Old 27-04-2006, 08:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

Default Wormeries !

Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting on
the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

Old 27-04-2006, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting on
the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

I bought one of these wormeries a few months ago and have been pleased
with it. We kept it in a utility room over winter, and had quite a few
escapee worms but that's the only problem. They certainly do their job
in reducing our food waste, though I still don't seem to have any
liquid to run off through the tap. I'd recommend, but you need to think
of them as waste disposal units rather than creators of great
quantities of compost.

Old 27-04-2006, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

wrote in message
oups.com...

adm wrote:
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting
on
the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

I bought one of these wormeries a few months ago and have been pleased
with it. We kept it in a utility room over winter, and had quite a few
escapee worms but that's the only problem. They certainly do their job
in reducing our food waste, though I still don't seem to have any
liquid to run off through the tap. I'd recommend, but you need to think
of them as waste disposal units rather than creators of great
quantities of compost.

Thanks Will,

That's actually what I wanted to here - waste disposal is perfect. Our
bloody council have cut the rubbish collection to every two weeks
recently...

Old 27-04-2006, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"adm" wrote
That's actually what I wanted to here - waste disposal is perfect. Our
bloody council have cut the rubbish collection to every two weeks
recently...

Their strategy appears to be having an effect then.

I wouldn't let the idea of rats put you off composting. I live in a
rural area where rats are always around in the fields but have only ever
found one such squatter in my compost bins. It was more surprised than
me on discovery and soon scarpered.

--
Sue

Old 27-04-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
adm

"Sue" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"adm" wrote
That's actually what I wanted to here - waste disposal is perfect. Our
bloody council have cut the rubbish collection to every two weeks
recently...

Their strategy appears to be having an effect then.

Not really. I have a great big compost heap in my garden already.....it's
just down at the end and 80m away from the house.

I wouldn't let the idea of rats put you off composting. I live in a
rural area where rats are always around in the fields

Me too. OK - I haven't seen any in the compost heap so far, but I just don't
like the idea of all the food waste there - I'd prefer it to be covered (I
also have three small children and one large dog)

Old 27-04-2006, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , adm
wrote

Me too. OK - I haven't seen any in the compost heap so far, but I just don't
like the idea of all the food waste there - I'd prefer it to be covered (I
also have three small children and one large dog)

Children and dogs don't compost too well unless you put them through a
shredder first.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 27-04-2006, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Trefor Jones

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting

on
the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

My daughter gave me one for Christmas. I set it up as per the instructions
but nothing much seemed to be happening except that there were a few worms
around the edge of the lid whenever I opened it and a few escapees. After
about 6 weeks I decided to empty the thing to see if there were any worms
working. I found about 25 in all but when I lifted the partition keeping the
compost from the liquid the bottom was full of dead worms!
I ordered some more worms and kept them in a plastic box full of lovely
compost whilst canvassing the urglers for advice. (See postings around
05/03/06). I was woken up one morning by a scream from the present Mrs Jones
who had found the hall crawling with escaping worms!

Best advice I got was to empty the lot onto the compost heap but I do not
want to incur the wrath of number 2 daughter!

Trefor

Old 28-04-2006, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Trefor Jones wrote:
"adm" wrote in message
[...]

I am afraid that is my verdict after trying one for 1 year. The minute
quantities of stuff you get out are not worth it and mainly you get
dead worms and piles of rotting food.
These green cones and variations look simpler. In the meantime, I will
just continue to use my normal compost heaps but I am still reluctant
to put cooked food on them despite assurances from regular compost
experts here who probably do know whta they are taling about.

Des

Trefor

Old 28-04-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

wrote
I am afraid that is my verdict after trying one for 1 year. The
minute quantities of stuff you get out are not worth it and mainly you
get dead worms and piles of rotting food.
These green cones and variations look simpler. In the meantime, I
will just continue to use my normal compost heaps but I am still
reluctant to put cooked food on them despite assurances from regular
compost experts here who probably do know whta they are taling about.

How large a volume of cooked stuff are you talking about though? It may
be time to start serving smaller portions or develop a taste for
leftover remakes like bubble n' squeak and rissoles.

--
Sue

Old 28-04-2006, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
wrote
I am afraid that is my verdict after trying one for 1 year. The
minute quantities of stuff you get out are not worth it and mainly you
get dead worms and piles of rotting food.
These green cones and variations look simpler. In the meantime, I
will just continue to use my normal compost heaps but I am still
reluctant to put cooked food on them despite assurances from regular
compost experts here who probably do know whta they are taling about.

How large a volume of cooked stuff are you talking about though? It may
be time to start serving smaller portions or develop a taste for
leftover remakes like bubble n' squeak and rissoles.

We are quite good with leftovers in our house and I love potato cakes
etc.
No matter how hard you try though, you still always end up dumping
cooked food sooner or later. Whether it comes from tins, packets or
carcasses or potatoes that never made it to potato cakes, a regular
stream of it gets dumped.
We already scrupulously put all veg peelings in the compost heap.

--
Sue

Old 28-04-2006, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Eleni

"adm" wrote in message
Dear All,

I'm thinking of getting a wormery to dispose of all my organic and food
waste. I like the idea of having it all enclosed rather than just sitting
on the top of the compost heap attracting rats etc...

Does anyone have nay experience with this kind of thing, or can you
recommend another approach ?

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/wormeries.htm

I've just had a look at the wormeries in the link above and my wormery looks
much like the smaller 'junior wormery', except it was somewhat cheaper.
It's just an old style dustbin isn't it? I bought mine from Wilkos I think
it was, drilled a hole in it, fitted a tap, stuck it on bricks... It cost a
£5 or so in total.

I've made a few adjustments over the years like adding ventilation holes
because the worms can get too hot living in that plastic, and made sure it's
in the shade in the summer and a bit sheltered during winter. I also made
sure the holes were covered in mesh because I had a wasp problem a while
ago.

It is only small, suitable for one person as the link says, but why not have
several bins on the go at once?

All the best, Eleni.

Old 28-04-2006, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

No matter how hard you try though, you still always end up dumping
cooked food sooner or later.

Bad household management :-(((

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 29-04-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
No matter how hard you try though, you still always end up dumping
cooked food sooner or later.

Bad household management :-(((

Bad grasp of reality :-((

I reckon that in our house I am in the most conservative 5 % compared
to my freidns and acquaintances regarding wating food. If you find
what I said distressing then you will find 95% of all UK household
badly managed.
I assume you do not have young kids in ths house or a busy day job?

Old 29-04-2006, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message .com
from contains these words:

I will
just continue to use my normal compost heaps but I am still reluctant
to put cooked food on them

I can't get my head round anyone throwing away left-over cooked food
in the compost bin!

Although we have a dog and cat, they count themselves lucky to get any
leftovers (the skin and meat pickings from chicken carcases after I've
made stock). If we have leftover meat, it goes into spaghetti sauce or
some variant of shepherds pie or pasties. If it's veg or carbohydrate,
it goes into any of the above , or soup. If it's fat, it's bird food. If
its bones, it gets buried under plants. Even the gloppy scrapings from
the porridge pan (scorned by cat and dog) are eagerly eaten by birds
:-)

We have a cat and no dog and the cat gets nothing. My family are
vegetarian (all of them). Left over meat gets pout in the fridge until
I either eat it or it goes mouldy. I then dump it. If you cannot get
your head round that then good luck to you. We are in the process of
getting a green cone jobby where the left overs will go in the future.
In the meantime, the tiny amounts get dumped. I simply do not have the
time or energy to make shepherds pie or bubble and squeak every
evening.
As it is, we are easily the best recyclers of any family I know. That
is city life with young kids.

Janet

Old 30-04-2006, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

wrote in message
oups.com...

Janet Baraclough wrote:
[...]

Dazz you sound very stressed :-)
A solution to your problems would be to feed the cat some meat resulting in
a very happy pussy. Cease to peel vegetables and cook them as they are
resulting in tastier food, little or no waste and a healthier bank balance.
An added bonus of hours of time saved would allow you time to chill out.

Wormeries - are they worth having? JakeD United Kingdom 118 11-10-2007 01:54 PM
Wormeries v Compost Rupert United Kingdom 5 11-10-2006 01:13 PM
wormeries june sweeney Permaculture 3 03-05-2006 03:57 PM
Liquid Feed And Wormeries Steve Burrows United Kingdom 8 06-04-2005 03:54 PM
wormeries in Winter (plus keeping cool in Summer) Amber Ormerod United Kingdom 10 01-02-2005 12:04 PM