Old 10-04-2003, 07:08 AM
subbykins{Chrd}

Default Snow!

As I sit this morning in front of our picture window onto the garden I
can see a light snowfall, my tulips etc. don't seem to be suffering
but if this keeps up for long it can't be good for the garden given
that everything out there has been lulled into thinking it's actually
spring.

Perhaps this is normal for April and being closer to nature now having
a garden I'm just more aware of it? Any views anyone?
"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Old 10-04-2003, 11:32 AM
Alison

"subbykins{Chrd}" wrote in message
As I sit this morning in front of our picture window onto the garden I
can see a light snowfall, my tulips etc. don't seem to be suffering
but if this keeps up for long it can't be good for the garden given
that everything out there has been lulled into thinking it's actually
spring.

Perhaps this is normal for April and being closer to nature now having
a garden I'm just more aware of it? Any views anyone?
"The only time you don't fail is the last time you try anything -- and it
works."

- William Strong

subbykins{Chrd}

Yeeeks whereabouts are you!!! We have had an exceptionally (and unusually)
good March and beginning of April here on the east coast of Scotland.
Usually March brings a fair bit of snow and couldn't be ruled out in April
either but so far, not a flake :-) As with frost but we haven't seen any of
that since February (*very* suspicious!!)

In previous years the plants haven't seemed to mind an April snowfall but
it's a hard frost that they hate - still time for that so the the bubblewrap
remains on the greenhouse and fleece is at the ready for anything outdoors
that might just have enjoyed the unseasonal weather too much and gone into
overdrive. Bulbs seem to withstand anything, they just slow down in growth
a little.

--A

Old 10-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Martin Brown

subbykins{Chrd} wrote:

As I sit this morning in front of our picture window onto the garden I
can see a light snowfall, my tulips etc. don't seem to be suffering
but if this keeps up for long it can't be good for the garden given
that everything out there has been lulled into thinking it's actually spring.

Same here in Belgium - except that it was already white when we woke up!
Air temperature is just above freezing so it melts again once the snow flurries
stop.

Bulbs and flowering plums, cherries (almost pears) do not look happy.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 PM
subbykins{Chrd}

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:27:48 +0100, "Alison"
o.uk wrote:

Yeeeks whereabouts are you!!! We have had an exceptionally (and unusually)
good March and beginning of April here on the east coast of Scotland.
Usually March brings a fair bit of snow and couldn't be ruled out in April
either but so far, not a flake :-) As with frost but we haven't seen any of
that since February (*very* suspicious!!)

In previous years the plants haven't seemed to mind an April snowfall but
it's a hard frost that they hate - still time for that so the the bubblewrap
remains on the greenhouse and fleece is at the ready for anything outdoors
that might just have enjoyed the unseasonal weather too much and gone into
overdrive. Bulbs seem to withstand anything, they just slow down in growth
a little.

Believe it or not I'm in East London, but fortunately the snow didn't
settle or last long, and on arrival home tonight the tulips have
suffered no ill effects. I'll have to wait until the weekend to see
if anything else has been damaged.

Mad thing is Mother's day we had a lovely barbecue and spent the whole
afternoon sitting out in the garden.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:32 PM
Kay Easton

In article , subbykins{Chrd}
writes
As I sit this morning in front of our picture window onto the garden I
can see a light snowfall, my tulips etc. don't seem to be suffering
but if this keeps up for long it can't be good for the garden given
that everything out there has been lulled into thinking it's actually
spring.

Perhaps this is normal for April and being closer to nature now having
a garden I'm just more aware of it? Any views anyone?

April snowfalls aren't uncommon! I recall an April 17th snowfall in
London and my garden diary recalls snow for 3 days in April 1999 in
Leeds.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 11-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 19:26:08 +0100, Kay Easton
wrote:

April snowfalls aren't uncommon! I recall an April 17th snowfall in
London and my garden diary recalls snow for 3 days in April 1999 in
Leeds.

Do you think the Americans are hearing the wake up call at long
last? I believe they have been having very bitter and unseasonable
weather and grumbling like mad about it.

Records seem to be being broken with monotonous regularity these
days. Coldest since, hottest since etc.

Sign o' the times.

Hussein

May you live an interesting life.
Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 AM
Gary Woods

Hussein M. wrote:

Records seem to be being broken with monotonous regularity these
days. Coldest since, hottest since etc.

Sign o' the times.

Next you're going to be telling me that those Jehovah's Witnesses that
periodically show up at my door are right; that these are the End Times.

I'm one of those Americans, and I've been doing precious little whining.
I've got much bigger things worth whining about, and I'm finally accepting
even that. Not that I'm thrilled with the mixed bag this spring, but
because I accept that nature is like that. It gives me a certain
subversive glee that we can't do anything about the weather, and can't even
predict it at all well.

As some sci-fi story put it:

"All the same, Orion shall rise."

And the garlic is peeping through the rapidly melting snow.

Life is good.

Old 11-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Hussein M.

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:01:34 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

Hussein M. wrote:

Records seem to be being broken with monotonous regularity these
days. Coldest since, hottest since etc.

Sign o' the times.

Next you're going to be telling me that those Jehovah's Witnesses that
periodically show up at my door are right; that these are the End Times.

No! (Wondering what made Gary's discourse take a turn into hyperbole
and derision).

I'm one of those Americans, and I've been doing precious little whining.
I've got much bigger things worth whining about, and I'm finally accepting
even that.

Personal stuff?

Not that I'm thrilled with the mixed bag this spring, but
because I accept that nature is like that.

Yep. Nature. Weird, wonderful and full of surprises - amongst which
producing a species which can chuck so much of a certain gas into the
atmosphere that it affects all living creatures in a manner wherein it
is hard to find any benefit save for the opportunists.
Hey! Evolution needs a kick up the arse!

It gives me a certain subversive glee that we can't do anything
about the weather, and can't even predict it at all well.

Predicting weather is small scale stuff. Let's get into climate
change, space travel and moon dwellings.

As some sci-fi story put it:

"All the same, Orion shall rise."

Perhaps even ol' Phoenix will make his entrance stage left ...

I receive neither inspiration nor entertainment from sci-fi. Perhaps a
degree of marvelling at the extent to which people believe what they
want to believe - which is usually what the immediate crowd believes.

Continental philosophy is more my line. Oops. Scrub that statement or
leave it? Nah. Why not leave it.

And the garlic is peeping through the rapidly melting snow.

Life is good.

For you ..... and shitty beyond your imagination for some.

Oh Dear. With the likelihood that it will attract a cart load of
off-topic shit going round and round in pointless circles I am now
ignoring this thread.

I would never ignore _you_ Gary. You are much too interesting and
knowledgeable concerning the subject matter of this newsgroup.

"There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in our
philosophy."

The Bard
(probably misremembered and certainly with the personal pronoun
diplomatically changed -)

A word increasingly bandied around these days is " hubris".

hubris noun
[u] (literary) the fact of sb being too proud.
In literature, a character with this pride ignores warnings and laws
and this usually results in their downfall and death.

Hussein

Grow a little garden

spam block - for real addy, reverse letters of second level domain.
Old 11-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Jessica

Its been spring for Americans in Northwest Washington all winter long. I've
had nothing to grumble about here. ;-) Imagine my delight when I saw
geraniums in bloom in January!