Old 02-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Earths_Child

Default Fragrant flowers

I'm new to gardening, and working out lots of things by trial and error.
Got a lovely mini-rose in bloom, but it doesn't compare to the fragrances
given off by a climbing variety that I also have (that recently I've need to
prune back). I live in a built up area and would like plants and flowers
that really give off a scent. I know it's a lot to do with oils, wind and
heat etc. and I'll be adding to the lavendars I've put by the pathway next
year. With the lavendars, I've been able to get the scent, but, I do need to
crouch down - the scent doesn't seem to "hang" as I walk past.

I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add to that
with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light fragrances.

Suggestions?

Old 02-08-2005, 12:44 PM
Kay

In article , Earths_Child
writes
I'm new to gardening, and working out lots of things by trial and error.
Got a lovely mini-rose in bloom, but it doesn't compare to the fragrances
given off by a climbing variety that I also have (that recently I've need to
prune back). I live in a built up area and would like plants and flowers
that really give off a scent. I know it's a lot to do with oils, wind and
heat etc. and I'll be adding to the lavendars I've put by the pathway next
year. With the lavendars, I've been able to get the scent, but, I do need to
crouch down - the scent doesn't seem to "hang" as I walk past.

I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add to that
with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light fragrances.

Early in the season try wallflowers, follow up with Nicotiana (I'd be
inclined to avoid the coloured varieties), honeysuckle, night scented
stock. Mock orange is good for a short season if you have the space, and
in winter Viburnum bodnantense.

If your garden is really warm and you have somewhere to overwinter it,
Brugmansia is good, but it prefers a greenhouse.

Again if you have the space and a reasonably warm spo, Euphorbia
mellifera has a strong honey scent for a couple of months.
--
Kay

Old 02-08-2005, 01:07 PM
cineman

For scented annuals try stocks these fill the summer evening air with very
sweet scent.
theres also the old favourite sweet peas, or asiatic or oriental lillies go
for scented varieties.

or for perennials try some varieties of honeysuckle which climb and gring
the scent to you. for bush plants try lemon balm near paths giving lemon
scent when brushed against, but this can be invasive if given half a chance
also check RHS website http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp
whic i believe lets you search for scented plants
regards
Cineman

Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Earths_Child" contains these words:

I'm new to gardening, and working out lots of things by trial and error.
Got a lovely mini-rose in bloom, but it doesn't compare to the fragrances
given off by a climbing variety that I also have (that recently I've
need to
prune back). I live in a built up area and would like plants and flowers
that really give off a scent. I know it's a lot to do with oils, wind and
heat etc. and I'll be adding to the lavendars I've put by the pathway next
year. With the lavendars, I've been able to get the scent, but, I do
need to
crouch down - the scent doesn't seem to "hang" as I walk past.

I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add
to that
with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light fragrances.

Suggestions?

Plant scented herbs (rosemary, lavender, fennel, thyme, mint) close
enough to paths that your feet/knees lightly brush past them. Grow
scented climbers (rose, jasmine, honescuckle) up trellis or wigwams, of
sticks close to windows and doors. Many lilies are also strongly
scented, they do well in pots which can be moved to the best position
for scenting the air.

If you have acid soil, some deciduous azaleas can provide months of
spicy scent. firt from the flowers then the foliage. In mild areas only,
myrtle flowers for a very long period, on still days I can smell it for
yards around the bush.

Remember that you may also get wet knees, covered in pollen and
buzzed by insects which come in through open windows. But it's worth it.

Janet.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:37 PM
Mike Lyle

Kay wrote:
In article ,

Earths_Child
writes

[...]
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to

add
to that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not
light fragrances.

Early in the season try wallflowers, follow up with Nicotiana (I'd

be
inclined to avoid the coloured varieties), [...other sound advice

snipped...]

Old-fashioned pinks are a favourite of mine: very easy to grow, and a
cinch to propagate. At the nursery, choose the ones with the best
scent. For properly scented roses, the main man is David Austin. Take
care when buying sweet pea seed: buy only the ones which make the
strongest claim for their scent, as simply "sweetly scented" or
something like that is often a big exaggeration. My mother keeps
mentioning mignonette; but, as with sweet peas, the breeders have
ignored scent (maybe we should cut their noses off, since they
obviously don't need them) -- go for the plain old kind, which look
dull, but are said to have the best scent.

A good place for lavender is right on the edge of a path or by a
sunny door, so you brush the plants as you pass. Tall varieties work
better this way than the dwarf types. Rosemary's good for brushing
through, as well. If you don't mind it getting a bit scruffy after a
couple of years, shepherd's thyme is nice between paving slabs, where
you'll step on it; it will often survive in the lawn, too. The
Buckingham Palace lawns are a mixture of grass and camomile:
personally, I've had difficulty in keeping camomile going in grass,
but plenty of other people manage it OK. One lawn I had smelt
delicious when mowed: I never found out what it came from, but there
are a few aromatic grasses.

--
Mike.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:44 PM
Sue

"Earths_Child" wrote
snip
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add to
that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light
fragrances.

Hyacinths, lilies, philadelphus, heliotrope (cherry pie mmm), dianthus. One
house I often walk past used to have a front border with an edging of small
pinks from which the scent used to waft right across to the other side of
the road on a sunny day.

Sarcococca makes a smallish evergreen shrub that is rather unassuming until
in winter when the tiny flowers put out a very welcome, carrying scent. It
will grow in even dryish shade too.

It might be a good idea to have a regular 'nose' around garden-centres,
show gardens or friends' gardens to see what's in flower and takes your
fancy scentwise, because quite often what one person loves another will
dislike.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:35 PM
Sally Holmes

Earths_Child wrote:
I'm new to gardening,

[...]
I've got colours and design that is ever changing, but I want to add
to that with a full sensory experience, so I'm into strong, not light
fragrances.

Jasmine officinale is a vigourous climber with clusters of white star-shaped
flowers, very heavily scented. If your garden is sheltered enough you could
also try Trachilospermum jasminoides, Star or Confederate Jasmine, which is
evergreen. It grows well against a south-facing wall in Dewsbury, West
Yorkshire. In California it's grown as ground cover, a bit like we'd grow
periwinkle. I must try that here.

Lilies - B&Q sell them in pots, in bud. You can re-pot them into planters
for the patio. Keep them fed and watered and they'll be back, bigger and
better, next year. Make sure you get the scented ones; the yellow and orange
varieties aren't scented. Lilium regale has a beautiful cool scent but
Stargazer is strong and spicey.

It's too late this year, but next year you could grow or buy annuals such as
night scented stock (Matthiola longipetala), nicotiana and petunias. I find
purple petunias to be the most highly scented.

Alyssum has a honey fragrance. It's not strong, so plant it close to where
you can sit on warm evenings.

Kay suggested philadelphus (mock orange) but the p. aureus in my garden
smells of bubble gum - not nice. The young leaves are a beautiful colour,
though, especially with some alliums flowing in front of them.

On paths, where you'll brush past them, rosemary and lavender. Neither smell
strong (in my garden) until you brush against them. Also to be brushed past
is lemon balm, with a refreshing lemon scent, but this is invasive like mint
so plant it somewhere where it can be kept in check.

For winter, Daphne mezereum is nice close to a door, where you'll pass it
and appreciate its scent.

HTH

--
Sally Holmes
Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England

Old 02-08-2005, 03:03 PM
cineman

I might add that i get most of my sweet pea seed from here
http://www.eaglenursery.co.uk/seed%20list.htm

usually buy at gardeners world live at the nec birmingham, where this
nursery exhibits, ( they won a gold at chelsea this year) and plant the seed
in the autumn and keep in VERY cold greenhouse over winter.
have had good success with the seed

Old 02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
Kay

In article , Mike Lyle mike_lyle_uk@REM
OVETHISyahoo.co.uk writes

Old-fashioned pinks are a favourite of mine: very easy to grow, and a
cinch to propagate. At the nursery, choose the ones with the best
scent. For properly scented roses, the main man is David Austin. Take
care when buying sweet pea seed: buy only the ones which make the
strongest claim for their scent, as simply "sweetly scented" or
something like that is often a big exaggeration.

Matucana, one of the old fashioned varieties, is excellent for scent -
available from Thompson and Morgan and, IIRC, Chiltern

--
Kay

Old 02-08-2005, 07:37 PM
H Ryder

Suggestions?

with roses many modern ones (usually called hybrid tea roses) flower
continually but do not smell much. Old fashioned ones often smell wonderful
but only get one big lot of flowers a year - they look wonderful (and smell
wonderful) this once but then are just covered in leaves. If you want a rose
which flowers continually and smells strongly it is best to buy one by David
Austin - sometimes called English Roses - they tend to cost more than the
others but, I think, are worth it as you only buy them once Also you
quite often can either find them reduced in Autumn at garden centres or see
offers in magazines where you can buy several at once at a reduced price.

Hayley