Old 18-12-2005, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Default Ticks

I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower meadows"
and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read this about
ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

(found on another Ng)

--
Regards
Bob

Old 18-12-2005, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Shazam

seems a tad over health'n'safety conscious to me. But I remember being
horrified to find one on the dog's neck about 40 years ago. Friend said the
best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a cigarette
because it withdrew its head

Old 18-12-2005, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower meadows"
and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read this about
ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

Also Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, typhus etc. The incidence of
Lyme Fever in the UK does indicate that it is pretty common - after
all, 99% of people are effectively not exposed to the countryside.
However, that is STILL only a 0.1% chance of being infected.

That article makes me think that BADA should really stand for the
British Association for Dramatic Anxiety.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2005, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:12:02 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

... I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower meadows"
... and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read this about
... ticks and the diseases they can cause...
... http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm
... It's an increasing problem in the UK.
... (found on another Ng)

My dog gets ticks every year at some point .... I have run around the
fells through head high bracken and crossed acres of heather for the
last 20 years.
Only got a full blown tick once but the bare legs did get covered by
their first stage (larvae I think) on Jura. lots of red pinhead sized
thingys.
You just have to go with the flow and just be observant and not
paranoid ;-)
There are worst things to worry about.

Mike
Old 18-12-2005, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

wrote:

.. I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower

meadows"
.. and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read this

about
.. ticks and the diseases they can cause...
..
.. http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm
..
.. It's an increasing problem in the UK.
..
.. (found on another Ng)

My dog gets ticks every year at some point .... I have run around the
fells through head high bracken and crossed acres of heather for the
last 20 years.
Only got a full blown tick once but the bare legs did get covered by
their first stage (larvae I think) on Jura. lots of red pinhead sized
thingys.
You just have to go with the flow and just be observant and not
paranoid ;-)
There are worst things to worry about.

Mike

By using a decent prescription flea treatment your dogs and cats will be
safe. Frontline for instance offers protection against ticks as does
stronghold.
If you don't have a filthy habit like smoking, you won't have a lighted gag
to hand. In any case I doubt I would get close to any of my animals with a
stinking glowing fag end to be able to burn the thing off. I would give the
thing a squirt of frontline. But since my pets already have the protection
of frontline or stronghold it wouldn't be necessary.

Old 18-12-2005, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
ned

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message
In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower

meadows"
and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read

this about
ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

Also Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, typhus etc. The incidence of
Lyme Fever in the UK does indicate that it is pretty common - after
all, 99% of people are effectively not exposed to the countryside.
However, that is STILL only a 0.1% chance of being infected.

That article makes me think that BADA should really stand for the
British Association for Dramatic Anxiety.

Hear, hear!

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 12.12.2005

Old 18-12-2005, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Andy Cap

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:55:42 -0000, "PammyT"
wrote:

By using a decent prescription flea treatment your dogs and cats will be
safe. Frontline for instance offers protection against ticks as does
stronghold.
If you don't have a filthy habit like smoking, you won't have a lighted gag
to hand. In any case I doubt I would get close to any of my animals with a
stinking glowing fag end to be able to burn the thing off. I would give the
thing a squirt of frontline. But since my pets already have the protection
of frontline or stronghold it wouldn't be necessary.

Of course if you didn't pander to the flea ridden, fun loving
predators in the first place, we wouldn't need to broadcast such
unecessary chemical compounds into the environment. ;-)

Andy
Old 18-12-2005, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

Shazam" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" posted

I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower
meadows" and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read
this about ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

seems a tad over health'n'safety conscious to me. But I remember being
horrified to find one on the dog's neck about 40 years ago. Friend said
the best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a
cigarette because it withdrew its head

Just laying out the possibilities and what to do, I felt it a rather
balanced article with no hint of sensationalism, others appear to disagree.
I thought the cigarette thing was for Leeches in tropical jungles? :-)

Old 18-12-2005, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Shazam" contains these words:

Friend said the
best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a cigarette
because it withdrew its head

Not recommended practice. The tick is plugged in to the host and
sucking on blood by its mouthpart. Burning causes the tick to grip
tighter and contract, which injects its stomach contents back through
the mouth into the hosts epidermis. So if it is carrying Borrelia, the
host gets the full load delivered into the bloodstream. .

I've removed many hundreds of ticks from animals and family (we lived in
a tick-infested area of Scotland with Lyme risk present). Briskly grip
the tick with your nail-tips, as close to the skin as possible (do not
squeeze the tick body with your fingers) and tweak. This removes the
whole insect instantly, including the entire mouthpart.

If you're too slow, the tick will grip tighter and you'll pull off
the body leaving the head imbedded, to become an irritating little
lump.

Janet

So, in summary, the tick does not open its mouth to say "Ouch"-it grits its
teeth.

Old 18-12-2005, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 11:43, in article
ws.net, "Shazam"
wrote:

seems a tad over health'n'safety conscious to me. But I remember being
horrified to find one on the dog's neck about 40 years ago. Friend said the
best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a cigarette
because it withdrew its head

snip

NEVER pull it away. You can use a lighted cigarette if you have someone
around who smokes but animals hate the smell of cigarettes, sensible
creatures. We use a cotton bud dipped in meths or white spirit. The tick
drops off almost immediately. I'm told that coating the tick with olive oil
works because it suffocates them but it seems a waste of olive oil! I
haven't tried that one myself!
We regularly use Frontline or similar on the dogs but invariably they pick
up one or two ticks a year.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

NEVER pull it away. You can use a lighted cigarette if you have someone
around who smokes but animals hate the smell of cigarettes, sensible
creatures. We use a cotton bud dipped in meths or white spirit. The tick
drops off almost immediately. I'm told that coating the tick with olive oil
works because it suffocates them but it seems a waste of olive oil! I
haven't tried that one myself!

I have tried pulling fast and slowly, twisting, oil and cigarettes.
None of those work. If I get a tick close to home, I may try meths
and white spirit, but can't carry those on the hills if I am flying
there. I am afraid that I am not optimistic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2005, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

PammyT wrote:
(snip)

If you don't have a filthy habit like smoking, you won't have a lighted gag
to hand.

'Lighted gag' - nice say. Never heard it called like this before )

I had dogs for about 20 years in England, 4 dogs in all, and strangely
enough they never had ticks. In France, our 2 dogs kept getting them.
Perhaps something to do with the countryside?! My dogs here are however
going with us everywhere, from Scotland to Cornwall ... very strange
(even yesterday we were in Liverpool ;o) In France, we used to take a
thin cloth which we had covered with Eau de Cologne and grabbing the
tick very close to the skin, the scent used to make them dizzy or
sleepy we imagined, the tick loosened their grip and we could twist
them out.

I've lost my appetite suddenly (

Old 18-12-2005, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I have tried pulling fast and slowly, twisting, oil and cigarettes.
None of those work. If I get a tick close to home, I may try meths
and white spirit, but can't carry those on the hills if I am flying
there. I am afraid that I am not optimistic.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

We moved into a house with a VERY LARGE overgrown garden in Leicester and
one of my daughters got 'something' on the back of her neck. This turned out
to be a tick. What the hell is a tick? etc etc etc.

We had a Doctor living nearby and I went to see him.

Surgical Spirit, wad of Cotton wool, gentle pressure and a squeeze with a
gripping outward pressure. GONE :-)))

That was in about 1968. No after effects :-))

She now lives in a Manor House with umpteen acres and her problem now is
Badgers under the Tennis Court.

Surgical Spirit?

"I think not" :-))

Mike

Mike

Old 18-12-2005, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I've lost my appetite suddenly (

You would if the same thing happened to you as happened to one of our dogs,
stung in the mouth by a wasp :-((

Old 18-12-2005, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

wrote:

By using a decent prescription flea treatment your dogs and cats will be
safe. Frontline for instance offers protection against ticks as does
stronghold.
If you don't have a filthy habit like smoking, you won't have a lighted

gag
to hand. In any case I doubt I would get close to any of my animals with

stinking glowing fag end to be able to burn the thing off. I would give

the
thing a squirt of frontline. But since my pets already have the

protection
of frontline or stronghold it wouldn't be necessary.

Of course if you didn't pander to the flea ridden, fun loving
predators in the first place, we wouldn't need to broadcast such
unecessary chemical compounds into the environment. ;-)

My dogs are neither flea ridden (because I use decent flea treatments) nor
predatory.

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!! Ig.Gardener Gardening 19 14-05-2011 04:23 AM
Worm Bin & Ticks / Neem John T. Jarrett Gardening 8 28-05-2004 05:02 AM
TICKS AND MOSQUITOES Hound [email protected] Gardening 2 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM