Old 12-01-2006, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Default mystery plant

In message .com, La
Puce writes

Janet Baraclough wrote:

What a moron. You really haven't the faintest clue how usenet,
news-servers, and newsreaders work, do you?

You come in here repeating what I said, re-spelling what I wrote and
Des wrote, confirming correct spelling as if asked, describing 3
varieties of flowers which we had already reviewed and discussed and
now calls me a moron when I point out to you that you just simply
repeated my second post. The moron is you Janet I'm afraid. I don't
give a fig about usenet, news servers and whatnot but I can confirm
that you're nasty and ugly. That I can.

UseNet is an asynchronous medium. It is not uncommon for person B to
write a reply similar to person A's after person A has posted, but
before person B has received person A's message.

BTW, if I've correctly identified the posts in question, Janet's was
written at 13:49, and yours at 14:12. So in this case you, not Janet,
would be person B.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 12-01-2006, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

BTW, if I've correctly identified the posts in question, Janet's was
written at 13:49, and yours at 14:12. So in this case you, not Janet,
would be person B.

) Well, my answer was at 1.33, not 14.12. The 14.12 was about the
stratium species relating to the link I sent Stevej. But it really
doesn't matter now because at 1.23 Janet was very busy crushing me on
another thread and admiting that she switches off archive-blockers so
that she can be rude to members. Quite sad.

Old 13-01-2006, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

"stevej" wrote in message

The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.

Yes, thanks I have found some information now with this spelling. They

like
well-drained and my soil is somewhat clayey so it's digging sand in for me
at weekend

so to pronunciation. Would it be 'sissy rink ee um'? with the emphasis on
the second word?

Old 13-01-2006, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/1/06 11:46, in article ,
"PammyT" wrote:

"stevej" wrote in message

The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.

Yes, thanks I have found some information now with this spelling. They

like
well-drained and my soil is somewhat clayey so it's digging sand in for me
at weekend

so to pronunciation. Would it be 'sissy rink ee um'? with the emphasis on
the second word?

More sizzy, IME but otherwise, yes.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"newsb" wrote in message
In article , Des Higgins
writes

I checked for any pages from Ireland only (I do not know how to restrict
google to uk pages)

If you have google toolbar, go to "Options", "Search", and at the bottom
should be a "Use google site" dropdown. Select UK and then a "Search UK"
tick box should appear that adds the uk option to your toolbar.

I just use my browser and tell it to go to www.google.com or www.google.ie
and do not have a google toolbar. I do it from Ireland and automatically
get an option to restrict searches to irish sites.

Otherwise, I should imagine that the country search preferences are
settable from the google preferences site.

Life is too short to even want to find such a place :-)

hth

--
regards andyw

Old 13-01-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 13/1/06 11:46, in article ,
"PammyT" wrote:

"stevej" wrote in message

The url Des gave contained the correct spelling, Sisyrinchium.

Yes, thanks I have found some information now with this spelling. They

like
well-drained and my soil is somewhat clayey so it's digging sand in for
me
at weekend

so to pronunciation. Would it be 'sissy rink ee um'? with the emphasis on
the second word?

More sizzy, IME but otherwise, yes.

You are right to qualify with IME as most latin pronunciations seem to be
learned and are specific to different countries, regions, language groups
and even religion of the speaker. Most of my plant pronunciations, I copied
from other botanists and turn out to be pretty arbitrarily different from
how the Romans would have said it. The religion reference was from a
supervisior in university who chuckled at how I pronounced Occellus and said
I was using catholic pronunciation (I learned latin from teh Christian
Brothers in Dublin).

Anyway, I would have said sissy rather than sizzy but realise I have no
grounds for this preference other that what I guessed the pronunciation to
be when I saw the name first and that is probably wrong anyway :-)

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/1/06 12:25, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

snip
Most of my plant pronunciations, I copied
from other botanists and turn out to be pretty arbitrarily different from
how the Romans would have said it. The religion reference was from a
supervisior in university who chuckled at how I pronounced Occellus and said
I was using catholic pronunciation (I learned latin from teh Christian
Brothers in Dublin).

Anyway, I would have said sissy rather than sizzy but realise I have no
grounds for this preference other that what I guessed the pronunciation to
be when I saw the name first and that is probably wrong anyway :-)

We've had pronunciation discussions on here quite often and I don't think
any one group has ever 'convinced' any other group! I say CLEMatis and
my husband says CleMAYtis. I say Kernomeles (Chaenomeles) and he says
SheNOMeles etc. etc. I suspect most of us pronounce the names of plants as
they are first taught to us by whoever - I'm sure I do.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

It's quite clear that her troll agenda is to disrupt this group with
misinformation, lies and personal abuse.

For someone who is openely saying that they switch off their archive
blocker so that they can be rude to members is frankly amazing.

What is very clear is that from the start on the 12th September to be
exact you launched into me when I first posted because you simply
didn't like me giving info to an enquiry, you didn't know anything
about me, you went on and on about me being a troll, you were rude,
disruptive to my discussion with others and since then you haven't
stopped.

What's more is that many have told me that what I say to you is very
much what many in here would like to say, but don't dare. I'm not like
that. I say what I think. What you see is what you get. Beside your
experience because you're 30 years older than me, and knowledge,
because you've got 30 years more practice, you are a bitter, ugly and
twisted old woman.

Old 13-01-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 13/1/06 12:25, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

snip
[...]

absolutely (we just copy pronunciations from each other).
I have noticed that some pronunciations are more manly and striking and
others are more wishy washy.
I have always thought liken rather than litchen for lichen to be more
assertive but then I prefer CLEMatis to cleMAYtis as teh latter sounds
american. I remember trying to pronounce urtica dioica when I was a kid as
ooortika dye-osha which sounded weird until I heard someone say dye-oyka
which sounded so much more knowledgeable and I have never looked back ever
since. Senecio as senekio I cannot get used to though so I say seneesio
which I am sure is wrong.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Des Higgins wrote:

Senecio as senekio I cannot get used to though so I say seneesio
which I am sure is wrong.

Why would you put the sound 'ee' there? Because you're almost right
with senesio. It's latin, not greek. 'Cio' is not 'kio' in latin, but
'sio'. But then you could just say Ragwort )

Old 13-01-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/1/06 14:02, in article
, "Des Higgins"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...

snip
We've had pronunciation discussions on here quite often and I don't think
any one group has ever 'convinced' any other group! I say CLEMatis and
my husband says CleMAYtis. I say Kernomeles (Chaenomeles) and he says
SheNOMeles etc. etc. I suspect most of us pronounce the names of plants
as
they are first taught to us by whoever - I'm sure I do.

snip
Senecio as senekio I cannot get used to though so I say seneesio
which I am sure is wrong.

I'm sure it must be. Because I say 'senekio'. ;-))

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-01-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:

The message om
from "La Puce" contains these words:
What you see is what you get.

How true,

Glad we agree.

as more and more posters keep noticing.

Indeed. I'm getting lovely presents, made new friends, found old ones
and hopefully will manage to meet with a few this year. Sorry to
disappoint. I wonder if anyone has heard of Stuart Baldwin. Haven't
seen him around in ages.

Old 13-01-2006, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Des
Higgins writes

absolutely (we just copy pronunciations from each other).
I have noticed that some pronunciations are more manly and striking and
others are more wishy washy.
I have always thought liken rather than litchen for lichen to be more
assertive but then I prefer CLEMatis to cleMAYtis as teh latter sounds
american. I remember trying to pronounce urtica dioica when I was a kid as
ooortika dye-osha which sounded weird until I heard someone say dye-oyka
which sounded so much more knowledgeable and I have never looked back ever
since. Senecio as senekio I cannot get used to though so I say seneesio
which I am sure is wrong.

Spanish, portuguese, english and I think italian all pronounce c as 'k'
when it is before a,o or u and as a softer sound 's', 'th' or 'ch'
before e or i. (English is confused by all the words we have derived
form non-S. european origins). So that would suggest you're right with
your pronounciation, though it sounds completely wrong to my ear! But
then, I learnt from my mother to say 'sissy rinch ium' ;-)
--
Kay Easton
Old 14-01-2006, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 13/1/06 20:34, in article ,
" wrote:
snip

Spanish, portuguese, english and I think italian all pronounce c as 'k'
when it is before a,o or u and as a softer sound 's', 'th' or 'ch'
before e or i. (English is confused by all the words we have derived
form non-S. european origins). So that would suggest you're right with
your pronounciation, though it sounds completely wrong to my ear! But
then, I learnt from my mother to say 'sissy rinch ium' ;-)

In Italian 'ch' is the k sound so church, 'chiesa' or closed 'chiuso' are
keyasa and kuso and dear 'cara' is kara. ski 'sciare' is sheearrray, fish
'pesce' is peshay.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-01-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Sacha wrote:

On 13/1/06 20:34, in article ,
" wrote:
snip
Spanish, portuguese, english and I think italian all pronounce c as 'k'
when it is before a,o or u and as a softer sound 's', 'th' or 'ch'
before e or i. (English is confused by all the words we have derived
form non-S. european origins). So that would suggest you're right with
your pronounciation, though it sounds completely wrong to my ear! But
then, I learnt from my mother to say 'sissy rinch ium' ;-)

In Italian 'ch' is the k sound so church, 'chiesa' or closed 'chiuso' are
keyasa and kuso and dear 'cara' is kara. ski 'sciare' is sheearrray, fish
'pesce' is peshay.

Therefore Senecio is pronounced Senesio.