Old 19-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Registered User

Location: Rotherham
Default Advice needed Rosemary

Hello,

I bought a house back in September that had what appeared to be 2 thriving Rosemary bushes on the back garden. When tidying the garden we cut them back slightly and they seemed fine, however, one of the plants (or indeed half of the plant) appears to be dieing or has died. The other half though looks like it's thriving and has flowered. I wondered if anybody knows whether I can save the dieing part (which we really want to do) or whether it's a lost cause.

I have pictures that I would have liked to up-load, however, I don't appear to have permissions.

Thanks
Old 19-04-2006, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
adamtgreen writes:

| I bought a house back in September that had what appeared to be 2
| thriving Rosemary bushes on the back garden. When tidying the garden we
| cut them back slightly and they seemed fine, however, one of the plants
| (or indeed half of the plant) appears to be dieing or has died. The
| other half though looks like it's thriving and has flowered. I wondered
| if anybody knows whether I can save the dieing part (which we really
| want to do) or whether it's a lost cause.

A lost cause. In many UK conditions, rosemary is a short-lived plant.
You can layer the living part and give it a new lease of life - just
tuck some youngish stems under the soil and pin or weight them down.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 19-04-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

adamtgreen wrote:
Hello,

I bought a house back in September that had what appeared to be 2
thriving Rosemary bushes on the back garden. When tidying the garden we
cut them back slightly and they seemed fine, however, one of the plants
(or indeed half of the plant) appears to be dieing or has died. The
other half though looks like it's thriving and has flowered. I wondered
if anybody knows whether I can save the dieing part (which we really
want to do) or whether it's a lost cause.

I wouldn't bother, to be honest. I think it's had it. I would suggest
you find a new one and even if it's a baby that doesn't cost much, it
will grow quite quickly. OTOH, do you need 2 rosemary bushes? Would
you prefer to put in something else you can enjoy?

I have pictures that I would have liked to up-load, however, I don't
appear to have permissions.

This group doesn't take binaries, anyway.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 19-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Registered User

[quote=Sacha]adamtgreen wrote:
Hello,

I bought a house back in September that had what appeared to be 2
thriving Rosemary bushes on the back garden. When tidying the garden we
cut them back slightly and they seemed fine, however, one of the plants
(or indeed half of the plant) appears to be dieing or has died. The
other half though looks like it's thriving and has flowered. I wondered
if anybody knows whether I can save the dieing part (which we really
want to do) or whether it's a lost cause.

A lot of rosemary bushes and lavenders have died because they've become infested with rosemary leaf beetles. Look out for beautiful metallic green and purple coloured adults and the light grey with dark striped larvae. There's an article on this pest with pictures in the Just Green pest of the month section on their website.
Old 20-04-2006, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French

In message .com,
Sacha writes

I have pictures that I would have liked to up-load, however, I don't
appear to have permissions.

This group doesn't take binaries, anyway.

True, but the OP was posting via gardenbanter. It does allow posting of
images, but it doesn't put them in the message sent out into Usenet. It
seems to automatically put a link in.
--
Chris French

Old 28-04-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pest Effects writes

adamtgreen wrote:
Hello,

I bought a house back in September that had what appeared to be 2
thriving Rosemary bushes on the back garden. When tidying the garden
we
cut them back slightly and they seemed fine, however, one of the
plants
(or indeed half of the plant) appears to be dieing or has died. The
other half though looks like it's thriving and has flowered. I
wondered
if anybody knows whether I can save the dieing part (which we really
want to do) or whether it's a lost cause.

A lot of rosemary bushes and lavenders have died because they've become
infested with rosemary leaf beetles. Look out for beautiful metallic
green and purple coloured adults and the light grey with dark striped
larvae.

Only in those few areas of the country where it has arrived as an
introduced species - see the RHS link:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/learning/resea...ary_beetle.asp
--
Kay

Rosemary problem CP Texas 4 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Ailing Rosemary Officianis RichardS United Kingdom 13 26-03-2003 11:08 AM
[IBC] Rosemary Claudio Fierro Bonsai 11 21-03-2003 02:56 PM
Rosemary mold/mildew? Jack Curry Edible Gardening 5 12-03-2003 03:56 PM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM