Old 21-03-2006, 10:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Keeping the cats out

In article , George.com
writes

Well if cat owners argue that their pets must be allowed to roam and
'visit' next door's garden how come the same cat owners don't afford dog
owners the same facility?

because my dogs, to the best of my knowledge, haven't learnt to climb fences
yet.

rob

Can't they dig underneath?
Mine could clear 5 foot at a gallop
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 21-03-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , George.com
writes

Well if cat owners argue that their pets must be allowed to roam and
'visit' next door's garden how come the same cat owners don't afford

dog
owners the same facility?

because my dogs, to the best of my knowledge, haven't learnt to climb

fences
yet.

rob

Can't they dig underneath?
Mine could clear 5 foot at a gallop

I walked out onto the back deck once to observe the fluffy tail of my new
puppy burrowing under the back fence and dissappearing into the neighbours
garden. After retrieving puppy gap in fence was nailed shut with an old
plank. Concrete footings, and laziness, stop the dogs going under.

rob

Old 21-03-2006, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Tweedy wrote:
That's a dangerous thing to do nowadays. I know one of mine would chase
a cat, (she's killed rats, mice, squirrels, the odd bird and rabbit )
but I would never actively encourage her to do so.
By so doing, if anyone could prove it, you could, in theory, be charged
under the 'encouraging your dog to hunt' laws.

Really?! The world has gone on its head!

Or so I have been led to believe by two people who own dogs and know
something about legal issues.

Thank you for the advice. I actually didn't tell the whole truth - I
hardly talk to my older dog, I sign to her. We've bounded by the second
our eyes met and I taught her very early on to understand my mouvement,
hand and head signals. She is, of all the dogs I had, my favourite one.
She wouldn't move without a sign from me. I usually open the door, look
out, look at her and then signal. I had kept one of her pup, a gorgeous
girl but we had to give her to a friend (breeder of this particular
breed). I then had 4 dogs, and we just turned into a pack of wolves
very rapidly. It became dangerous when the pup decided not to look at
me but get her signals from her mother. The hierachy became impossible
- and I tried everything to keep her. I became totally invisible to her
and she got me in some serious situations.

Oops ... sorry for being a bit OT.

Old 21-03-2006, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sheldon Harper

Janet Tweedy wrote in
news
In article , Sheldon Harper
writes

http://tinyurl.com/n4ctw

Established in 2005, the fences keep everything out. These were
primarily designed to dissuade white tail deer.

Hmmm it doesn't look as strong as stock fencing that I have on the
inside of my 8 foot hawthorn hedges which might lead one to presume
that it will rot in a couple of years.

No, it hasn't the weight of stock fencing. Rain here in mid America
isn't as significant as it is in the UK, so I expect as it stands
it should last at least 10 years. The posts are treated to delay rot
with only the corner posts (12 feet long) buried to 4 feet. The others
are fastened to tapered steel post supports which are driven into the
ground using a heavy hammer and have a clamp at the top for securing
a 4" x 4" post.

Fine if it's free-standing like the one on the site but you don't
want to have to fasten fencing into hawthorn hedging too often

Or any vegetation clinging to it for that matter.

Old 21-03-2006, 02:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

In article , George.com
writes
I walked out onto the back deck once to observe the fluffy tail of my new
puppy burrowing under the back fence and dissappearing into the neighbours
garden. After retrieving puppy gap in fence was nailed shut with an old
plank. Concrete footings, and laziness, stop the dogs going under.

rob

That's why I have stock fencing along the hawthorn, you can't see it in
summer but it stops them struggling through the tiniest of gaps in the
hedges.
I found a roll of stock fencing was both safer and stronger and the
right height and cheap! It meant I could unroll it up the side of the
garden without ending up with just scruffy 'patching' h9les.

janet

Old 21-03-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"George.com" wrote in message

This means that cats will be trapped and shipped off to the cats

protection
league.
Dogs to the local dog rehoming service. Stray/loose dogs are reported to

the
council dog warden.

wandering kid sent to the local poor house?

Grumpy old cat-hating sod sent to the home for the terminally-bewildered
before he does something he quite rightly gets prosecuted for?

--
Brian

Old 22-03-2006, 06:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

Default Keeping the cats out - a postscript

"Brian Watson" wrote in message

Those who are not rabidly anti-cat might enjoy this short video.

http://www.wftv.com/irresistible/8163236/detail.html

--
Brian

Old 22-03-2006, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

quote I love it when the racoons return to URG :~))))
Jenny

OHHHHHHHHHH no, not CATS and RACOONS in the same thread!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 22-03-2006, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"George.com" wrote in message

This means that cats will be trapped and shipped off to the cats

protection
league.
Dogs to the local dog rehoming service. Stray/loose dogs are reported

the
council dog warden.

wandering kid sent to the local poor house?

Grumpy old cat-hating sod sent to the home for the terminally-bewildered
before he does something he quite rightly gets prosecuted for?

Like suing you for latent toxoplasmosis?
Salmonella, ringworm, conjumctivitis, streptococcal infection etc...

And just because you love your cat and spend a fortune on it at the vet...
you are the minority.

Rather scare the cats off than try and disinfect a two year old every time
he goes out.

And as for the stench of the litter tray, sorry my front garden, Nuff said.

I mean what do you do with it?
It stinks. So you can't leave it. Council Environmental health says so.
You can't scrape it up and chuck it in the bin (filthy job)
As animal feacal matter is expressly forbidden in household waste.

So assuming that I shouldn't keep them out.
What do I do with it?

Dave

Old 22-03-2006, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

. ..

"George.com" wrote in message

This means that cats will be trapped and shipped off to the cats
protection
league.
Dogs to the local dog rehoming service. Stray/loose dogs are reported

the
council dog warden.

wandering kid sent to the local poor house?

Grumpy old cat-hating sod sent to the home for the terminally-bewildered
before he does something he quite rightly gets prosecuted for?

Like suing you for latent toxoplasmosis?
Salmonella, ringworm, conjumctivitis, streptococcal infection etc...

And just because you love your cat and spend a fortune on it at the vet...
you are the minority.

No, I'm in the majority (in terms of UK citizens) in that I do not own a
cat.

However, I do think that people who get so steamed about cats in their
gardens need to just take a deep breath and chill out, as the young people
say these days, and find a humane way to dissuade those species that offend
by their presence.

--
Brian

Old 22-03-2006, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , Brian Watson
wrote

However, I do think that people who get so steamed about cats in their
gardens need to just take a deep breath and chill out,

Its satisfying painting cats with things they don't like - and the
relaxation comes afterwards.

I wonder if cats like old engine oil?

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 23-03-2006, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Brian Watson
wrote

However, I do think that people who get so steamed about cats in their
gardens need to just take a deep breath and chill out,

Its satisfying painting cats with things they don't like - and the
relaxation comes afterwards.

I wonder if cats like old engine oil?

Thank you for making my point so succinctly.

--
Brian

Old 23-03-2006, 02:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Broadback wrote:
snip
I know I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I
dislike cats I would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an
alternative to stop them crossing the gates and fencing?

http://www.martleyelectronics.co.uk/cat_control.htm

Old 24-03-2006, 02:24 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by George.com
"Alan" wrote in message
In message
, Richard Parker
wrote
#include

If it is an offence to allow a dog to foul, without the owner clearing
it up, why is socially acceptable to allow a cat to do the same with no
responsibility on the owner to clear the mess?

As I understand it a dog is a domestic animal and a cat is a wild
animal. If you've ever lived with both you'll understand the
difference

This sounds like a get out clause for irresponsible cat owners.

Continually treating your cat as a kitten makes it domestic and safe.
Without this it would be wild and you would not be able to get within
ten feet of it without protective clothing.

Even by saying that a pet cat is wild does not prevent responsible
ownership. Those who let pet cats s**t in gardens belonging to others
are not responsible owners and should perhaps be barred from owning any
animals.

Those antisocial individuals that let their pet cats roam shouldn't be
surprised, and shouldn't complain, if other treat their vermin in the
same uncaring way as they do.

Alan, to put it bluntly, how the f c k do you propose people stop their cats
roaming? Lock them in cages? Put them on leads?

Do you have children? Do neighbours have to put up with irresponsible
parents letting their little shits scream and yell around the neighbourhood
crapping on other peoples peace and quiet? If so, how do propose to control
children and minimise their anti-social behaviour. Do we put them on a
leash?

I accept that pet ownership have responsibilities. I try to exercise them. I
do have cats and dogs and my moggies do not stray far from home. However, I
am far more tolerant to the odd cat shit in my garden than some kid yelling
their head off.

rob
Good on you Rob. You took the words right out of my mouth. I hate it when people talk about cat questions on this forum. It starts a pure slagging match.
(Check out the replies on the sonic cat scarer from a few days ago).

Trying to stop a cat shitting (and burying it) is like asking a human to stop shitting and flushing it down the f'ing toilet!!
The cat burys the shit and covers it up, then sniffs at the site to check the smell is reduced and no longer detactable. It makes sure they do not leave a big advertisement of their presence(to other cats) cats do this instinctively from an early age.
And Rob, you're right about the kids. I've got a new neighbour (who also has a cat) and i caught him hitting mine with a sweeping brush. When I went in to speak hime he said he was sick of my cat trying to get in his house. It wasn't until later I wished i had said to him, 'but i've to put up with your kid kicking a ball off my fence all day and kicking the ball over to my garden, jumping over the fence and ruining my garden. Makes you wonder about people. His cat comes in to my garden and shits everywhere. I never say a word about it. It doesn't bother me that much as i've got a cat of my own. Some people have got a bloody cheek.
Old 24-03-2006, 02:34 PM
Aly Aly is offline
Registered User

Location: Lanarkshire, Scotland

I hope you're having a bloody joke.
Lets start talking about stinking dog shit and the thousands of dog owners who allow their dogs to shit in play areas and pavements. It is filthy. Gets stuck to pram wheels and kids shoes then gets trailed in to the house.
Oh yes, it's an offence - but have you ever heard of anyone being fined - I bet not?
Give the cats a ****ing break, There's things people like and hate about most animals. As i've said before p trying to stop a cat shitting and burying it, is like asking you to stop shitting in the toilet & flushing. It's natural instinct.