Old 17-10-2006, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mushrooms

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
K wrote:

Sacha writes
On 15/10/06 19:51, in article , "K"
wrote:

Sacha writes

Hmmm. Well, without having tried it out myself, I do know that the
nasty
ones are seriously nasty so I'd be very cautious indeed. An old folk
'remedy' used to be to put a silver sixpence into the pan when cooking
the
fungi. If the sixpenny piece went black it's said the fungi were
poisonous. I don't think I'd trust that either, even assuming one
could
find a silver sixpence now!

That definitely is not to be trusted, neither is the one that says 'if
you can peel it, it's edible, or the one that says 'all poisonous ones
have got red on them'.

I never have believed the last one but I'm glad to have the first
discounted
for safety's sake. I love eating fungi and would so much like to be sure
of identifying them but simply dare not risk it.

I've seen a list of about a dozen of good edible fungi which are
distinct from any poisonous species (common field mushroom was not among
them) - list included lawyers wig, giant puffball, cep IIRC. So it's
worth finding out more because there is the opportunity to experiment
without unacceptable risk.

I really think that the fear of fungi isn't very rational. I quite often
take a nibble of some wild plant that I know to be edible. Like all wild
plants and fungi there are some that are easy to know. What if you were to
substitute umbellifer in the discussion for fungi?

There are many poisonous umbelifers such as hemlock but carrot, fennel and
parsnip commonly grow wild and are very very distinctive.

We can agree that most mushrooms are harmless and most higher plants
(including most Umbellifers) are too.
The dangerous ones are VERY dangerous though (e.g. Oenanthe/water dropwort
is frequently lethal with umbellifers and 2 or 3 Amanitas with fungi are
quite lethal) and you would be nuts to eat something without being sure what
it was. Oenenthe has been documented as being mnistaken for water parsnip or
celery. I have eaten wild plants and fungi and they do not scare me in
general but I would only touch something on a one off basis of eating a
particular species. The fear is perfectly rational; it makes you careful.
One mistake and .............
It does not stop me picking mushrooms.

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Old 17-10-2006, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Old 17-10-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
snip lots of good info
--
Emery Davis

Thanks - I have saved your postings for future reference.

David.

Old 17-10-2006, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 14:33, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-10-2006, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"David in Normandy" wrote:
Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

Boletus to that!

I think he blewit, there.

--
Sue

Old 17-10-2006, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:16:36 +0100, Sacha wrote
and included this (or some of this):

On 17/10/06 14:33, in article ,
"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 17-10-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

David.

Old 17-10-2006, 05:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:56:15 +0200, "David in Normandy"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

.. .

"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

If you go down to the woods today
you're sure of a big surprise?

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³
Old 17-10-2006, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

David.

I haven't a clou what you're talking about!

Old 17-10-2006, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 17:56:15 +0200, "David in Normandy"
wrote and included this (or some of
this):

. ..

"David in Normandy" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

If you go down to the woods today
you're sure of a big surprise?

Especially if you enter a fairy ring - you may get one in the bracket!

These puns are mushrooming out of control. Perhaps I should button mushroom
it.

David.

Old 17-10-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha writes:

| If you go down to the woods today
| you're sure of a big surprise?
|
| They all say that.

My mother told me that I never, never should ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-10-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote
"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message
wrote and included this
"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote
"David in Normandy" wrote:
Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there
isn't mushroom!

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

If you go down to the woods today
you're sure of a big surprise?

Especially if you enter a fairy ring - you may get one in the bracket!

These puns are mushrooming out of control. Perhaps I should button
mushroom it.

Don't worry, I'm sure no-one will take excepstion.

--
Sue

Old 17-10-2006, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/10/06 17:59, in article , "Nick
Maclaren" wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes:

| If you go down to the woods today
| you're sure of a big surprise?
|
| They all say that.

My mother told me that I never, never should ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

No but I bet you did!