Old 13-04-2003, 06:08 AM
kdupar

Default Gardeners World

If, like me, you missed the programme on Friday night it is being
repeated
on Sundays 11-11.30am BBC 2.

Natalie

Unless you live in Scotland, where golf replaced the Beechgrove Garden
on Thursday, and the Beechgrove
was broadcast in the Gardeners' World slot on Friday, and GW is now
scheduled for12 noon on Sunday. I know golf (not to mention gardening)
is a 'religion' to some people, but others of us are in church at noon
on Sunday. (Will have to remember to set the video.)

Kristina
black-isle.info/orchard

Old 13-04-2003, 06:56 AM
mick

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

The real problem with gardeners World is still there - too many fingers

in
the soil. Too many band wagon gardeners, not naming names but "the

team".
Gardening is not a team game. One has ones garden and it is ones

personal
and total domain. It aint a "team effort".
And I can understand why AT gave up the programme when having to work

with
that Team and in HIS Garden!

I note the garden is for the first time not that of the presenter!??

Too many cooks and all that!

Gardening is not a team effort? Well. I hope all those people who run
Wisley, Kew, Rosemoor know that. How did Percy Thrower and Geoff Hamilton
miss that? Indeed, I must remember to talk sternly to my husband
tomorrow.......
--

And my grandfather was a Head Gardener for a very large garden ( when such
things were not just limited to Kew etc).

I note ( I think it was in GW) that one of the features was a Garden in
Cornwall. They asked the owner how he had succeeded in having such a unique
garrden and he said it was becuase in 100 years they had only had three Head
Gardeners controlling the garden and so there had been continuity of ideas.
Supports my point.
GW has too many chiefs with too many different ideas.

Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 AM
JennyC

"Gill Hall" wrote
snip
We breathed a huge sigh of relief - MD has been my favourite

gardening
presenter for a long time - so practical and down to earth. Thank

heavens for
no gimmicky camera work, a long term attitude to gardening (and no

Ivan
Hicks!).
Gill Hall

I love Ivan Hicks !!
Maybe he could have his own program for us fans :~)
Jenny

Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 AM
JennyC

"mandy thomas" wrote
It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing

approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

Well we are gardeners............
Plus the BBC read this group, so we like to tell them our opinions :~)
Jenny

Old 13-04-2003, 09:08 AM
The Devil's Advocate

At least it sounds like we have a GARDENER back on the show, I will start
watching again to see if it is as good as people say

The Devil's Advocate I only set the stage, you pull your own strings

Trevor Appleton wrote:
: can't get on the BBC Gardeners Worlds Monty Don Website but BBC
: please Oh please bring back the PROPER theme music!!!
:
:
: ---
: Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).
:
:
:
:
: http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
: -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

Old 13-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Natalie

If, like me, you missed the programme on Friday night it is being repeated
on Sundays 11-11.30am BBC 2.

Well I've just watched the repeat and found it very refreshing :-)

I even didn't mind the music too much ;-)

I'll definitely be a regular again, remembering to record it if I'm out
again!

The tip on growing in compost bags was rather good. I think I'll grow the
ones at school like that rather than in the old plastic bins. As I haven't
got round to putting holes in the bins yet maybe I could use them for
collecting rainwater...assuming we will get some rain!

Natalie

Old 13-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Sacha

in article , mick at
wrote on 13/4/03 6:49 am:

"Sacha" wrote in message
in article , mick at
wrote on 12/4/03 9:16 pm:

[...]

But for a gardening programme, it could be argued that is a necessity.
There isn't only 'one way' of gardening. But I think the beginning of the
new series made it clear that Monty Don is the one 'in charge' if one thinks
that so important.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 13-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Bazza

On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:49:33 +0100, "mick"
wibbled:

The difference my love is,

I'm sure if you try really hard you could get even more patronising.

there is only one person in charge.

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

Barry Smith bazzas at btinternet.com
'It's not easy ... building Xanadu in the backstreets of Weatherfield.'
Old 13-04-2003, 06:33 PM
Ophelia

"Bazza" wrote in message news

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

Exactly the same here

Ophelia

Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 PM
mick

"Bazza" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 06:49:33 +0100, "mick"
wibbled:

The difference my love is,

I'm sure if you try really hard you could get even more patronising.

Yah , your right, I shouldnt have said it that way - but tis the way I
speak.
I appologise for the turn of phrase.

Old 13-04-2003, 08:08 PM
mick

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Bazza" wrote in message news

That's not the way we work in our garden. Seems to me that when it
comes to gardening, me and my partner are just that, a partnership.

You are missing the point. There is a difference between a "partnership" and
the idea of a "team"

The former implies an equal sharing between people who have agreed to work
together. They all agree on who will be a mamber of the partnership. Its a
mutual arrangement.
A "team" is put together by some leader and the members are forced to work
together at professional level . They have no choice in who is part of the
team.

Old 13-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Fenny

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard Gill Hall say...
It just amazes me that people want to write messages expressing approval or
otherwise for a TV programme.

Gardeners World is no mere TV programme. It's an institution of gardening life!
Some took our first faltering gardening steps at its knee, if you follow my
mixed metaphor.

The trailers for the new series of GW use the old theme music and
everyone out in their gardens recognises it. Why then change it to
something people don't recognise. One of the reasons for theme music is
that when you;re out in the kitchen between progs and the kettle is
boiling, you know what you are listening for.
--
Fenny
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.