Old 13-06-2006, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

Default Problems with Bakker or J Parker?

I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently- the plants have always arrived, but a little too frequently for my
liking aren't the variety that was ordered or the plants do not wake up from
dormancy. And with my most recent order from Bakker several of the variegated
stonecrop I received were at the point of death on arrival- and the ones that
survived weren't variegated. I think I'm at the point of resolving not to
order from either of these again, especially dormant plants, geraniums, or
towards the end of the spring mail-order season. I wondered if anyone else
has encountered similar problems?

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 13-06-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently-

--snip your valid concerns--

Have you tried telephoning them and airing your concerns?

I find 'talking' to people, allbeit at the other end of a telephone helps. I
have had some superb service and cleared many a problem through telephone
contact, especially if you can get the name of the person who 'cares' for
your concerns :-))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

Old 13-06-2006, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

The message m
from VX contains these words:

I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently-

Bakkers are to plant supplies as Macdonalds are to gourmet dining.
They are bulk-supplying plants grown in polytunnesl in Holland. You
would do far better to buy mailorder plants grown outdoors in the UK;
there are scores of reputable, smaller UK nurseries to choose from.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
Old 13-06-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jane

"VX" wrote...
I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently. I wondered if anyone else
has encountered similar problems?

Last year I ordered 10 plants from Parker's. The plants were bare roots,
which I planted and which duly grew well. Turned out to be bindweed (I'm
not kidding). No problem getting my money back, but that doesn't help me
with the problem I now have getting rid of the stuff, not to mention the
money it's cost me to buy weedkiller.

Old 13-06-2006, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message m
from VX contains these words:

I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently-

Bakkers are to plant supplies as Macdonalds are to gourmet dining.
They are bulk-supplying plants grown in polytunnesl in Holland. You
would do far better to buy mailorder plants grown outdoors in the UK;
there are scores of reputable, smaller UK nurseries to choose from.

Janet

--
Isle of Arran Open Gardens weekend 21,22,23 July 2006
5 UKP three-day adult ticket (funds go to island charities) buys entry
to 26 private gardens

..Do you mean McDonald's? or do they brand differently in foreign
countries:-)
Not much wrong with Holland or polytunnels they even have the latter in
Cornwall and Scotland.

Old 13-06-2006, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

"Jane" wrote in message
"VX" wrote...
I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently. I wondered if anyone else
has encountered similar problems?

Last year I ordered 10 plants from Parker's. The plants were bare roots,
which I planted and which duly grew well. Turned out to be bindweed (I'm
not kidding). No problem getting my money back, but that doesn't help me
with the problem I now have getting rid of the stuff, not to mention the
money it's cost me to buy weedkiller.

Very curious-what plants did you order?
Next time you order you may be luckier and get Knotweed:-)

Old 13-06-2006, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:37:35 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote
(in message ):

Bakkers are to plant supplies as Macdonalds are to gourmet dining.
They are bulk-supplying plants grown in polytunnesl in Holland. You
would do far better to buy mailorder plants grown outdoors in the UK;
there are scores of reputable, smaller UK nurseries to choose from.

Janet

Yes, this constitutes my standard for comparison. I've had great stuff from a
number of small(er) UK nurseries. The whole "feel" of ordering from these is
different. And they send you big plants! I feel better now- sometimes you
just need to hear it from someone else too....

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 13-06-2006, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield

On Tue, 13 Jun 2006 19:20:47 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

Last year I ordered 10 plants from Parker's. The plants were bare roots,
which I planted and which duly grew well. Turned out to be bindweed (I'm
not kidding).

Good grief. You must have been a tad disappointed with that delivery!
--
Paul C

Old 14-06-2006, 06:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"VX" wrote in message
s.com...
I've become aware of a number of "reliability issues" with both companies
recently- the plants have always arrived, but a little too frequently for
my
liking aren't the variety that was ordered or the plants do not wake up
from
dormancy. And with my most recent order from Bakker several of the
variegated
stonecrop I received were at the point of death on arrival- and the ones
that
survived weren't variegated. I think I'm at the point of resolving not to
order from either of these again, especially dormant plants, geraniums, or
towards the end of the spring mail-order season. I wondered if anyone else
has encountered similar problems?
VX (remove alcohol for email)

I've had the same problem with Bakker (in Holland!) The plants in their shop
are just as bad.........
Jenny

Old 14-06-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

JennyC wrote:
I've had the same problem with Bakker (in Holland!) The plants in their shop
are just as bad.........

Blimey! Never bought from them. I'm a Crocus person. I just *LOVE*
Crocus. However, I don't like J Parker either. I've mentioned here a
while ago about the bulbs they 'kindly donated' to a local community
group. The bulbs were abominable - they simply got rid of the stock
they couldn't sale, the bulbs that people had touch since September and
disgarded. Disgraceful.

Old 25-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Puce View Post
JennyC wrote:
I've had the same problem with Bakker (in Holland!) The plants in their shop
are just as bad.........

Blimey! Never bought from them. I'm a Crocus person. I just *LOVE*
Crocus. However, I don't like J Parker either. I've mentioned here a
while ago about the bulbs they 'kindly donated' to a local community
group. The bulbs were abominable - they simply got rid of the stock
they couldn't sale, the bulbs that people had touch since September and
disgarded. Disgraceful.
i ordered 30 lily bulbs from the daily telegraph and received them today 27/2/11 from the package its come from PARKERS the bulbs are really small and one stargazer packet was old rotten (they said they will send a new one) ..............what a mistake to buy from these people these bulbs will take at least 3-4 years to get up to the size i bought earlier this year from HILLIERS garden center .............you live and learn