Old 02-12-2005, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

Default Sign of the garden centre times........

Tumbleweed wrote:
Can you not give it a rest?

Ditto

Ditto ditto.

Obviously there's been a disagreement in the past. Fair enough - it
happens. I'm not really that interested - it just makes it difficult to
enjoy the newsgroup when there's so much noise to filter out. Shame.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Ian
Keeling writes
Tumbleweed wrote:
Can you not give it a rest?

Ditto

Ditto ditto.

Obviously there's been a disagreement in the past. Fair enough - it
happens. I'm not really that interested - it just makes it difficult to
enjoy the newsgroup when there's so much noise to filter out. Shame.

In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time. I miss Alan Gould and his posts. They are made
with gardening passion!
--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2005, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian Keeling

June Hughes wrote:
In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time. I miss Alan Gould and his posts. They are made
with gardening passion!

I suppose in the winter gardeners spend too much time indoors and are
inclined to stroppiness. I know I've not been out as much as I should
have been in the cold weather (we had, oh, a whole degree of frost here
the other night). I couldn't even be bothered to take my pomegranate
seedling in, because advice on here is that they can stand a little cold.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

June Hughes wrote:

In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time.

Oh, this isn't at all bad; hardly worse than some folks at the garden club
meeting after an ale or three... There are precious few in my killfile,
and I prefer to keep my own council on those entries.
I'm propagating a few things that are new to me under lights, to help keep
my sanity.
Veering only a bit off-topic: I find that my Celtic genes resonate a lot
more closely with some of the ancient lore than what passes for modern
"Religion"* these days. It seems that a lot of people aren't paying
particular attention to what their religion really teaches. Ah well, the
solstice and Yule are coming, bringing renewal just behind them.

*No, I'm not naming names, branches, or any of that.

But that's quite enough of that! Here in the north-central part of (New)
York, the wind is howling around the windows and there's white stuff borne
along by it.

Cheers!
Old 03-12-2005, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
middleton.walker

"Gary Woods" wrote in message
June Hughes wrote:

In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time.

..
I'm propagating a few things that are new to me under lights, to help keep
my sanity.
*No, I'm not naming names, branches, or any of that.

But that's quite enough of that! Here in the north-central part of (New)
York, the wind is howling around the windows and there's white stuff borne
along by it.

Cheers!
Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at
home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic

I am with you on that one Gary.....tomato plants in the basement shud be
producing a few ripe toms by the end of this December, a few crocosmia
seedlings, a few catcus seedlings and lettuce ready for picking....the
indoor gardening down in the basements helps in the sanity area....a nice
glass of ale now and then but more then than now adds to the pleasure of
indoor gardening.....H

Old 03-12-2005, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Dave Poole" wrote in message
news
June Hughes wrote:

In the distant past, we always found that we had a lot of bickering on
urg in the winter-time.

I don't seem to remember it being that bad June. Occasionally a few
might fire off a slightly terse response when the wind was in the
wrong direction. It caused a bit of ruckus for a day or so, but
generally things were pretty even. There again, we didn't have the
disinterested interlopers whose only aim was to aggravate and snipe
either, let alone invasions from psychologically pre-pubile oiks.

I miss Alan Gould and his posts. They are made
with gardening passion!

Is he no longer posting? I agree he was very passionate about his
style of gardening and generally came out with a good degree of
quality info when it came to organics. Personally, I didn't get on
with him, but that was mainly to do with 'stuff' at Expert Gardener,
which unfortunately overflowed into this group and then we lost Tony
McCormaic . Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ... so was Sacha's
wedding.

Going back to the original, Sacha, the HTA (Horticultural Trades
Association) were putting out idiotic questionnaires like that back in
the '70's. I never filled them in because they failed to address the
nursery trade proper. I took the local rep to task about it once and
he glibly replied that the assumption was that everyone had both hardy
and non hardy plants. I think I muttered something about never having
seen rose bushes sold by garden furniture manufacturers, but didn't
pursue it. Logic does not seem to have improved over the years.

Dave Poole
Torquay, Coastal South Devon UK
Winter min -2°C. Summer max 34°C.
Growing season: March - November

I field a number of phone calls from people trying to get my "garden Centre"
to stock their range of what ever it is, When I explain that we are not a
garden centre but a Nursery they frequently assure me its the same thing,
many customers also appear to no longer realise there is a difference.
I noticed our local GC now has a branch of a well know clothing company
selling fashion items, I fear trying to turn back the clock may be like
trying to hold back the tide with a stick.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
Sig removed to avoid offending the easily offended!

Old 03-12-2005, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/12/05 10:14, in article ,
"Dave Poole" wrote:
snip
Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ... so was Sacha's
wedding.

Five and an 'arf now! ;-) We had hoped Tony and Mrs Taz would get down
here for a few days this summer but his life just became too incredibly
busy. It would be nice to see Mrs Taz's van lumbering into the car park
again - lost and late!!

Going back to the original, Sacha, the HTA (Horticultural Trades
Association) were putting out idiotic questionnaires like that back in
the '70's. I never filled them in because they failed to address the
nursery trade proper. I took the local rep to task about it once and
he glibly replied that the assumption was that everyone had both hardy
and non hardy plants. I think I muttered something about never having
seen rose bushes sold by garden furniture manufacturers, but didn't
pursue it. Logic does not seem to have improved over the years.

That makes me think of a visit we made to the small but choice nursery run
by Mrs Marrow of "Patty's Plum" fame. She was complaining bitterly about
everyone jumping on the selling of plants bandwagon, even, she said, her
local ironmonger. "I don't sell bloody nails, so what's he doing selling
plants" was her view.
But one recent questionnaire also asked us about the ethnic background of
our staff. Now that I do think is intrusive cheek - what on earth has that
got to do with the horticultural industry. As it is, Ray or Matthew are
obliged to fill in a form from DEFRA every year about precise quantities of
which type of what has been sold over the twelve month period. Exactly what
DEFRA does with this info, I can't imagine. Whether we sell one thousand or
two thousand or ten thousand Primulas surely cannot matter to anyone but us!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2005, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Sacha wrote:
On 2/12/05 6:54 pm, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Mike wrote:

. Please note - nowhere does it say 'plants'.

;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

and you just had to have a dig and advertise your business din't you?

:-((((

Can you not give it a rest?

It's part of his SIG which you read about in the Usenet Guidelines and
it's four lines, good man! Anyway, it's a great name as it reminds me
of when I could afford to stay at Hill House - In the dark! In the night!

She - wife of owner. ;-) You stayed at Hill House? This Hill House? Ray
and his first wife used to run the cottage as a holiday let many years ago.
Were you one of their guests there?

No, *THE* Hill House (actually Ettington Park Hotel)!

http://www.kdbanglia.com/hillhouse.htm

Stepping out of the taxi at night then looking up at that tower had the
same effect on us as it did for Eleanor, the character whom Julie Harris
played in the original 'The Haunting' film.

Richard.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes

In message , Dave Poole
writes
Janet Baraclough wrote:

Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ...

Hard to believe isn't it.

Yes, what a shame it all fell to bits. What was the name of the hotel
in Windsor that we all met up in and alternatively squinted in the
glare of Titchmarsh's scarlet sweater, whilst being 'won over' by the
smooth talking Californian?

Urg is also (sadly) missing Jill, Pete
and Tim from back when.

I heard from Tim a few weeks ago and must reply at some stage. He
seems in very good spirits.

And Jane Ransom?
--
June Hughes
Old 03-12-2005, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/12/05 12:05, in article , "Janet
Baraclough" wrote:

snip Urg is also (sadly) missing Jill, Pete
and Tim from back when.

Janet.

And Jane.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2005, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 3/12/05 14:33, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:
On 2/12/05 6:54 pm, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

V. satisfactorily spooky, though I'm afraid I'd never heard of it!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 03-12-2005, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Richard Brooks

Sacha wrote:
On 3/12/05 14:33, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Sacha wrote:

On 2/12/05 6:54 pm, in article
, "Richard Brooks"
wrote:

Mike wrote:

[...]

It was one of Robert Wise's great productions, not to be confused with
this one;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171363/

The original and best!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00009NHB6/002-0677957-2556853?v=glance&n=130

The son of mate of mine was into tons of blood and gore and I said I'd
lend him the video of 'The Haunting' predicting him to laugh at it as
it's more psychological than 'in your face' horror. He returned it and
surprise to me he said "Oh my God! I couldn't watch it on my own. I
had to get my girlfriend around to watch it with me!"

It still fits your garden centre as people could still say "no-one will
come anywhere nearer than town - in the dark - in the night! No-one can
hear you scream - in the dark - in the night!" And damned right too
otherwise they're trespassing 'out of hours'.

Richard.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from Dave Poole contains these words:

June Hughes wrote:

I miss Alan Gould and his posts. They are made
with gardening passion!

Is he no longer posting? I agree he was very passionate about his
style of gardening and generally came out with a good degree of
quality info when it came to organics. Personally, I didn't get on
with him, but that was mainly to do with 'stuff' at Expert Gardener,

:-) I just took a look in google .He's not been put through a shredder
yet, still posting in another group.

. Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ...

Hard to believe isn't it. Urg is also (sadly) missing Jill, Pete
and Tim from back when.
Janet.

Jill has been busy moving house........"~)
She has a whole new garden to play with and maybe we can entice her back!
Jenny

Old 04-12-2005, 10:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Crikey!!! E.G. - that was 5 years ago ...

Hard to believe isn't it.

Yes, what a shame it all fell to bits.

Useful steppingstone to Crocus, for some

What was the name of the hotel
in Windsor that we all met up in and alternatively squinted in the
glare of Titchmarsh's scarlet sweater, whilst being 'won over' by the
smooth talking Californian?

Can't remember now; I'm even struggling to recall the name of the
fatherless stC. I would like to know what became of him following his
next debacle (which lost 6 million up-front investment, even faster)

David Weill ?

Jenny

Allotment agreement with Council - sign or not sign Rajinder Nijjhar United Kingdom 7 20-03-2010 10:05 AM
Blooms Garden Centre Jason Pope United Kingdom 3 14-01-2004 11:19 PM
Sign of the times Sacha United Kingdom 7 22-10-2003 06:02 PM
Garden Centre Pricing Stephen G United Kingdom 9 21-04-2003 04:46 PM