Old 07-06-2006, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jollygreenp

Default Flower Identity

We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

J.

Old 07-06-2006, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Jollygreenp wrote:
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

A geum, a yellow one. You have also aquilegia in there and geranium
(some blue petals are amongst the plants).

Old 07-06-2006, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jollygreenp writes
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

J.

Hmm. It's a pity the camera decided to focus on the leaf at the expense
of the flower! From the leaf I'd suggest globeflower (Trollius
europaeus) , but it doesn't seem to have quite enough petals. But the
centre of the flower suggests it is some member of the buttercup family,
so globe flower is probably right.
--
Kay
Old 07-06-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...

Jollygreenp wrote:
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

A geum, a yellow one. You have also aquilegia in there and geranium
(some blue petals are amongst the plants).

I think the blue petals ( and the white) are from the Aquilegia. I like that
colour blue and don't think there is a geranium matching it.

Old 07-06-2006, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Jollygreenp wrote:
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

A geum, a yellow one. You have also aquilegia in there and geranium
(some blue petals are amongst the plants).

I think the blue petals ( and the white) are from the Aquilegia. I like that
colour blue and don't think there is a geranium matching it.

Leaves are wrong for a Geum, surely? Geum leaves have pinnately arranged
serrated lobes. The leaves of the plant in the question are deeply
divide palmately arranged lobes.

I'd agree the petals are from the aquilegia. Perhaps La Puce is thinking
that the lobed leaves are geranium rather than belonging to the yellow
flower? - they are similar to geranium leaves but not quite right.
--
Kay

Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jollygreenp

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from K contains these words:

Jollygreenp writes
We came across a striking looking flower hidden in our friends garden
amongst the aquilegias. Can anyone identify it please?
URL address below.

http://static.flickr.com/59/159915251_9f3f61deed_o.jpg

J.

Hmm. It's a pity the camera decided to focus on the leaf at the expense
of the flower! From the leaf I'd suggest globeflower (Trollius
europaeus) , but it doesn't seem to have quite enough petals. But the
centre of the flower suggests it is some member of the buttercup family,
so globe flower is probably right.

Seconded.

Janet.

Thanks folks, after searching through flower pictures in the
Ranunculaceae group all night I have come to the conclusion that it is
probably a Trollius Asiaticus
http://www.stauder.net/bildearkiv/Tr...ticus%20SL.jpg
that is just about to open fully.

J.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

K wrote:
Leaves are wrong for a Geum, surely? Geum leaves have pinnately arranged
serrated lobes. The leaves of the plant in the question are deeply
divide palmately arranged lobes.
I'd agree the petals are from the aquilegia. Perhaps La Puce is thinking
that the lobed leaves are geranium rather than belonging to the yellow
flower? - they are similar to geranium leaves but not quite right.

Indeed. In my garden, flowers grow through other plants and give the
impression that a flower, say marguerite, would belong to the fatsia
leaves because it is growing through it. I like this very much )

Here is the blue geranium in my garden. The leaves are very similar to
the OP's picture.

http://cjoint.com/?giltf6kFT8

This is the Johnson's one, which I would like one day .... :

http://cjoint.com/?gill7bu6iX

And here is the yellow geum. My geum is red but start yellow and keeps
a yellow rim on the red petals. I'm really happy about this as I
thought I had a yellow and was very dissapointed. Anyhow the leaves are
very much like the one on the OP picture. And the flower is indeed like
the ronunculus ones - buttercup family - like the geum.

http://cjoint.com/?gilmBToGnZ

Old 09-06-2006, 02:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stewart Robert Hinsley

In message .com, La
Puce writes
And the flower is indeed like the ronunculus ones - buttercup family -
like the geum.

How your sentence is meant to fit together is ambiguous - are you
claiming that Geum is ranunculaceous? (It's rosaceous.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 09-06-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Forget leaves. Look closer at the stamens, the stumpy even ones on
geum are very modest, compared with the typical big boss of stamens in
the trollius picture, which protrude beyond the rim of the petals.

True - a bit blur though - but true. Every details count indeed )

Old 09-06-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message .com, La
Puce writes
And the flower is indeed like the ronunculus ones - buttercup family -
like the geum.

How your sentence is meant to fit together is ambiguous - are you
claiming that Geum is ranunculaceous? (It's rosaceous.)

Nonono! I'm saying that the flower is like a ronunculus one, buttercup
family and similar, simply just *similar* of the geum. Janet pointed
out that the stamens are higher than the rim of the petals - a detail
which rules out the Geum posibility.

I'm hot, too hot now ... I'd give anything to get thrown into a river,
the sea, a bucket even!

Old 09-06-2006, 11:32 AM
Registered User

hi
I have a plant in my garden that i know nothing about or even what it is it has red leaves and little tiny pink flowers help please
Old 09-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Registered User

[quote=prettylittlefis]hi
I have a plant in my garden that i know nothing about or even what it is it has red leaves and little tiny pink flowers help please
Attached Thumbnails
Flower Identity-dscf0237.jpg
Old 09-06-2006, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

prettylittlefis wrote:
prettylittlefis Wrote:

hi
I have a plant in my garden that i know nothing about or even what it
is it has red leaves and little tiny pink flowers help please

|Filename: DSCF0237.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2912|

It's a Heuchera...
Old 09-06-2006, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

On 9/6/06 15:27, in article , "Philippe
Gautier" wrote:

prettylittlefis wrote:
prettylittlefis Wrote:

hi
I have a plant in my garden that i know nothing about or even what it
is it has red leaves and little tiny pink flowers help please

|Filename: DSCF0237.JPG |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=2912|

It's a Heuchera...

which appears to have a label stuck in it.....

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-06-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

prettylittlefis writes

hi
I have a plant in my garden that i know nothing about or even what it
is it has red leaves and little tiny pink flowers help please

Hmm.

Leaves look like heuchera - similar to

http://tinyurl.co.uk/qxxd

Flowers I'm almost certain don't belong to it - I'm pretty sure they're
Herb Robert, and belong to the green leaves that you can see underneath
the red leaves.

http://tinyurl.co.uk/ggl4

Herb Robert seeds itself around with abandon and can become a nuisance.
--
Kay

Help to identity a flower? Lickity Splickets Gardening 3 19-02-2005 08:04 AM
Anyone know flower identity? AD Orchids 4 16-03-2004 04:29 AM
Anyone know flower identity? AD Roses 2 15-03-2004 11:18 AM
intro & identity of flower question Lynda Gardening 1 07-07-2003 02:56 PM