Old 22-04-2006, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default Mowing estimate needed

"Mike" wrote in message

This is not directed at your specifically but I do so wish people would
say where they live!

They don't all have a business to advertise and tout for

That is an extreemly helpful post!

Alan

Old 22-04-2006, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message

This is not directed at your specifically but I do so wish people would
say where they live!

They don't all have a business to advertise and tout for

O.K. - so questions about 'how much will it cost' aren't specific to
location?

I think that is far to difficult a question for the poster to answer!

Alan

Old 22-04-2006, 02:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Mike" wrote in message
, so his remarks are, as usual, inane.
And no, we don't offer mowing services - we pay someone to do our own!!
--
Sacha
South Devon

Sacha you just cannot kill file me can you? Your admiration and hero
worship
of me knows no bounds. You HAVE to reply to my posts from time to time.

As I told you before, I am not available. Sorry

But it is nice to know just how much I am admired :-))

(Had 3 women chasing me on the cruise as well :-))

Wsa that so they could throw you overboard?

Alan

Mike

Old 22-04-2006, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"p.k." wrote in message
Space wrote:
"George.com" wrote in message

"Si" wrote in message
Warrington, cheshire.

I charge £12, use my own equipment, but i think the average is
about £15 around here.... most round here charge a minimum of two
hours

12 per hour? How the heck do you make a living at that price?

how do people cope on minimum wage?

£12 per hour

30 billable hours per week (in a 40 hour week)

40 max workable week equivalents (rain, snow, frost & holidays wipe out
the rest)

12*30*40 = 14,000 top line business income

From which tools, equipment, public liability insurance, vehicle, etc have
to be paid before drawings.

No pension. No sick pay. No holiday pay.

£12 per hour is WAY too low.

Why is it that (some) people who enjoy gardening as a hobby expect to pay
hobby wages to anyone who does gardening work for them?

Because quite a number of them are doing it as a 'hobby' to make some extra
cash, note 'cash', for doing very little actual 'work'.

The significance of the word 'cash' is that one does not always pay tax on
it!

Alan

pk

Old 22-04-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

"Si" wrote in message
Warrington, cheshire.

I charge £12, use my own equipment, but i think the average is about £15
around here.... most round here charge a minimum of two hours

12 per hour? How the heck do you make a living at that price?

The minimum adult wage here is under £6, (UK pounds) and many people
live on such incomes. Of course, if they're officially employed (by
local govt or service inductries) they don't take home that much after
compulsory deductions.

The wage round here is not much different. The SW has never been a
high earning paradise. The chief concern round here is that young
people cannot afford to buy homes because the SW is so popular with
those who want second homes or who retire down here. When I hear what
it costs to do work on a house in London or even in Jersey, I feel
quite faint! But there is no comparison as to quality of life and that
is the choice the individual has to make.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-04-2006, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.k.

Sacha wrote:

The wage round here is not much different. The SW has never been a
high earning paradise. The chief concern round here is that young
people cannot afford to buy homes because the SW is so popular with
those who want second homes or who retire down here. When I hear what
it costs to do work on a house in London or even in Jersey, I feel
quite faint! But there is no comparison as to quality of life and
that is the choice the individual has to make.

Horses for courses - we live in SW London and spend time every summer with
friends in Cornwall. The qualities of each lifestyle are certainly very
different. but one better than the other?

Our friends in Cornwall moved from St John's Wood in central London - and
would not swap back for any amount of money.

We live in leafy suburban Wimbledon with Surrey fields and pubs 20 minute
away, 2 major airport 40 mins away, Central London 20 mins away and out of
my front door a cycle route that takes me on a 50 mile circuit with no more
than about 5 miles on road (Parks, towpaths and woodland tracks for the
rest). Hospitals and schools galore to choose from. Every nationality of
restaurant (and each from caff to ***) you can imagine.

We wouldn't swap with them either!

horses for courses!

pk

Old 22-04-2006, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Mr Big" wrote in message
The trouble there is too many people in this industry, who just do it
on the side, as a casual business, as a fill in job or whatever.

Do not talk about policemen retiring early. A friend of mine retired
early, took a very good handout, and then took another full time job
in the courts.

If you do not like the rate of pay for the job then change profession.
The reason for so many people doing it on the side is that it is not a
particularly skilled job.
I helped out a professional gardening crew for two years who were qualified
and charged for the job on a yearly basis.

"Yes Sir we will manage your garden for £40 per week on a 52 week basis"
The clients never found leaves on the drive and were delighted to see me
working on a border in the middle of November.
Perhaps you should dump the Granny who wants a lawn mown once a week for £5
per hour and set your targets higher unless you feel you are performing a
social duty in which case don't moan about the wage

Old 22-04-2006, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

p.k. wrote:
Sacha wrote:

[...]

I think you've summed that up very well and I'm not being sarcastic!
BUT, I wouldn't live your life for all the tea in China and you
wouldn't like mine, either, I suspect. Horses for courses, indeed.
I'm with your friends because I couldn't live as you do; that's not the
countryside and I really need that as I need my lungs. I couldn't live
what is, to me, the compromise that you live but it works for you and
obviously works well. I haven't been to London for 3 or 4 years -
apart for one day last year to see the Royal Ballet School end of year
show - and I really do not miss that. Every time I do go to London I
come away with a headache and a sense of dislocation. I can take it
for three days, max.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-04-2006, 09:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mr Big

There has got to be a way of weeding out these social scroungers who
do work for cash and are not account for it to the taxman.

I've been to a local garden centre/nursery to buy compost, 3 bags for
£10.

I'll put them in the van, whilst you go and get me the reciept. We
don't give receipts here. Sorry I need one for the tax man. Oh, I'll
get a till receipt. Here you are then one till receipt. Thats no good
its not printed the company name or VAT number. Oh has it not. I go
get it stamped. Same till reciept given back to me rubber stamped on
the back, that can just be read.

Just how many people are pocketing cash.

Thats the local garden centre/nursery for one.

Old 24-04-2006, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

"Space" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

"Si" wrote in message
Warrington, cheshire.

I charge £12, use my own equipment, but i think the average is about

£15
around here.... most round here charge a minimum of two hours

12 per hour? How the heck do you make a living at that price?

how do people cope on minimum wage?

I don't know but any would be mower of grass has first to buy a mower and
vehicle, so some money must be set aside for their replacement, then there
is the insurance and bear in mind you have to get to where the grass is and
the time and fuel that costs. all costs that someone on the minimum wage
does not have.
I would say 12 per hour was an extremely good deal. For the customer :~)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 24-04-2006, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article , "Mike" writes:
| tut tut tut tut tut
|
| That should be
|
| "you're"
|
| my apologies

That should be:

Tut, tut, tut, tut, tut.
That should be "you're".
My apologies.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Shouldn't it be 'That should be "you're."'?