Old 28-04-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK
Default Slug / Snail control

Hi,

Anyone here used copper tape to control slugs/snails??

Would appreciate any comments on how effective it is.

Other suggestions would be very welcome.

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 29-04-2006, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

No I haven't. I haven't heard of this method before so will be
watching this thread with interest. Do you just put the tape around
the plants you want protected?

Sounds like a good method to me, if it works.

Gail

Old 29-04-2006, 10:31 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvrchimaera
Hi,

Anyone here used copper tape to control slugs/snails??

Would appreciate any comments on how effective it is.

Other suggestions would be very welcome.

Kind Regards
Brian
I have a web site and receive many comments in this regard. From these and other articles I have read (forums etc), Copper does work but you will need to make sure no spaces are left for them to squeeze through.

If you have any other pests in the garden check out our pest guide (with pics) at www.usagardener.com
Old 29-04-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Mistress Janet has spoke again

Will you newbies NEVER learn?

You MUST do as 'HER' says

Off to your garden sheds and write out a thousand times 'I must obey the
commands on the 'owners' of this newsgroup' and have it at her feet by
sunrise tomorrow

Janet. Have you NO idea AT ALL just how curt and abrupt your postings are?

OK so you know it all, but even YOU were a newbie once, not that you would
admit it, no doubt you were born with garden spade in your mouth

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

No I haven't. I haven't heard of this method before so will be
watching this thread with interest. Do you just put the tape around
the plants you want protected?

Sounds like a good method to me, if it works.

Gail

Remember, no conversations here are just for the people taking part in
them. For those who missed the earlier part of the thread, the post
above is incomprehensible.

Please notice how other posters quote part of the post they are
replying to, so that other readers who just arrived, know what they are
talking about (and who they are addressing). The quoted part is shown by
indents like this .

There are newsgroup posting tips in the weekly post called abc for
newcomers to urg, or a google search on "netiquette".

Janet

Old 29-04-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

greendude writes

If you have any other pests in the garden check out our pest guide
(with pics) at www.usagardener.com

But don't be too alarmed - gophers and colorado beetle, for example,
are not something you would be troubled by.
--
Kay

Old 29-04-2006, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jeff

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Remember, no conversations here are just for the people taking part in
them. For those who missed the earlier part of the thread, the post
above is incomprehensible.

Please notice how other posters quote part of the post they are
replying to, so that other readers who just arrived, know what they are
talking about (and who they are addressing). The quoted part is shown by
indents like this .

There are newsgroup posting tips in the weekly post called abc for
newcomers to urg, or a google search on "netiquette".

Janet

And people wonder why this group gets trolled!!!
Old 30-04-2006, 04:42 AM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

I've bought some copper tape and will tell you if it works.

It has two chances....
Old 30-04-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
tom&barbara

Hi Janet,

I consider myself told off. I will try to do as you mention, although
I am new to this lark and don't know how to do it. BUT I will find out
if it is that important. I was under the impression that when you
click on a post to reply to it you are aware of what you are replying
to because you can read all previous posts. I understood that all
other readers could also read all previous posts. Is this not the
case?

I will wander off (with tail between legs) to search for 'netiquette'.
Have a lovely weekend :-)

Old 30-04-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Frank Smith

tom&barbara wrote:
No I haven't. I haven't heard of this method before so will be
watching this thread with interest. Do you just put the tape around
the plants you want protected?
Sounds like a good method to me, if it works.

Gail

The stuff that I have is called 'Slug Stopa Tape'. It seems that when
slugs try to cross it an electrical charge is generated and this tickles
their feet and puts them off. It doesn't kill them. You attach it
around the pot but I have to say I didn't find it all that effective in
preventing damage to my hostas but I shall persevere this year.

Frank
Old 30-04-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I consider myself told off. I will try to do as you mention, although
I am new to this lark and don't know how to do it. BUT I will find out
if it is that important. I was under the impression that when you
click on a post to reply to it you are aware of what you are replying
to because you can read all previous posts. I understood that all
other readers could also read all previous posts. Is this not the
case?

I don't know how other newsreaders do it, but using Turnpike, when you
click on reply, you see on screen the whole post you are replying to,
and can add or delete bits of it as you go. I've left your first para so
people know what I'm replying to, but deleted your second.

If I don't have a post open, my screen shows a list of all the current
threads, in the order 1) threads I've contributed to or marked as
'interesting' which have new posts 2) other threads with new posts 3)
threads with no new posts. If I click on one of the threads, it will
expand it to show all the posts linked according to which posts they
were replying to - the branching can get quite complex with long
threads.

But normally I simply use the facility to move directly from one new
post to the next one, so all I see is what someone has posted - and if
they have replied without quoting anything, I can't see what they are
replying to without going to the thread display as described above - a
hassle with a group as busy as urg.

If you post from a web portal, you'll see post after post listed above
each other, and therefore in theory to see what someone is replying to
you just look at the post above theirs. But that breaks down when
threads branch, and the response may be to something that's actually
half a dozen posts above (or even on the previous page) which is why
portal software has found it necessary to provide a 'quote' facility.
--
Kay

Old 30-04-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

Hi Janet,

I consider myself told off.

You weren't told off. (Ignore the trolls trying to stir things up;
trolls are pests whose only interest is to disrupt groups with lies and
childish insults). I was offering you some valuable and essential help.

with a sledge hammer and certainly in a very unfriendly manner and until
your attitude changes to the newcomers and newbies on this newsgroup, I for
one 'as a regular', will point out that you are not the only one here and
that you should abide by a little thing called 'courtesy'. A word seemingly
missing in your vocabulary.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Tom Gardner

"Mike" wrote in
:

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message .com
from "tom&barbara" contains these words:

Hi Janet,

I consider myself told off.

You weren't told off. (Ignore the trolls trying to stir things up;
trolls are pests whose only interest is to disrupt groups with lies
and childish insults). I was offering you some valuable and essential
help.

with a sledge hammer and certainly in a very unfriendly manner and
until your attitude changes to the newcomers and newbies on this
newsgroup, I for one 'as a regular', will point out that you are not
the only one here and that you should abide by a little thing called
'courtesy'. A word seemingly missing in your vocabulary.

For some reason you have snipped her long and helpful comment. Why?

Besides, it isn't really possible for old hands to individually
educate every newcomer as to the technologies characteristics
and the etiquette for using them. That's why FAQs exist and
why newcomer should take the trouble to find, read, and
understand them. Anything else and the newcomer appears to
be a boor.

That's true of all technologies which have a strong social
component, e.g. telephones, ham radio, CB radio, email, web page
style etc etc. And yes, 70 years ago there were FAQs telling people
about the appropriate etiquette when using a telephone.

Old 04-06-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Guildford, Surrey, UK

Hi,

From my little experiment I have to say that the copper tape does work.

For some reason slugs / snails seem to love my young capsium plants. Guess they like spicey food.

I started with 16 healthy plants in a small plastic tent type propagator. Then used the copper tape on 14 out of the 16 pots.
After a few days the 2 unprotected were destroyed by snails. The others were untouched and are still good several weeks later.

I should add that I used the 1" wide tape with a serrated edge.

Unfortunately this tape is expensive, £11 for 5m / 16ft, compared to slug pellets.

Hope this update is useful for those with similar problems.

Kind Regards
Brian
Old 07-06-2006, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Bacon

tvrchimaera wrote:
From my little experiment I have to say that the copper tape does
work.

Is it possible to make this stuff, say by twisting together
copper wire and another sort of wire?