Old 01-10-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Emptying large paddling pools

Hi all,

I have been searching the web for an answer to this question but can't
find a definitive one anywhere.

We have one of those large inflatable paddling pools. It holds about
2000 gallons of water. It had been treated with chlorine and PH reducer
during the summer, but hasn't been treated now for a few weeks.

We want to empty it and pack it away for the winter, but we are not sure
what to do with the water. Do any of you have these pools and what do
you do with the water? Is it safe to gradually empty it onto the grass,
or over parts of the garden?

Thanks for any help.
--
Rgds
Colette
Old 01-10-2006, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Colette A. O'Brien wrote:
Hi all,

I have been searching the web for an answer to this question but can't
find a definitive one anywhere.

We have one of those large inflatable paddling pools. It holds about
2000 gallons of water. It had been treated with chlorine and PH
reducer during the summer, but hasn't been treated now for a few
weeks.
We want to empty it and pack it away for the winter, but we are not
sure what to do with the water. Do any of you have these pools and
what do you do with the water? Is it safe to gradually empty it onto
the grass, or over parts of the garden?

Thanks for any help.

Have you tried syphoning it into a drain? - so long as the bottom of the
pool is higher than the drain, it should empty within a few days.

Old 01-10-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colette A. O'Brien" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have been searching the web for an answer to this question but can't
find a definitive one anywhere.

We have one of those large inflatable paddling pools. It holds about 2000
gallons of water. It had been treated with chlorine and PH reducer during
the summer, but hasn't been treated now for a few weeks.

We want to empty it and pack it away for the winter, but we are not sure
what to do with the water. Do any of you have these pools and what do you
do with the water? Is it safe to gradually empty it onto the grass, or
over parts of the garden?

Chlorine or not, 2000 gallons in one go might be a bit much for your garden.
Can you not get the hosepipe and siphon it down the drain?

Steve

Old 02-10-2006, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message of Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Phil L writes
Have you tried syphoning it into a drain? - so long as the bottom of the
pool is higher than the drain, it should empty within a few days.

Any drains near the house lead to our septic tank which could not cope
with that amount of water.

The roadway is some distance away and I don't have any hose that would
reach the nearest roadway drain nor would it be practical.

I suppose my main concern is if the water could damage the plants in the
garden, if I decided to empty it bit by bit straight onto the lawn and
flower beds.

Thanks
Colette
--
Colette A. O'Brien

Old 02-10-2006, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 2 Oct 2006 19:14:14 +0100, "Colette A. O'Brien"
wrote and included this (or some of this):

Have you tried syphoning it into a drain? - so long as the bottom of the
pool is higher than the drain, it should empty within a few days.

Any drains near the house lead to our septic tank which could not cope
with that amount of water.

The roadway is some distance away and I don't have any hose that would
reach the nearest roadway drain nor would it be practical.

I suppose my main concern is if the water could damage the plants in the
garden, if I decided to empty it bit by bit straight onto the lawn and
flower beds.

I suspect that if you could immerse yourself in the pool without
topping yourself, you would not damage the surrounding environment by
gradually dispensing the water into the surrounding soil over a few
days. I would trickle it out quietly (but don't sue me, I am not a
hydrologist!)

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

..

Old 02-10-2006, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Colette A. O'Brien wrote:
In message of Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Phil L writes
Have you tried syphoning it into a drain? - so long as the bottom of
the pool is higher than the drain, it should empty within a few days.

Any drains near the house lead to our septic tank which could not cope
with that amount of water.

I assumed the water just went in and then overflowed out and soaked away
naturally? - it would take as much as this during a few days of moderate
rainfall.

The roadway is some distance away and I don't have any hose that would
reach the nearest roadway drain nor would it be practical.

I agree, hence the suggestion about house drains.

I suppose my main concern is if the water could damage the plants in
the garden, if I decided to empty it bit by bit straight onto the
lawn and flower beds.

You'd be doing juist this if it went through the septic tank too, except it
would be a bit further from the garden....FWIW chlorine evaporates fairly
quickly, which is why swimming pools have to have it added daily.

you only have 2 realistic options:
1) let it run onto the garden.
2) let it run onto some other patch of land, after it's been through your
septic tank.

Old 03-10-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In message of Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Phil L writes
Have you tried syphoning it into a drain? - so long as the bottom of the
pool is higher than the drain, it should empty within a few days.

Any drains near the house lead to our septic tank which could not cope
with that amount of water.

The roadway is some distance away and I don't have any hose that would
reach the nearest roadway drain nor would it be practical.

I suppose my main concern is if the water could damage the plants in the
garden, if I decided to empty it bit by bit straight onto the lawn and
flower beds.

Thanks
Colette

I doubt if all your drains go to your septic tank. Septic tanks aren't
usually intended to take rainwater. You probably have a soakaway
somewhere that takes rainwater from the house roof etc., so find a
convenient downpipe from the roof and its associated drain and siphon
into that. Or find the soakaway and siphon into it directly.

--
Chris

Old 04-10-2006, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ive just emptied mine a couple of weeks ago - nearly 5000 gallons
worth! The chlorine level was higher than normal and I just let the
whole lot go gradually over the lawn and garden with no ill effects.
In the way that got most of the water were corduline and gladiolas -
nothings died and the grass looks greener!

Old 04-10-2006, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

2000 gallons, 9000l, 9m^3. Decent lawn size of 10 x 20m gives just an
equivalent of 4.5cm or 1 3/4" of rain. Nothing over a few hours or few
releases over a day or two. A lot would depends on how well drained the
garden is, a clay subsoil close to the surface could present a problem
but sand or gravel not.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 06-10-2006, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message of Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Dave Liquorice writes
2000 gallons, 9000l, 9m^3. Decent lawn size of 10 x 20m gives just an
equivalent of 4.5cm or 1 3/4" of rain. Nothing over a few hours or few
releases over a day or two. A lot would depends on how well drained the
garden is, a clay subsoil close to the surface could present a problem
but sand or gravel not.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm leaning heavily towards the
letting-it-all-out-on-the-grass idea. We definitely don't have clay
soil, and I would say the soil is free-draining.

The only trouble is that the whole back garden slopes towards the house,
but hopefully, it'll be OK if I let it out a bit at a time.

Regards
Colette
--
Colette A. O'Brien

Old 06-10-2006, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message of Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Chris Hogg writes
I doubt if all your drains go to your septic tank. Septic tanks aren't
usually intended to take rainwater. You probably have a soakaway
somewhere that takes rainwater from the house roof etc., so find a
convenient downpipe from the roof and its associated drain and siphon
into that. Or find the soakaway and siphon into it directly.

I see, I assumed all drains went into the tank. I have no idea where the
rainwater from the roof goes.

I know our whole septic tank / soakaway system is not working properly
any more. The tank needs to be emptied twice a year which I know isn't
right, and also there is a problem with the drains nearer the house, I
think the pipes have sunk a bit and so things aren't moving along
properly. The tank does seem to fill up more quickly after a week or two
of heavy rain.

I wish we had mains drainage!

Regards
Colette
--
Colette A. O'Brien

Old 06-10-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The houses adjacent to my allotment are about to get mains drainage. Wessex
Water are apparently going to nick a 3 metre strip off the edge of my plot
to facilitate this :-((

You don't live in Longham by any chance?

Steve

Old 06-10-2006, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Colette A. O'Brien" wrote in message
news
In message of Wed, 4 Oct 2006, Dave Liquorice writes
2000 gallons, 9000l, 9m^3. Decent lawn size of 10 x 20m gives just an
equivalent of 4.5cm or 1 3/4" of rain. Nothing over a few hours or few
releases over a day or two. A lot would depends on how well drained the
garden is, a clay subsoil close to the surface could present a problem
but sand or gravel not.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm leaning heavily towards the
letting-it-all-out-on-the-grass idea. We definitely don't have clay soil,
and I would say the soil is free-draining.

The only trouble is that the whole back garden slopes towards the house,
but hopefully, it'll be OK if I let it out a bit at a time.

You could always give the kids a bucket each and tell them to empty it. It's
there for their benefit after all. It's not too soon to threaten them that
Santa won't come is it?

Steve

Old 06-10-2006, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message of Fri, 6 Oct 2006, shazzbat writes
You could always give the kids a bucket each and tell them to empty it. It's
there for their benefit after all. It's not too soon to threaten them that
Santa won't come is it?

Two of them are no longer believers, but they can help that's for sure,
we can start this weekend.

Rgds
Colette
--
Colette A. O'Brien

Large Tree - not so large pot? john United Kingdom 8 01-08-2005 08:11 PM
Collected large yews and large maple Mark Planter Bonsai 1 06-04-2005 06:21 PM
emptying a pond?... highe5 Ponds 11 07-03-2004 09:51 PM
'Server problem' gone with emptying and restoring messages Phyllis and Jim Hurley Ponds 0 26-08-2003 05:04 AM
Are Children's Pools Fish Safe? Edward Fisher Ponds 2 18-04-2003 01:56 PM