Old 05-07-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Default water butts

"pea_thrower" wrote in message
ups.com...

Mike wrote:
"pea_thrower" wrote in message
ups.com...

wrote:
Hello,

I would like to buy some water butts. Where is the best (cheapest?)
place to get them? Is the water company the cheapest? They seem to
sell them for about £35. I think in B&Q and such places it is £24 for
the butt, £10 for the stand, and the diverter is on top of that, so I
guess the water company is £10 cheaper but obviously there is a big
wait.

Thanks.

Why on earth don't the water companies supply butts at cost price. They
are forever bleating on about the amount of water we all waste - here's
a chance for them to reduce it and increase their own profits.

They do :-))

Two of our butts have come via a Southern Water Scheme :-)))

Mike

www.rnshipmates.co.uk
International Festival of the Sea 28th June - 1st July 2007

At cost? I doubt it.

£15.00 for the Butt and £8.00 for the stand. This included a free Rain
Diverter Kit

The Butt has a capacity of 220 Litres, a height of 930 mm and a diameter of
665 mm

Don't know if the deal is still on, it was a pick up, by arrangement and
timetable, on June 18th from one of three car parks on the Isle of Wight,
but the web site is/was www.getcomposting.com/swds

The company organising it is Blackwall, Freepost LS6334, Leeds. LS14 1YY.
Maybe they are doing one in your area, but for the special price, it will be
through your Water Company, at cost? Yes :-)))))

Hope that helps

Old 05-07-2006, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
pea_thrower

wrote:
[...]

Cheers Mike

I'm half convinced. The price is less than I expected. How many were
you entitled to at that price?

Old 05-07-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

The company organising it is Blackwall, Freepost LS6334, Leeds. LS14 1YY.
Maybe they are doing one in your area, but for the special price, it will
be
through your Water Company, at cost? Yes :-)))))

We have three, bought through Yorkshire Water at that price - I think the
first might have been less because it was some time ago.

Blackwall is just up the road from us. After the first offer, when we
realised how efficient the butts were, we asked Blackwall if we could buy
more. We could - but not at that price. When the offer came again we snapped
it up.

I also use a smaller barrel with lid which we rescued from somewhere and my
mother's dolly tub on each side of the greenhouse to collect roof run-off,
it's surprising how much we collect from an 8' x 6' pitched roof.

The butt which collects from a shed isn't big enough, the excess is diverted
into a plastic dustbin.

I water vegetables daily, I'm delighted with the butts. And since our water
is metered it also keeps down our bills, although that's not why we bought
the butts.

Mary

Old 05-07-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

Cheers Mike

I'm half convinced. The price is less than I expected. How many were
you entitled to at that price?

Only 'half'??

We were only allowed two at that price and when I turned up at the Car Park
at the pre arranged time, there were two massive trailers with the local Sea
Cadets and their Officers helping guide the people, cars and directing
traffic in general :-))

Very well organised and if you get the chance to take up the offer .......
grab it :-)) You know I only talk sense :-))

Old 05-07-2006, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

I water vegetables daily, I'm delighted with the butts. And since our

water
is metered it also keeps down our bills, although that's not why we bought
the butts.

Mary

Our water is metered too :-))

After our overnight/early morning rain, our water butts are up again, with
the new one FULL! We now have the equivalent of 'about' 5 full butts, but
the rain has eased to a very fine drizzle.

:-(( would have had more had I not left a tap open :-((

Old 05-07-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

After our overnight/early morning rain, our water butts are up again, with
the new one FULL! We now have the equivalent of 'about' 5 full butts, but
the rain has eased to a very fine drizzle.

:-(( would have had more had I not left a tap open :-((

How can you do that?

Don't you close the tap when you remove whatever vessel you're filling?

Mary

Mike

Old 05-07-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

How can you do that?

Don't you close the tap when you remove whatever vessel you're filling?

Mary

Long story :-((
Do you want it?
My boo boo, but then I am prepared to admit it :-((

Mike (who is not perfect)

Old 05-07-2006, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message
news

How can you do that?

Don't you close the tap when you remove whatever vessel you're filling?

Long story :-((
Do you want it?

Yes, but to prevent flack you can mail it to me if you prefer.

Mary

Old 05-07-2006, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike

How can you do that?

Don't you close the tap when you remove whatever vessel you're filling?

Long story :-((
Do you want it?

Yes, but to prevent flack you can mail it to me if you prefer.

'flack'? That's the stuff others fling at you 'cos they are not as good as
you ;-))
Not my fault they are not up to my standard ;-))

Are you sitting comfortably? Then I will begin ;-)

Two water butts side by side. Numbers 1 and 2.
1 receives the water from the roof
2 is the overflow from 1

Water Butt number 3 turns up on the scene for the new Verandah. Not very
pretty :-((

Change 2 for 3 as 2 is in a not very often used Courtyard
2 has a lot of water in it. Use buckets and watering cans to empty 2 into
4,5,6,7,& 8 at back of garage :-))
The tap on 2 is quite high up :-( and soon runs dry, so tilt butt 2 on its
base. LEAVE TAP OPEN whilst this operation is going on to make butt 2 light
enough to move :-))
2 now light enough.
change 2 for 3
2 now spare :-))))

Next morning

Raining :-))

Butt 1 and 3 full.
Still raining
Verandah not ready.
Fix 2 to take overflow from 1 and 3 :-))

Water level gets to tap height!!!!!

and you know the rest ;-((

Mike

I do wish I was as perfect as 'some' on this newsgroup!!!

Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
cineman

from Severn Trent Water introduces Blackwall Water Butt Kits. A complete
rainsaver kit is available at only £34.95 including delivery (R.R.P £65.80).
Includes:

a.. 41 Gallon Water Butt (R.R.P. £29.95)
b.. Water Butt Stand (R.R.P. £12.95)
c.. Rain diverter (R.R.P. £9.95)
d.. Childsafe Lid (R.R.P. £12.95)
e.. Capacity: 190ltr
f.. Height: 124cm
g.. Diameter: 65cm
Also available:

100 Litre mini butt kit for £29.95 (R.R.P. £48.

regards

looks like Severn Trent are expensive ?

Cineman

Old 05-07-2006, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

pea_thrower writes

Why on earth don't the water companies supply butts at cost price. They
are forever bleating on about the amount of water we all waste - here's
a chance for them to reduce it and increase their own profits.

How would us reducing waste increase their profits?

Water rates are the same whatever. And if we are on a meter, their
profits are increased the more we waste.
--
Kay
Old 05-07-2006, 10:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
dave or stella @ stejonda

In message , cineman
writes
from Severn Trent Water introduces Blackwall Water Butt Kits. A
complete rainsaver kit is available at only £34.95 including delivery
(R.R.P £65.80).

looks like Severn Trent are expensive ?

same price as LB Bromley.

dave or stella @ stejonda