Old 24-04-2006, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Recyling garden waste (quick moan)

The 18 cottages on this small dirt track manage to produce a whole 3 bags of
garden waste material which is collected every two weeks for the Council to
recycle. With the exception of myself no one composts but all the houses
have gardens.
Exploring the contents of these bags with a view to using it on my own
compost heap I came across :- Plastic plant pots and labels,assorted cans /
plastic bottles,cat litter(complete with turds), milk bottles,crisp packets
and assorted rocks.
No grass clippings, in fact bugga all that could really be composted with
the exception of a large tree root.
I did retrieve one very posh stainless steel trowel complete with price tag.

Old 24-04-2006, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
The 18 cottages on this small dirt track manage to produce a whole 3 bags

of
garden waste material which is collected every two weeks for the Council

recycle. With the exception of myself no one composts but all the houses
have gardens.
Exploring the contents of these bags with a view to using it on my own
compost heap I came across :- Plastic plant pots and labels

reusable
assorted cans

easily resmelted
plastic bottles,

recyclable
cat litter(complete with turds),

compostable as tree mulch
milk bottles,

reusable once sterilised

some people remain as thick as the day god made them.

rob

Old 24-04-2006, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

They're not thick.

They just happen to have different priorities in life.

Maybe they don't rate being smug and sanctimonious as highly
as some other people.

michael adams

Old 24-04-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"michael adams" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

maybe just lazy Michael. If I am smug and sanctimonious because I make an
effort then so be it, something I can live with. If facilities are available
there is no excuse for doing the simple things. 'Can't be bothered' is no
answer, just an excuse. As for priorities, where recycling facilities are
available dumping it all in a landfill doesn't sound like priorities to me,
just laziness or ignorance. Feel free to prove me wrong.

rob

Old 24-04-2006, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

There happens to be a big difference between simply making an effort
yourself, and using that as a pretext to look down on other people
who may happen to think differently to the way you do.

If facilities are available
there is no excuse for doing the simple things. 'Can't be bothered' is no
answer, just an excuse. As for priorities, where recycling facilities are
available dumping it all in a landfill doesn't sound like priorities to

me,
just laziness or ignorance. Feel free to prove me wrong.

rob

The world is full of people, performing selfless and often unpleasant
tasks on a daily basis, for the benefit of society and the community
as a whole, often with very little expectation of recognition
or reward, who feel no need to preach, or look down their noses
at anyone.

michael adams

Old 24-04-2006, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris S

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message
The 18 cottages on this small dirt track manage to produce a whole 3 bags
of garden waste material which is collected every two weeks for the
Council to recycle. With the exception of myself no one composts but all
the houses have gardens.
Exploring the contents of these bags with a view to using it on my own
compost heap I came across :- Plastic plant pots and labels,assorted cans
/ plastic bottles,cat litter(complete with turds), milk bottles,crisp
packets and assorted rocks.
No grass clippings, in fact bugga all that could really be composted with
the exception of a large tree root.
I did retrieve one very posh stainless steel trowel complete with price
tag.

Our council (in Aberdeen) wouldn't collect it. They only collect garden
waste in appropriate bins, and any hint of plastic / stones etc are left for
the householder to deal with. It seems to work well.
Chris S

Old 24-04-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gary Woods

"Chris S" wrote:

Our council (in Aberdeen) wouldn't collect it. They only collect garden
waste in appropriate bins,

Than your council is also smug and sanctimonious.
Sort of related: I steal leaves from the roadside, put up for the local
towns* ("councils") to collect in biodegradable paper bags. Occasionally
there's some rubbish thrown in, but mostly not; probably because of the
season.

*northeastern U.S.

Old 24-04-2006, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Gary Woods wrote:
"Chris S" wrote:

Our council (in Aberdeen) wouldn't collect it. They only collect garden
waste in appropriate bins,

Than your council is also smug and sanctimonious.
Sort of related: I steal leaves from the roadside, put up for the local
towns* ("councils") to collect in biodegradable paper bags. Occasionally
there's some rubbish thrown in, but mostly not; probably because of the
season.

*northeastern U.S.

I often wonder about the efficiency of these environmental actions. The
council send massive vehicles to isolated properties to pick up rubbish
for recycling, how much harm are the exhausts of those vehicles doing?
As for wind generators I hate the things, their use is very limited, the
wind does not blow 24/7.

--
Please do not reply to this Email address,
as all Emails are deleted before opened.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

I'm all for recycling where and wherever possible - it's important for
our environment and the world with which we live. We take, take, take
and in my oppinion give very little back to our beautiful planet that
we are very, very lucky to be inhabitants of.

Recycling is a pain in the bum but everyone should try to take the time
to do what they can, it's SO important these days.

Old 25-04-2006, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

[...]

however in using the term sanctimonious you need to be careful, that in
accusing me of feigning righteousness or being hypocritically pious, you
assume I do not practise what I preach. Whereas, if I actually am anally
retentive toward recycling then there is nothing hypocritical or false. If I
am smug because I make an effort then feel free to call me a smug git or an
enviro arsehole but there is nothing false or hypocritical. If I went around
castigating people for driving their cars, and then did exactly the same as
they did, that would be hypocritical.

As for people thinking differently, chucking waste in a hole in the ground
is a good thing? There are anti-recyclers who base their lack of recycling
on sound logic and reason? Or do they do so simply because they can't be
bothered?

There are arguments around the environmental damage done in collecting
recyclable waste vs the damage done by land filling the waste. Different
studies, different methods of calculation, determine which side of the
ledger is 'greenest'. On another track, metal for example, these items are
increasingly becoming sought after on a global scale, much to do with
insatiable building demand in China. We can then bury re0usable metals or we
can gather up and resmelt them. If there is a demand for products, why bury
them?

I wonder which of those arguments people who don't recycle use.

If facilities are available
there is no excuse for doing the simple things. 'Can't be bothered' is

no
answer, just an excuse. As for priorities, where recycling facilities

are
available dumping it all in a landfill doesn't sound like priorities to

me,
just laziness or ignorance. Feel free to prove me wrong.

rob

The world is full of people, performing selfless and often unpleasant
tasks on a daily basis, for the benefit of society and the community
as a whole, often with very little expectation of recognition
or reward, who feel no need to preach, or look down their noses
at anyone.

indeed, but when I go swimming in a rip the lifeguard would most likely tell
me to stop being a stupid ******* and go back to shore. Likewise, the
ambulance officer would tell me to stop being a moron if they knew I was
about to drink and drive. If my actions were going to cause a harm to me or
others, or result in some cost further down the track society will have to
pick up as a result of my lack of effort, would you not expect these people
you mention above to say something?

Like I said however, where facilities exist, what excuse is there. Rupert
said:

"The 18 cottages on this small dirt track manage to produce a whole 3 bags
of garden waste material which is collected every two weeks for the Council
to recycle."

If it is GARDEN WASTE material that is collected to recycle, why put cans,
bottles, chip packets etc in it. If these things are to be landfilled, put
them in the bin. The issue is not just a lack of recycling, it is also one
of contaminating recyclable products.

I don't recycle because I am not aware of it is one thing, I will chuck any
old theing any old where smacks of laziness does it not?

rob

Old 25-04-2006, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

If facilities are available
there is no excuse for doing the simple things. 'Can't be bothered' is

no
answer, just an excuse. As for priorities, where recycling facilities

are
available dumping it all in a landfill doesn't sound like priorities to

me,
just laziness or ignorance. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Big IF.

Since you're talking about a country on the other side of the world,
it's hardly surprising you don't understand how things work here.

I think I probably understand fairly well Janet. NZ has issues with
recycling in country areas as well. Like I said, IF facilities exist. In the
case cited by Rupert they did.

Urban areas of the UK have more inhabitants, paying more local tax,
and their councils have more money to spend. Urban areas now have
facilities and collection points to recycle virtually any kind of
domestic waste.

It's a very different picture in remote rural areas, where scattered
populations, low tax base, distance and volume often make it uneconomic
for councils or businesses to offer "sorted" roadside collection. Where
many people don't earn enough to run a car. I live in such an area.
There is NOWHERE for even the keenest recycler (and there are many here)
to dispose of plastics, fibrerags, newsprint, cans or metals for
re-use. Individuals and groups do their best with home composting,
turning card packaging into farm-stock bedding, and glass into grit. The
rest goes to landfill.

Janet.

Same here, exactly the same scenario. However, facilities did exist as
Rupert pointed out in his original post. Garden waste is collected for
composting. Some people can't be bothered with recycling so they landfill
everything. Thats one issue. Some it seems, based on Ruperts testimony,
contaminate recyclable material with other rubbish. It is not just a case of
'not recycling' but one of throwing anything anywhere. The chip packet can
go in the green waste bag. I won't recycle the tin can for some unknown
reason, but rather than binning it, I will chuck it in the garden waste bag.
Knowing human nature (humans are the same in NZ as they are in Britain), I
will continue to argue ingorance or laziness until someone provides me with
a better explaination.

rob

Old 25-04-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"George.com" wrote in message

Like I said however, where facilities exist, what excuse is there.

Nowadays, some people have enough on their plate earning enough to
pay off their mortgage so they don't end up on the street, and feeding
their kids so they don't getting taken off them by social services,
often by having to work 60 hours a week. Never mind worrying about
recycling.

Not everyone has as much time on their hands as you clearly do,
to engage in exercises self-righteousness and posting about
same on newsgroups.

Like all born-agains and converts you're rapidly becoming a bore.

I humbly suggest you grow up.

Goodbye.

michael adams

Old 25-04-2006, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

"George.com" wrote in message

Like I said however, where facilities exist, what excuse is there.

Nowadays, some people have enough on their plate earning enough to
pay off their mortgage so they don't end up on the street, and feeding
their kids so they don't getting taken off them by social services,
often by having to work 60 hours a week. Never mind worrying about
recycling.

With all due respect Michael, that sounds like a weak excuse. If
municipalities provide facilities they very often make them easy to use.
Plastic bins provided for glass, tin and plastics. Other forms for the
provision of garden wastes. It isn't difficult once a day to throw the
recyclables in the appropriate bin. If people don't want to recycle then
everything can simply go in the bin. Rupert described a system where green
waste is recycled, most likely a seperate recepticle for green waste and
another for standard household waste. You may like to explain to me what is
so difficult about throwing rubbish in the appropriate bin.

Not everyone has as much time on their hands as you clearly do,
to engage in exercises self-righteousness and posting about
same on newsgroups.

Like all born-agains and converts you're rapidly becoming a bore.

I humbly suggest you grow up.

As for time on my hands Michael, I do have evenings and weekends. Obviously
you have time on your hands as well. If you find the thread a bore that is
entirely your prerogative, you are also free to call me whatever you like.
That however is entirely a different matter to the seeming inability of
people to recycle, the point I started out making. If you find that issue a
bore as well so be it however the point I made still stands.

Your choice of comment about born again and convert are interesting to say
the least, does that mean you are a 'degenerative non convert' to whatever
religious cause you think I have signed up to. Again, with all due respect,
the argument 'you are rapidly becoming a bore' often gets thrown around as a
cover in the face of an untenable position.

rob

Old 25-04-2006, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Nothing at all..if householders believe that their council really
intends to keep it separate *and can afford to do so*. Rupert mentioned
three sacks colected in a month from a dirt track. I'm sorry to say
that it's an economic quantity for separate collection. It's all too
common where quantities are quite small, for the council just to send
out the one standard collection truck and tip all that carefully sorted
domestic waste back together for landfill :-(.. They have been seen to
fulfill their legal obligation for a politically correct domestic-waste
separation service.

I have seen this myself several times and so have many others. It's
no surprise that householders won't bother to take care when they know
it's just a political game of lipservice to ecological principals and
European Directives, which councils simply can't afford to implement.

Janet

Speak for your self and your own incompetent Council

You are cordially invited to the Isle of Wight to see how recycling works
and works a treat.

We have two collection lorries, one for general bagged rubbish and one for
glass which is seperated into three grades/colours before going into the
lorry, rags/clothes/linens and paper. Reports on the success and money
saved/raised are reported in the local newspaper

Lynbottom Civic Amenety site is first class ammenity for people to take
their rubbish themselves. Seperate huge bins for scrap metal, general waste,
wood, paper and cardboard and a massive area to tip garden waste. This goes
through a huge shredder, sorted, graded, composted and is recycled as garden
compost. Steaming piles of compost, 20 fot high can be seen ..... and
smelled. They will deliver a builders skip, 1 cubic metre for £35.00.
Smaller plastic sacks for taking in the car are also available.

No Janet you might 'think' you are an authorative speaker on all there is on
urg, but get on yer bike, you have overstepped your authorative nature here.

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 25-04-2006, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"Janet Baraclough" wrote
The message
from "George.com" contains these words:

snip
You may like to explain to me what is
so difficult about throwing rubbish in the appropriate bin.

Nothing at all..if householders believe that their council really
intends to keep it separate *and can afford to do so*. Rupert
mentioned three sacks colected in a month from a dirt track. I'm
sorry to say that it's an economic quantity for separate collection.
It's all too common where quantities are quite small, for the council
just to send out the one standard collection truck and tip all that
carefully sorted domestic waste back together for landfill :-(.. They
have been seen to fulfill their legal obligation for a politically
correct domestic-waste separation service.

I have seen this myself several times and so have many others.

Relative of mine has seen this happen in Norfolk too.

It's no surprise that householders won't bother to take care when they
know it's just a political game of lipservice to ecological principals
and European Directives, which councils simply can't afford to
implement.

There was a programme the other night (on one of the freeview channels
iirc) about waste disposal which more or less confirmed that. A reporter
had gone undercover with a company that was contracted to sort and deal
with recyclable waste and he secretly filmed huge quantities being
allowed to bypass the system. It wasn't being recycled at all, but in
fact just crushed/shredded and dumped in a privately owned landfill.

In another case there were sites where the owner was taking vast amounts
of cash, accepting all sorts of illegal waste that was simply being
openly burned, causing heavens knows what pollution, and it was more or
less being ignored by other authorities while the Environment Agency (or
whoever) took years and years taking a legal case through the courts.
Even when the site owner was eventually jailed for a short time the
illegal dumping and burning carried on! The law and local authorities
seemed either to turn a blind eye or are powerless to prevent it
happening. The buck is passed from national govt to local authorities
who simply do not have the power or resources to deal with the whole
problem properly. Meanwhile criminals are making a mountain of cash from
mountains of waste.

I'm all for recycling household rubbish but when people see all this
going on it's not much of an incentive to do their bit with the sorting
bins at home, let alone take the time to drag loads of other stuff off
to special centres etc.

--
Sue

OT recyling Nad R Gardening 1 08-07-2011 03:22 PM
The glories of Spring - was Moan, moan.... Dave Poole United Kingdom 0 19-03-2003 05:08 AM
Moan, moan, is the weather never right? John Towill United Kingdom 11 18-03-2003 08:09 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Christopher Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 08-02-2003 08:27 PM
quick question needing quick answer: what lighting? Jason Marr Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 08-02-2003 08:27 PM