Old 24-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

What mess is there to clear up? they bury it. It's stinking dog shit on the street and pavements that's worse. Thousands of dog owners don't care. I'm sick of all these sad people moaning about cat shit. Obviouly their lives are so boring that they have nothing better to moan about. Try having a relative just died of cancer. It puts all this crap into perspective. Worry about things that really matter in life!
Old 25-03-2006, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Keeping the cats out

"Aly" wrote in message

George.com Wrote:
"Alan" wrote in message
In message
, Richard Parker
wrote
#include

If it is an offence to allow a dog to foul, without the owner
clearing
it up, why is socially acceptable to allow a cat to do the same with
no
responsibility on the owner to clear the mess?

As I understand it a dog is a domestic animal and a cat is a wild
animal. If you've ever lived with both you'll understand the
difference

This sounds like a get out clause for irresponsible cat owners.

Continually treating your cat as a kitten makes it domestic and safe.
Without this it would be wild and you would not be able to get within
ten feet of it without protective clothing.

Even by saying that a pet cat is wild does not prevent responsible
ownership. Those who let pet cats s**t in gardens belonging to
others
are not responsible owners and should perhaps be barred from owning
any
animals.

Those antisocial individuals that let their pet cats roam shouldn't
be
surprised, and shouldn't complain, if other treat their vermin in
the
same uncaring way as they do.

Alan, to put it bluntly, how the f c k do you propose people stop their
cats
roaming? Lock them in cages? Put them on leads?

Do you have children? Do neighbours have to put up with irresponsible
parents letting their little shits scream and yell around the
neighbourhood
crapping on other peoples peace and quiet? If so, how do propose to
control
children and minimise their anti-social behaviour. Do we put them on a
leash?

I accept that pet ownership have responsibilities. I try to exercise
them. I
do have cats and dogs and my moggies do not stray far from home.
However, I
am far more tolerant to the odd cat shit in my garden than some kid
yelling
their head off.

rob

Good on you Rob. You took the words right out of my mouth. I hate it
when people talk about cat questions on this forum. It starts a pure
slagging match.
(Check out the replies on the sonic cat scarer from a few days ago).

Trying to stop a cat shitting (and burying it) is like asking a human
to stop shitting and flushing it down the f'ing toilet!!
The cat burys the shit and covers it up, then sniffs at the site to
check the smell is reduced and no longer detactable. It makes sure they
do not leave a big advertisement of their presence(to other cats) cats
do this instinctively from an early age.
And Rob, you're right about the kids. I've got a new neighbour (who
also has a cat) and i caught him hitting mine with a sweeping brush.
When I went in to speak hime he said he was sick of my cat trying to
get in his house. It wasn't until later I wished i had said to him,
'but i've to put up with your kid kicking a ball off my fence all day
and kicking the ball over to my garden, jumping over the fence and
ruining my garden. Makes you wonder about people. His cat comes in to
my garden and shits everywhere. I never say a word about it. It doesn't
bother me that much as i've got a cat of my own. Some people have got a
bloody cheek.

I was of course using some hyperbole in my comments, basically because I
think Doug has an extreme view of the matter so I threw back some fairly
extreme arguments. On the matter of cats and dogs I think Doug simply needs
to chill a little and put things in perspective. I have nothing against the
guy himself, he seems to provide good advice on various matters and makes a
good contrinution to the newsgroup as far as my limited experiences inform
me.

As for the neighbour and the brush on your cat, next time his kids jumps
over your fence wrap a brush around the kids arse, see how the neighbour
reacts then. My reply to the neighbour would probably be quite short,
starting with a go, and get in the middle and ending with an f with a c k d
e and u in it.

Most kids I live around are pretty good so I am not a kid hater like Doug
seems to loathe dogs and cats. The neighbouring girls used to come over from
time to time before moving and play with the dogs or annoy me. The kids over
the back kick the odd ball or like acorss the fence, I simply chuck it back.
I guess that is what getting on with neighbours is about. A little give and
take.

As for dog shit, responsible dog owners pick it up and bin it or take it
home for the compost.

rob

Old 26-03-2006, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"George.com" wrote in message
As for dog shit, responsible dog owners pick it up and bin it or take it
home for the compost.

AFAIK
Carnivores poop is not good .in a compost heap.

I have seen bins that get buried in the ground for the decomposition of
their 'presents'
but again AFAIK the resulting goop is not useful in the garden, it is done
to prevent
smell.

Dave

Old 27-03-2006, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , someone
here writes

AFAIK
Carnivores poop is not good .in a compost heap.

Well I thought that waste from Londoners used to be carted out to fields
in the countryside (probably the M40 in those days) and spread over the
land for fertiliser?
Can't believe all Victorians were vegetarians

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph