Old 03-04-2009, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners' World

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

They must have done an awful lot of cultivation and soil improvement
in Feb. First it was a muddy quagmire, and the next we saw they were
planting things like trees and bulbs with no sign of mud, just nice
friable soil. I'd love to know how they did it!

Pam in Bristol
Old 03-04-2009, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote
Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

They must have done an awful lot of cultivation and soil improvement
in Feb. First it was a muddy quagmire, and the next we saw they were
planting things like trees and bulbs with no sign of mud, just nice
friable soil. I'd love to know how they did it!

He mentioned many tons of soil improver, and there was probably a
professional type cultivator involved for some time.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:29:48 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been
discussed here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered
but cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

They must have done an awful lot of cultivation and soil improvement
in Feb. First it was a muddy quagmire, and the next we saw they were
planting things like trees and bulbs with no sign of mud, just nice
friable soil. I'd love to know how they did it!

They tell porkies.

lol

Old 03-04-2009, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been
discussed here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered
but cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

aka Azada
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 03-04-2009, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been
discussed here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered
but cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. *Is that what someone here
recommended? *I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

aka Azada
--
Pete C
London UK

I have one of those.

Judith

Old 03-04-2009, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 3, 11:53*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:52:03 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been
discussed here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered
but cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. *Is that what someone here
recommended? *I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

aka Azada

I have one of those.

That's cos you live in foreign parts.

We only have Lidl and Aldi.
--

Martin

Yeah but ..... We have those too and with the prices in the large
hypermarkets going sky high, I have discovered Aldi and Lidl. We make
our own bread and always buy the flour from Aldi or Lidl, now they
seem to have a shortage, have you noticed that?

Also, their plants, when they have them are rubbish, half dead and
also quite expensive. I saw Orchids in pots there, tooooo expensive.

Judith
Old 04-04-2009, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:43:04 +0200, Martin wrote:

I knew what a mattock was long before the spaghetti episode in Panorama. I heard
Azada used for the first time this week. )
--

Ditto. Is there a difference or are they the same thing? The word
mattock has been around a long time certainly.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-04-2009, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:36:33 +0200, Martin wrote:

Did you notice the thickness of the wooden walls of the shed?
Film set thickness. The sort that somebody in a bar brawl is thrown through.
I also liked the way the recycled windows from the well known scrap yard near
Stoke on Trent stayed in the holes that had been cut for them without any
further support. Slam the door hard and the whole lot would come tumbling down
in real life

Having a sofa in the shed (and a kettle dangerously placed on a
camping stove on the table) seemed like a cross between GQT's
"potting shed" and the sofa in Spring Watch.

Pam in Bristol
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

One of the tools used when we work in the Country park is a mattock.
I wielded it for a short time, preparing ground for planting a hedge.
It looked (and felt!) a lot heavier than the 90° hoe which Carol was
leaning on in GW...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Martin
writes
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

One of the tools used when we work in the Country park is a mattock.
I wielded it for a short time, preparing ground for planting a hedge.
It looked (and felt!) a lot heavier than the 90° hoe which Carol was
leaning on in GW...

A group of us do volunteer work with Dorset Wildlife Trust and Dorset CC
Ranger Service. Mattocks are much in evidence when replacing revetments
for paths, ditching etc. It's an extremely useful tool for all sorts of
things.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jiri Borsky - www.borsky.com wrote:

wrote:

I knew what a mattock was long before the spaghetti episode in
Panorama. I heard Azada used for the first time this week. )
--

Ditto. Is there a difference or are they the same thing? The word
mattock has been around a long time certainly.

Mattock is from Old E "mattuc", of unknown origin. I only looked it up
as the Czech word for the said implement "motyka" sounds rather
similar.

Jiri Borsky
gardening in N Staffs

'Azada' is Spanish for hoe I beleive. The implements with that name are
generally imported from Spain.
--
Pete C
London UK

Old 04-04-2009, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore writes:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.

Son't suppose anyone knows where Mr Buckland went to school?

I know we're from the same county, and our Tech Drawing teachers
appear to share the same surname...

Anthony

Old 04-04-2009, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

One of the tools used when we work in the Country park is a mattock.
I wielded it for a short time, preparing ground for planting a hedge.
It looked (and felt!) a lot heavier than the 90° hoe which Carol was
leaning on in GW...

A group of us do volunteer work with Dorset Wildlife Trust and Dorset CC
Ranger Service. Mattocks are much in evidence when replacing revetments
for paths, ditching etc. It's an extremely useful tool for all sorts of
things.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

I have one and would not be without it, brilliant tool

kate

Old 04-04-2009, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 4, 12:03*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 15:57:19 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I heard they was a shortage of flour in France, but we have plenty here. How
about the their brioche mix?

Also, their plants, when they have them are rubbish, half dead and
also quite expensive. *I saw Orchids in pots there, tooooo expensive.

Here they are quite fresh, not surprising since the stores are only about 5
miles from the biggest flower/plant auction in Europe
--

Martin

No, none of that but they have plenty of patisserie mix.

Judith
Old 04-04-2009, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sam Sam is offline

Pam Moore wrote:
Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers;
The other was Joe's digging hoe.

I had one for years until the haft went.
I knew it as an adze.
Sam