Old 18-12-2005, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

Default Ticks

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message ews.net
from "Shazam" contains these words:

Friend said the
best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a cigarette
because it withdrew its head

Not recommended practice. The tick is plugged in to the host and
sucking on blood by its mouthpart. Burning causes the tick to grip
tighter and contract, which injects its stomach contents back through
the mouth into the hosts epidermis. So if it is carrying Borrelia, the
host gets the full load delivered into the bloodstream. .

I've removed many hundreds of ticks from animals and family (we lived in
a tick-infested area of Scotland with Lyme risk present). Briskly grip
the tick with your nail-tips, as close to the skin as possible (do not
squeeze the tick body with your fingers) and tweak. This removes the
whole insect instantly, including the entire mouthpart.

If you're too slow, the tick will grip tighter and you'll pull off
the body leaving the head imbedded, to become an irritating little
lump.
Janet

I can never manage to get them of like that.
A friend once had a nifty plastic gadget. It was a piece of flat plastic with a
tiny wedge shape cut out of it, with which you could sort of scoop the tick
away. It worked a treat,.

Does anyone have any idea where I might buy such a thingy?

BTW I don't mean those special tweezers they sell - tried those = useless!

Jenny

Old 18-12-2005, 07:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 16:57, in article
, "Mike"
wrote:
snip
She now lives in a Manor House with umpteen acres

What is the name of the hotel your daughter and her husband run?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Why do you want to stay there?

Or just being nosey?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 18/12/05 16:57, in article
, "Mike"

Old 18-12-2005, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 16:49, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

NEVER pull it away. You can use a lighted cigarette if you have someone
around who smokes but animals hate the smell of cigarettes, sensible
creatures. We use a cotton bud dipped in meths or white spirit. The tick
drops off almost immediately. I'm told that coating the tick with olive oil
works because it suffocates them but it seems a waste of olive oil! I
haven't tried that one myself!

I have tried pulling fast and slowly, twisting, oil and cigarettes.
None of those work. If I get a tick close to home, I may try meths
and white spirit, but can't carry those on the hills if I am flying
there. I am afraid that I am not optimistic.

Perhaps if you're meeting people at the hill end of your journey, you could
ensure that they have a tiny supply with them. It really can be very small.
One dab seems to do it for the ticks our dogs have encountered. While I'm
sure Janet has extracted ticks by her method, nobody I know has succeeded in
using it and not leaving the head behind to fester. There really is a knack
to getting that right. Pack some cotton buds in your check in luggage and
you're ready to go. Don't put them in your hand luggage because, as I am
quite sure you will realise, someone will accuse you of threatening to hold
up an entire plane load of people by telling the pilot to fly you to Cuba or
you'll remove his ear wax.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 19:10, in article
, "Mike"
wrote:

Why do you want to stay there?
Or just being nosey?

No. Just laughing at your mendacity. Yet again.
"My daughter lives in a Manor House with umpteen acres". She runs a hotel
for god's sake.
Why not be honest and proud about what your daughter *really* does? Why try
to dress her up as some Lady of the Manor when your claims are so bogus?
What a prat you are.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I think the expression is 'It takes one to find one' :-))

It just happens to be a Manor House Hotel, very highly rated and possibly
outside your price range :-)) Sorry. Would you like a brochure of the B&B's
on the Isle of Wight? I will have one sent to you :-))

Another complaint to my ISP? ;-)

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tells lies
:-))
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 18/12/05 19:10, in article
, "Mike"

Old 18-12-2005, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 19:26, in article
, "Mike"
wrote:

I think the expression is 'It takes one to find one' :-))

It just happens to be a Manor House Hotel,

But not the place that turns you into the father of a Lady of the Manor, is
it? It's a HOTEL, a business, not your daughter's 'stately home', as you
have tried to convey to this group. You are so dishonest you don't know
which side of the mirror to look in each morning.

very highly rated and possibly
outside your price range :-)) Sorry. Would you like a brochure of the B&B's
on the Isle of Wight? I will have one sent to you :-))

No thanks. We prefer the Island Hotel in Tresco. Unpretentious style is
rather more in our line than a hotel where the owner's father has to boast
about what it costs to stay there. So common.

Another complaint to my ISP? ;-)

Why would I bother your ISP? You're too trivial.

Mike
Who doesn't knowingly tells lies

Michael, you lie like a rug. We all know it, so don't bother to keep
denying it. Waste of space in every sense.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Another complaint to my ISP? ;-)

Why would I bother your ISP? You're too trivial.

??? now who is the liar? or was it your friend Barrowcloth?

By the way, MOST surprised to you saying that SHE was wrong :-((

Handbags at dawn?

Sharpened fingernails?

:-))

Old 18-12-2005, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Mike wrote:

We moved into a house with a VERY LARGE overgrown garden in Leicester and
one of my daughters got 'something' on the back of her neck. This turned out
to be a tick. What the hell is a tick? etc etc etc.

We had a Doctor living nearby and I went to see him.

The mind boggles. I have removed many dozens of ticks from myself,
in three continents, and would never dream of going to a doctor.

Surgical Spirit, wad of Cotton wool, gentle pressure and a squeeze with a
gripping outward pressure. GONE :-)))

Despite all of the comments on this thread, the critical factor is
how deeply a tick is dug in. If it is just biting lightly, then
any reasonable method will remove it. If it has burrowed right in,
then the only way to remove it completely is by cutting it out.

My guess is that the tendency of ticks to dig in is species specific,
but I have no certain knowledge of that.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2005, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 19:42, in article
, "Mike"
wrote:

Another complaint to my ISP? ;-)

Why would I bother your ISP? You're too trivial.

??? now who is the liar? or was it your friend Barrowcloth?

By the way, MOST surprised to you saying that SHE was wrong :-((

Handbags at dawn?

Sharpened fingernails?

:-))

You're dribbling, Michael.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 18/12/05 19:42, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

snip

My guess is that the tendency of ticks to dig in is species specific,
but I have no certain knowledge of that.

It's pure guesswork but I think that how gorged the tick is might have
something to do with ease of removal, too, don't you?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 18-12-2005, 07:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

Perhaps if you're meeting people at the hill end of your journey, you could
ensure that they have a tiny supply with them. It really can be very small.

Anything up to a week later :-)

I can't swear to it, but am pretty sure that I have tried meths.
As I have just posted, nothing works once a tick is dug right in,
and most things work if it isn't. I shall give white spirit a go,
but I don't think that it will be any different.

And it is quite possible that the ticks that I couldn't get out
weren't sheep ticks - there are quite a few other species that will
bit humans. I don't have a clue what the species were in the other
continents.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2005, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

Maclaren" wrote:

My guess is that the tendency of ticks to dig in is species specific,
but I have no certain knowledge of that.

It's pure guesswork but I think that how gorged the tick is might have
something to do with ease of removal, too, don't you?

Absolutely. Few people will let them gorge, though! I was referring
to the initial stages, up to and including the one where they cause
the white/red ring. My experience is that ones in that stage are
impossible to remove cleanly, but I can't swear whether that is the
stage of feeding or the species.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-12-2005, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
Shazam" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" posted

I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower
meadows" and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read
this about ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

seems a tad over health'n'safety conscious to me. But I remember being
horrified to find one on the dog's neck about 40 years ago. Friend said
the best thing to do, rather than pull it away, was touch it with a
cigarette because it withdrew its head

Just laying out the possibilities and what to do, I felt it a rather
balanced article with no hint of sensationalism, others appear to disagree.
I thought the cigarette thing was for Leeches in tropical jungles? :-)

The note appears to be very similar to the resource on ticks that we use
as H&S guidance at the moment -
http://www.bada-uk.org/pdfdocs/outdo...its_groups.pdf
--
Robert
Old 18-12-2005, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

We had several old apple trees in our garden when we moved here 30 years
ago, and the cats loved climbing, however one of the side effects were ticks
from the trees, we used the surgical spirit , but twisted and sharply pulled
at same time never caused any lasting problems with animals.
Moral; Watch out for old apple trees as tick source.
regards
Cineman

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I know there are some walkers on this NG and some with "wild flower
meadows" and yet more are dog walkers so I though you would like to read
this about ticks and the diseases they can cause...

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~mickl...%20Disease.htm

It's an increasing problem in the UK.

(found on another Ng)

--
Regards
Bob

Ticks! Ticks! Ticks!!! Ig.Gardener Gardening 19 14-05-2011 04:23 AM
Worm Bin & Ticks / Neem John T. Jarrett Gardening 8 28-05-2004 05:02 AM
TICKS AND MOSQUITOES Hound [email protected] Gardening 2 27-05-2004 03:02 AM
ticks and fleas ratSenoL Texas 1 17-06-2003 07:43 PM
Ticks, Ticks and more Ticks Lar Gardening 25 07-05-2003 08:44 PM