtle, AKA Bayberry. However, I don't know if it
is a fast growing plant or not. Can it be started from a cutting? If so
how would one go about it?

-pokey

Okay, here is the local tree that I have. I did some searching and I'm
reasonably sure it is the correct species:

http://ag.arizona.edu/pima/gardening...m_lucidum.html

Beautiful, fast growing and native, as well as being evergreen (they do
not drop their leaves in the winter!), they require little water or care
(except for desired trimming and shaping) and are a beautiful tree or if
pruned, I've seen them used as hedges in this area. Due to their habit
of throwing numerous "sucker" branches off the base of the tree, they
will get very bushy if trained into a hedge.

I have thousands of seeds at the moment, and they come up all over my
yard in the spring. Any that survive get dug up and potted as I'm
planning on a good hedge on one side where I have some undesirable
neighbors. I also want to plant more up front for privacy.

Kat

Old 01-02-2005, 04:34 AM
Katra

In article ,
Katra wrote:

In article ,
wronp wrote:

GoatDaddy wrote:
[...]

Quick followup, I read their soil requirements and what a joke!

These trees are thriving with NO care, (they were here when I moved in
and are HUGE) and they are growing in the typical texas un-ammended
soil. Caliche and lots of limestone rock. Typical hill country soil and
I never water them. The ones out back just get whatever rainfall comes
in.

The ones in the pots however, get water thrown at them when I think
about it, or when we run the sprinkler in the summer to water the
gardens.

The ones growing on the front fenceline never get watered either. ;-)