Old 05-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Ophelia

Default Neighbours Help

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Our one with the central plastic tower does not smell and that's where we
put our kitchen waste, so it would be liable to.

Thanks Bob that is a brilliant idea. I will take up the idea of the pipe
down the centre

Old 05-04-2003, 08:08 AM
Ophelia

Hi Sarah

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness.

Cor she would love that LOL

My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags),

So do I although I thought there was new law about tea bags? I tend to
smuggle mine in LOL

BTW I have taken on board about putting a piece of perforated piping down
the centre.. do you think it would be useful to drill holes in the outside
of the bin itself?

also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

I have a lot to learn. I would have thought that would produce more
silage But it shall be done

Somewhat strangly, given that we do not eat a lot of citrus fruit, my heap
nearly always smells faintly of orange peel.... (well so I think at any
rate), however, when I used to run a plastic dalek heap, I occasionaly got
really smelly lumps in the compost where material had turned into silage
rather than compost. But this was nearly always due to a big clump of one
type of material being rammed in tight.

I would suggest mixing the stuff well as you chuck it in - if you have a
lot of hedge clippings, mix them with grass, if you've trimmed the ivy
back, mix it with the contents of the weeding bucket etc.. If you are
short of woody material you can add paper and cardboard. This will help
prevent anerobic consitions (i.e. silage production). I never turned the
stuff in my dalek - way too much work and very difficult. I just emptied
it 2 - 3 times a year, anything that wasn't compost was chucked back in.

Excellent. just the stuff I need to know I am just imagining madam's face
if we start to pull it out every few months LOL

Smell is personally subjective, what smells good to me may not smell good
to you ;-) Don't worry about your neighbour - she is just being majorly
petty. Implement URG's suggestions and most of that smell should go. Given
the new rules imposed on local councils with regard to composting organic
waste, they should be on your side for wanting to do you own - even if
your neighbour complains about the smell! As others have siad, I don't
think anyone could do anything unless your heap was proved to be a health
hazard, which is extremely unlikely! After all, the smell of dacaying
organic materials is perfectly normal unluike some other smells I could
mention.

Quite so. I don't know how this woman thinks things grow if they are not
fed Well it could take a long time for her posh new garden to die but I
wonder what she will do when it does!

Sarah
(P.S. I also see you on the sewing groups!)

Ooooh will keep a look out for you))))

Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Jayne

My neighbours are all very nice - the chickens are behind us & are really
the only ones affected by anything we do in the garden as the houses are
quite far apart - only 5 houses down our end of the lane.

Jayne
"Mike" wrote in message
I think you are unlucky if you do not have nice neighbours around you.
We have great ones all round and the help and advice given and received
is always welcome. Always someone to have a chat with and pass the time
of day :-))

Old 05-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Jayne

I agree - our council gives you your first bin free & then you can buy
further ones for £13.50.
My first one is full & we have another growing heap at the bottom of the
garden - I'm going to order a couple more.
We also have a recycling collection twice a month & a brand new recycling
centre for larger stuff, so as the councils are so keen on recycling &
composting I doubt they'd take any notice of her complaining about it!

Jayne

"Sue & Bob Hobden" wrote in message

As most Councils now hand out these plastic bins for a small sum because
they want all of us composting what can be composted instead of chucking

it
in the dustbin I don't think any Council is going to take her side of

this
argument.

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
david

".....Try some Horse Manure next, leave it to mature all summer (next to her
fence) before you use it. The ultimate threat? ......."

I remember one poor person: living on the outskirts of Cardiff: who in their
Ignorance had a load of Pig manure delivered, It was tipped on the pavement
outside their house,and had to be moved down side path to the back garden.
6 months later you could still smell it.
Now that is a great way to create Neighbours from Hell.

--
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ophelia

"Mike" wrote in message
I think you are unlucky if you do not have nice neighbours around you.
We have great ones all round and the help and advice given and received
is always welcome. Always someone to have a chat with and pass the time
of day :-))

All this sounds like bliss. We have to stay here just now because we both
work, but when we retire... hopefully it will be something like these
situations

Old 05-04-2003, 08:44 AM
Ophelia

"david" wrote in message
".....Try some Horse Manure next, leave it to mature all summer (next to

her
fence) before you use it. The ultimate threat? ......."

I remember one poor person: living on the outskirts of Cardiff: who in

their
Ignorance had a load of Pig manure delivered, It was tipped on the

pavement
outside their house,and had to be moved down side path to the back garden.
6 months later you could still smell it.
Now that is a great way to create Neighbours from Hell.

LOL now that would clear your tubes

Old 05-04-2003, 10:56 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Sarah
Dale writes

Erm - you can also 'water' it with some recycled beer (urine) if you feel
brave. I don't do this, so can't comment on smell or effectiveness. My
heap is open, but I do add all coffee and tea dregs (as well as coffee
grounds and tea bags), also sometimes the water from boing veg / pasta,
the dreg ends of gravy etc..

Somewhat strangly, given that we do not eat a lot of citrus fruit, my heap
nearly always smells faintly of orange peel.... (well so I think at any
rate), however, when I used to run a plastic dalek heap, I occasionaly got
really smelly lumps in the compost where material had turned into silage
rather than compost. But this was nearly always due to a big clump of one
type of material being rammed in tight.

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 05-04-2003, 01:08 PM
Sacha

in article , Ophelia at
wrote on 4/4/03 7:16 pm:

"Mike" wrote in message

Phone call from the Doctor on Tuesday afternoon. "Couple of small marks.
Nothing unusual in that. No sign of Asbestosis"

Excellent

I have just had my neighbour banging at the door screaming about reporting
us to the police, environmental health and probably the the CIA for all I
know

Ophelia

I'd be inclined to tell her that if she persists in her harassment of you
going about your private business on your own property, you will consult
your lawyer.
Where I lived before, there was one neighbour - who was a bit potty,
frankly. Luckily for me, she lived opposite me, not next door but she drove
the people either side of her nearly mad. I complained about her putting
her dogs out at 4am on freezing cold mornings and leaving the poor things to
bark and bark and bark and the EH people warned her. But eventually, I
contacted the RSPCA and they went round her. She had such a fright that she
stopped that straight away.
However, her 'side' neighbours banded together and got a court injunction
against her, preventing her from deliberately blocking drains etc. Perhaps
you could sort of 'hint' to your neighbour that you'll be having a word with
other neighbours about doing something similar to keep her nose out of the
perfectly harmless affairs of others.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Ophelia

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

Thanks for that

Today we bought a drainpipe to put down the centre of the bin. We will
drill holes in it and see what happens. Does anyone think it would be a
good idea to drill holes in the actuall bin too?

Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 PM
Ophelia

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Sacha I shall keep this in mind and I will let you know if it gets
to the point where I need to do it

Ophelia

Old 05-04-2003, 04:58 PM
John Towill

--
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kay Easton" wrote in message

A long time ago I used to live in a house with no indoor toilet. Since
it also had no heating in the bedroom, there was absolutely no
temptation to make night time visits to the toilet down the garden, so
we used to keep a bucket by the back door, and added the contents to the
hole in the ground into which I used to tip the veg peelings and tea
leaves. It was the best and sweetest compost I've ever made.

Thanks for that

Today we bought a drainpipe to put down the centre of the bin. We will
drill holes in it and see what happens. Does anyone think it would be a
good idea to drill holes in the actuall bin too?

I have two bins, as an experiment I made holes in one and not the other.
They both seem to work ok, but the one with no holes has mage a much
"cleaner compost". Incidently I made the hole by heating an iron rod and
burning through the plastic. the advantage of this is that the rim of the
whole are much stronger and not liable to split. best to do this in the
open though.

As regards your mardy neighbour, I guess people who live near sewage farms,
sillage silos and muck spread fields have a better case, and quite rightly
just have to grin and bear it.
Cheers
John T
Remove the wet from towill to reply
by email

Old 05-04-2003, 08:20 PM
Ophelia

Update. . We were in the garden doing a few jobs She has been prowling
up and down the path next to my fence all afternoon making mad remarks *duh*
A couple of the things I could make out was 'Smell' BTW it is almost away.
I have been watering that bit of garden today and it is nice .. and
'Talking about me' yeah right

I forgot to mention I have had complaints from her before. Once was when I
was watering my garden and some water went onto the path

One other was when some of my blackcurrants fell off and went onto the
path.. she complained.

Do you think Murder is justified. I reckon she would be much more use
buried and feeling my veggies))

Now.... to something useful.. Can I move an apple tree just now?)

Ophelia

Old 05-04-2003, 10:08 PM
Sally Thompson

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 20:10:50 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Update. . We were in the garden doing a few jobs She has been prowling
up and down the path next to my fence all afternoon making mad remarks *duh*
A couple of the things I could make out was 'Smell' BTW it is almost away.
I have been watering that bit of garden today and it is nice .. and
'Talking about me' yeah right

I forgot to mention I have had complaints from her before. Once was when I
was watering my garden and some water went onto the path

One other was when some of my blackcurrants fell off and went onto the
path.. she complained.

Do you think Murder is justified. I reckon she would be much more use
buried and feeling my veggies))

Now.... to something useful.. Can I move an apple tree just now?)

Yeah... Start by digging a hole about 6 ft long by 2 ft wide, and
preferably about 6 ft deep :-))

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

[...]