Old 09-05-2006, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

Default How do I protect a hedge from the local kids?

"Scotty22" wrote in message

Grow some bramble bushes inside the bush your trying to protect, and
enjoy the benefits of rasberries/blackberries and protection for your
bush. Just keep in under control

But be aware that if anyone hurts themselves on your bramble,
you could be held liable for their injuries.

The sad state of Nanny Blairs England

Old 09-05-2006, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

someone here wrote:
"Scotty22" wrote in message

Grow some bramble bushes inside the bush your trying to protect, and
enjoy the benefits of rasberries/blackberries and protection for your
bush. Just keep in under control

But be aware that if anyone hurts themselves on your bramble,
you could be held liable for their injuries.

The sad state of Nanny Blairs England

You may find that legal actions for personal injury go back a little
further than New Labour: the Code of the celebrated Iraqi Hammurabi
comes to mind, and that was nearly four thousand years ago.

--
Mike.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
the_constructor

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

someone here wrote:
"Scotty22" wrote in message

Grow some bramble bushes inside the bush your trying to protect, and
enjoy the benefits of rasberries/blackberries and protection for your
bush. Just keep in under control

But be aware that if anyone hurts themselves on your bramble,
you could be held liable for their injuries.

The sad state of Nanny Blairs England

You may find that legal actions for personal injury go back a little
further than New Labour: the Code of the celebrated Iraqi Hammurabi
comes to mind, and that was nearly four thousand years ago.

--
Mike.

Where I live, we have Speight's of hedge hoppers (kids) and the local Police
advised everyone at the local Residents Association meeting to plant very
prickly bushes in their gardens. This way, if anyone injures themselves then
it is their own faults, they should not have been there, and it is not
against the law to plant these types of bushes. They also said that they
would take no action if the kids complained.
--
the_constructor.

Old 10-05-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sue

"the_constructor" wrote

Where I live, we have Speight's of hedge hoppers (kids) and the local
Police advised everyone at the local Residents Association meeting to
plant very prickly bushes in their gardens. This way, if anyone
injures themselves then it is their own faults, they should not have
been there, and it is not against the law to plant these types of
bushes. They also said that they would take no action if the kids
complained.

Trimmed prickly boundary hedges are one thing but bramble canes, which
were suggested somewhere upthread, are a bit of a different matter if
you allow them to grow out from your property over a public footpath
though - and they can grow quickly. You might very well be liable for
damages if someone got hurt by one whipping about in the wind. I know of
someone who lost an eye like this.

--
Sue

Old 10-05-2006, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sue wrote:
"the_constructor" wrote

Trimmed prickly boundary hedges are one thing but bramble canes, which
were suggested somewhere upthread, are a bit of a different matter if
you allow them to grow out from your property over a public footpath
though - and they can grow quickly. You might very well be liable for
damages if someone got hurt by one whipping about in the wind. I know of
someone who lost an eye like this.

--
Sue

I've mentioned it before, if the hedge isn't overhanging the pavement
you could probably put up railings. If it is overhanging then cut it
back. I get a bit peaved when I have to step into the road to avoid
walking into peoples hedges.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've mentioned it before, if the hedge isn't overhanging the pavement
you could probably put up railings. If it is overhanging then cut it
back. I get a bit peaved when I have to step into the road to avoid
walking into peoples hedges.

That's not a fair point when you don't know the situation. Yes, of
course, the hedge grows outwards over the pavement but only by a few
inches. I don't see how I could ensure that it didn't encroach at all
without destroying the hedge myself. The key point is that the pavement
is wide (at least 10 feet), and there is no unreasonable encroachment,
and certainly not enough to justify pushing each other into it. Even if
it was cut back a few inches, I don't see why that would make the kids
want to stop doing it.

Old 10-05-2006, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

wrote in message
oups.com...
Why are they congregating outside your house?

They're not. They just walk past on their way to school. Thanks for the
other suggestion.

how about spraying something really foul smelling (but benign) on the
hedge.

Any lad going head long in to it will get covered in the smell.

Interesting idea though again, I wonder if this would just increase the
tempatation to push your mate into it...? !

Horse manure would help, I would think that their parents would say
something to them if they came home covered in it, the smell alone may put
them off.

Alan

Old 10-05-2006, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone here

"the_constructor" wrote in message

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
oups.com...

someone here wrote:
"Scotty22" wrote in message

[...]

Different interpretations of the law.
Our police force will:-
Take action against you if you cause damage to someone, even if their being
there is proven to be illegal.
ie they scaled a six foot high wall into a yard and cut themselves on the
sharp plough that was parked inside.

If you are personally assaulted, they will take no action if you fought back
and injured one of your attackers.

We have been told to remove spiky plants from hedging which adjoins a public
footpath. Also advised that it should not be
near any access path to the property.

YMMV

Old 10-05-2006, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Tue, 9 May 2006 15:02:22 +0100, Scotty22 wrote
(in message ):

Grow some bramble bushes inside the bush your trying to protect, and
enjoy the benefits of rasberries/blackberries and protection for your
bush. Just keep in under control

These are very nasty things if you collide with one unexpectedly! I recently
had to deal with a very tenacious yet totally dead and dried out bramble
branch that had been this way for some time- I got caught uip in it before I
realised what it was. These do not need to be alive to be nasty- the thorns
seem to work perfectly for a long time afterwards- probably until the whole
thing eventually rots and falls apart- which could take a long time. The
drying out means a dead branch gets a lot thinner and less dangerous-looking,
but it stays quite strong and stringy nevertheless. If someone put something
like this inside the front of a hedge, the hooking action of the thorns means
they would probably stay in place for a while- and if it ever arises one
could claim somebody must have put them there. I'm wondering about this whole
area myself as I have a young rose hedge and may need to consider a fence to
go in front of that. It has belatedly occurred to me that some totally
innocent little kid could get pushed into it, and that bothers me.
--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Cut it back enough to put up railings or a rail then let the hedge grow
into the railings. You could brace the railings from within the hedge
to give extra stability. Kids won't be jumping into a railing for fun.

That might solve half the problem, but add to the other half... that of them
throwing other kids into the hedge?

They push each other into it rather than throw each other into it, and
I think that there would be no 'fun' in doing this if there was a rail.