Old 11-09-2006, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP-Railway sleepers wanter- North West area

I want to build a raised flower bed in my garden using old railway
sleepers, does anyone know a reasonable supplier in the North West
preferably the Merseyside area.

Many Thanks.

Rick

Old 12-09-2006, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.railwaysleeper.com/

Old 12-09-2006, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Being organic should rule out using old railway sleepers, which are
saturated in nasty chemicals.

There's that indeed. Heard of a story by a friend whose friends had
bought lots of sleepers to reconstruct their dining room ceilling. They
were very 'on hand' people and did it themselves. I don't know where
they got the sleepers from, but wihin a few days they wondered what the
smell was. Yep ... those sleepers smelt of pooh.

Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Martin wrote:
Being organic should rule out using old railway sleepers, which are
saturated in nasty chemicals.

There's that indeed. Heard of a story by a friend whose friends had
bought lots of sleepers to reconstruct their dining room ceilling. They
were very 'on hand' people and did it themselves. I don't know where
they got the sleepers from, but wihin a few days they wondered what the
smell was. Yep ... those sleepers smelt of pooh.

I remember in the 50's and 60's a severe case of a serious illness in a
specific area, forgot what it was, and it was put down to the railway line
at the 'bottom of the gardens' and the toilets being flushed out. Remember
the signs? "Please do not flush the toilets whilst standing in a station"
Don't know what the trains are like now, not been on one for years, 20 or
even 30 years, but will be on one on Sunday when I go to a Service at
Westminster Abbey :-)) As President of the RAF Association I founded I have
had an invitation :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-09-2006, 12:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
and tar and creosote.

Not necessarily. I've built a new railway sleepers bed at the back of
my house. Got 2 sleepers, 7 quids each, untreated and new. Got them at
my local timber merchant, Moores on Upper Chorlton Road in Manchester.
If the OP fancy a ride from Merseyside, that's where I got mine. But
having them delivered is far easier )

http://cjoint.com/?jmnduMYMTl

Old 12-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by

Not northwest but they deliver anywhere http://www.railwaysleeper.com/
Old 12-09-2006, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Not to where I live, which is within spitting distance of Jenny.

You live in Rotterdam? But Rick, the OP, lives in Merseyside, hence the
Manchester connection.

Nobody seems to sell old or new railway sleepers anymore in this part
of the world. I think the local railways are using concrete and not
wood.

Shame. If I come around to see Jenny, and perhaps sooner than I think,
then I could carry a couple in my van for you ... )

Old 12-09-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
I can only spit at Jenny, not that I would, when there is a northerly
Force 12 gale blowing. I live fairly near the Keukenhof.

) Blow her a kiss for me then.

I'd prefer some boxes of Cahors :-)

Cahors?! Yurk - might as well buy wine in a plastic bottle. I'll bring
a 2001 Bordeaux Domaine de la Solitude. My goodness .... I can still
taste it ....

Old 12-09-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I can't. I have a policy to only buy stuff which has done no significant
damage to the environment.

Oh. Marry me!!!!