Old 12-09-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP-Railway sleepers wanter- North West area

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

I was investigating the demise of
British Industry at the time.

Thank you Maggie Thatcher :-(((

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 12-09-2006, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

I was investigating the demise of
British Industry at the time

Thank you Maggie Thatcher :-(((

That one should be in rec.politics, no?

It wasn't her fault.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
My wife said you might be able to bring something better. :-)

Pate; pruneaux; liqueurs .... what ? I always bring back a table cloth,
a basket, some aperitif, either suze or sauterne or lillet, some syrop
of grenadine, peach, mint; jams, usually from my uncle made out of
spanish mellon, figs and pruneaux (agen); and some vanilla pods,
capers, banania chocolate powder and petit beurre. One could easily
open a shop by just opening the boot of the car )

Old 13-09-2006, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/9/06 15:49, in article , "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

, I, Marvo, say :

snip Try the Chilean Montes Alpha range one day.

I can't. I have a policy to only buy stuff which has done no
significant damage to the environment. Chilean is far too far away
in terms of burning carbon.

And I won't shop in TESCO because they are scumbags (JMHO of which I
have evidence should anyone want it).

I'm with you on the air miles but I do like the wine.... OTOH, I
don't find it necessary to buy asparagus from Peru. We get our wine
from Majestic, among others.

The wine is good, but it's cheap, I'm sure that's the planet-destroying
reason for the imports. There is almost certainly a more local market for
it. And I am led to believe that the destruction of the tropical rain
forests is in no small part due to the demand for grape. One day, and very
soon I think with the climate we're experiencing, English wine will be more
than adeqate ...

TESCO sell baby corn and mange tout imported from somewhere in Africa,
Tanzania, I think. I had one once and was very, very ill with
staphyllococcal poisoning, really thought i was going to die.

If you really must buy it, wash it. In bleach. Or safer, boil it. Best not
to buy anything from them, actually, as they "pass on all the benefits to
their customers". That's why they made £2B profit last year, I expect. And
why all the local shops are now TESCO express and have pantechnicons
permanently parked outside them, mainly on zebra crossings and traffic
lights, and are otherwise roaring round housing estates looking for the
shop. Grrrrrrr.

Old 13-09-2006, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:46:08 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On 12/9/06 15:49, in article
, "Uncle
Marvo" wrote:

[...]

Did you mention that 40% of the goods traffic on UK roads is supplying
supermarkets?

No, but only because I didn't know :-)

I suspect that 40% of the non-goods traffic on UK roads is salesmen either
working for the supermarkets or selling to them, too.

I love cruising my boat up to Thrapston, there's a bridge over the river,
the A14 main trunk between the Midlands and the docks at Harwich. Seeing the
lorries trundling up and down, and seeing where they come from ...

Made in China/Hong Kong/Poland (mostly). What happened to so-and-so-bros of
ENGLAND, eh? Eh?

I buy /all/ my veg from Mr G Hone, fruiterer, of Farnham, Surrey who
guarantees that his produce comes from where it says it comes from, mainly
very local. If it isn't in season, I don't have it.

Luckily I don't like bananas :-)

And, not in a gardening vein, I buy 95% of my clothes from charity shops.
That way, I get them for next to nothing and someone else has already burnt
the carbon. Might as well make use of it!

Old 13-09-2006, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:38:49 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

Marvo" wrote:

[...]

You haven't read "Not on the Label".
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Label-Wh.../dp/0141015667

Read that and you will never eat anything you haven't grown yourself
again, including "organic food".

You don't know where I work, do you :-)

Old 13-09-2006, 11:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:06:11 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

[...]

You don't have to eat it, even if it provides your income. :-)

I was glad to see that rotten Dutch chickens are dumped in UK and not
locally :-)

I shall have a read of that book. But our products ALL contain what they say
on the tin[1]. And there's a heck of a lot of technology around making sure
that they /do/.

I'm not saying, but that poor boy's still pushing that bike up the cobbled
hill after 120 years!

[1] well, not /tin/, exactly ...

Old 13-09-2006, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 11:38:19 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

[...]

Most of it appeared in the Guardian first. Sometimes it is still
available in their archives and sometimes it isn't.

But our products ALL contain what they say
on the tin[1].

and more? :-)

No more, no less. I can tell you which farm it started on, the pesticide
declarations, variety, additives (if any), and all the stuff that goes in is
from farms near here.

I don't eat it myself, because I don't like it :-) But it is what it says it
is.

I make my own, or use partbake, because it keeps for ages without a freezer.
And I don't have a freezer, for reasons that are obvious to me.

Old 13-09-2006, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I make my own, or use partbake, because it keeps for ages without a freezer.
And I don't have a freezer, for reasons that are obvious to me.

A gorgeous friend of mine which we call SkipKate for obvious reasons,
has never owned a fridge. She made me a lovely salad with avocado,
raddishes, greens etc... plus desert and every single condiments came
from a skip )

Old 13-09-2006, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:05:43 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

[...]

Has it got soya flour in it like some homebake mixes have?

It has bread flour made from British wheat and nothing else. The enzymes
used to activate the yeast are measured in parts per million and actually do
NOT end up in the finished product. Sometimes Vitamin C is added (for
pregnant women, according to dictatorship guidelines) and when it is, it
says it is.

[flies firm's flag]

I make my own,

So do we, so far Lidl's homebake mix is best.

You and your LiDL!

or use partbake, because it keeps for ages without a freezer.
And I don't have a freezer, for reasons that are obvious to me.

You live in a narrowboat and a freezer would flatten your battery? :-)

Just haven't got room, what with all these goats ;-)

If you want to give up eating, read Felicity Lawrence's articles in
the Guardian.

http://browse.guardian.co.uk/search?...ity%20Lawrence

[reads Felicity aticles]

Old 13-09-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:32:16 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:13:30 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

[re bread and bread flour]

major snip
Has it got soya flour in it like some homebake mixes have?

It has bread flour made from British wheat and nothing else. The enzymes
used to activate the yeast are measured in parts per million and actually
do
NOT end up in the finished product. Sometimes Vitamin C is added (for
pregnant women, according to dictatorship guidelines) and when it is, it
says it is.

[flies firm's flag]

I make my own,

So do we, so far Lidl's homebake mix is best.

You and your LiDL!

German quality innit? Dutch, Belgian and UK home bake flour we have
bought have contained soya flour. Bread with soya flour makes poor
toast. Besides the stuff is GM.

I make all my own bread, and use Waitrose organic strong 100 percent
stoneground wholemeal. Makes yummy bread, and I am absolutely certain it
doesn't have any soya flour in it. The ingredients just say organic wheat
flour.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
bed and breakfast near Ludlow: