Old 10-10-2005, 08:04 PM
tahiri

Default garden lights

Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on sticks in the
garden, because I can't see the point at all. There is a pair of them near
me by a large garden pond, that are left on 24 hours a day and they are
really bright. Unless anyone knows better I assume they are simply to show
that he has too much money to be concerned by electricity bills. (we knew
that already as his tall fountain also runs permanently and he has just put
up another massive decking for a large pergola type construction)
T.

Old 10-10-2005, 08:15 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
tahiri wrote:
Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on sticks in the
garden, because I can't see the point at all. There is a pair of them near
me by a large garden pond, that are left on 24 hours a day and they are
really bright. Unless anyone knows better I assume they are simply to show
that he has too much money to be concerned by electricity bills. (we knew
that already as his tall fountain also runs permanently and he has just put
up another massive decking for a large pergola type construction)

Potlatch.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 PM
Cereus-validus.......

To scare away polecats and other tresspassers.

Only an idiot would leave them on 24 hours a day.

Much more effective when hooked up to a timer or motion detector.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:02 PM
Mike Lyle

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
tahiri wrote:
Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on

sticks
in the garden, because I can't see the point at all. There is a

pair
of them near me by a large garden pond, that are left on 24 hours

day and they are really bright. Unless anyone knows better I

assume
they are simply to show that he has too much money to be concerned
by electricity bills. (we knew that already as his tall fountain
also runs permanently and he has just put up another massive

decking
for a large pergola type construction)

Potlatch.

Perfect analysis!

--
Mike.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:19 PM
Phil L

tahiri wrote:
:: Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on sticks in
:: the garden, because I can't see the point at all. There is a pair of
:: them near me by a large garden pond, that are left on 24 hours a day and
:: they are really bright. Unless anyone knows better I assume they are
:: simply to show that he has too much money to be concerned by electricity
:: bills. (we knew that already as his tall fountain also runs permanently
:: and he has just put up another massive decking for a large pergola type
:: construction)
:: T.

This type of extravagance is often displayed by vulgar people who are
desperate to prove their status, it stems from a lack of security IMHO, if
he was comfortable about his wealth/status, he wouldn't need to keep
reiterating it through pathetic gestures like this, my advice?

Pity the fool!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:21 PM
Phil L

Phil L wrote:
:: tahiri wrote:
:::: Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on sticks in
:::: the garden, because I can't see the point at all. There is a pair of
:::: them near me by a large garden pond, that are left on 24 hours a day
:::: and they are really bright. Unless anyone knows better I assume they
:::: are simply to show that he has too much money to be concerned by
:::: electricity bills. (we knew that already as his tall fountain also
:::: runs permanently and he has just put up another massive decking for a
:::: large pergola type construction)
:::: T.
::
::
:: This type of extravagance is often displayed by vulgar people who are
:: desperate to prove their status, it stems from a lack of security IMHO,
:: if he was comfortable about his wealth/status, he wouldn't need to keep
:: reiterating it through pathetic gestures like this, my advice?
::
::
::
:: Pity the fool!

I forgot to add, truly wealthy people would never leave lights on through
the daytime, in my considerable dealings with them I have found them to be
as tight as a ducks ar$e!

--
If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs.

Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 PM
cineman

Please don't look in my garden then.
I have about 20 lights spread over my garden, but they only come after a day
of sun.
Must admit it looks a bit like blackpool in October some times.
The garden is 125 foot long and they are only at night.
If they worry my neighbours, I shall be pleased, as the noise of their
outdoor bath running 24 hours annoys me, especially during the summer when
bedroom windows need to be kept open at night.
Still back to topic. I like my lights and so do some of my neighbours.....
regards
Cineman
P.S
Dont know what it is in latin but, but engllish translation is ( live and
let live)

Old 10-10-2005, 10:41 PM
Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:21:18 GMT, Phil L wrote:

:::: Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on
:::: sticks in the garden, because I can't see the point at all.
:::: There is a pair of them near me by a large garden pond, that are
:::: left on 24 hours a day and they are really bright.

Landing and night time fishing lights for herons?

I forgot to add, truly wealthy people would never leave lights on
through the daytime, in my considerable dealings with them I have
found them to be as tight as a ducks ar$e!

Well you don't get rich by spending it... As the old saying goes look
after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 11-10-2005, 12:13 PM
JennyC

"cineman" wrote in message
. ..
Please don't look in my garden then.
I have about 20 lights spread over my garden, but they only come after a day
of sun.

snipped

Aghhhhhhh - should be banned

We were recently in one of the (allegedly) darkest places on Earth (Bryce Canyon
USA) and one could actually see the Milky Way !!

Light pollution is a big problem for wildlife too

Jenny

Old 11-10-2005, 01:57 PM
cineman

Dont have much a problem with wildlife here, wild birds eating me out of
house and home, frogs, newts, field mice, herons,( just visiting) maybe
badgers, hedgehogs. All seem to make a bee line for my garden, oh yes and
bee's.
As the lights are single led solar lights only give off a glow at low level.
Thay cannot compete with street lighting for brightness.
hear what you say about light pollution tho.
regards
Cineman

"JennyC" wrote in message

. ..

Old 11-10-2005, 03:15 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "JennyC" contains these words:
"cineman" wrote in message
. ..
Please don't look in my garden then.
I have about 20 lights spread over my garden, but they only come
after a day
of sun.

snipped

Aghhhhhhh - should be banned

I found the top of one of those lying beside the road. It didn't work,
but i picked it up all the same 'cos it had one of those high-output
LEDs in it and the NiCad accumulator.

I found that by resoldering the LED legs in, it worked. It fits on top
of a candle lamp I have: it has a frosted globe with ferny pattern of
clear glass, so I made a reflector from a cocoa tin seal and the light
from the mainly downwards-facing LED is thrown back up. It looks for all
the world like a small Tilley table lamp with a mini mantle, and there's
*JUST* enough light to read by.

So, they're not all bad.

We were recently in one of the (allegedly) darkest places on Earth
(Bryce Canyon
USA) and one could actually see the Milky Way !!

You don't have to go down a canyon to see the Milky way - you can see it
from my garden - clouds permitting. I unforget having an eleven-year-old
from Greater London staying with me one January, and we had just fed the
rabbits and he looked up and saw the sky. It was a particularly clear
one and you could almost reach up and pick the stars. He gasped with
wonder - he'd never seen a night sky unpolluted with sodium lamps and
the like, and was convinced it was another marvellous function of
Norfolk...

Light pollution is a big problem for wildlife too

It's certainly queered the pitch for glow-worms.

--
Rusty
http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/
Old 11-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Geoff

"tahiri" wrote in message
Can someone please explain the attraction of bright lights on sticks in
the garden . . . . . . . Snip

No, but why not print some of the replies and pop them in his letterbox to
make him squirm?!!

Geoff.

Why don't most of you gardeners use "secateurs" on your replies to snip them
down to size? G

Sian garden lights by Ring Bob H United Kingdom 1 24-09-2003 10:12 PM
Solar Powered Garden Lights. Any Good? AuralFeast Gardening 12 01-07-2003 04:08 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 3 20-04-2003 06:22 AM
garden Lights Howie United Kingdom 0 17-04-2003 09:08 PM
Lights On / Lights Off... is this OK? Bill Beam Freshwater Aquaria Plants 6 15-02-2003 01:54 PM