Old 17-10-2006, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mushrooms

On 17/10/06 18:09, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote
"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote in message
wrote and included this
"®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³" wrote
On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 15:16:36 +0100, Sacha wrote
"David in Normandy" wrote:
Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there
isn't mushroom!

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

If you go down to the woods today
you're sure of a big surprise?

Especially if you enter a fairy ring - you may get one in the bracket!

These puns are mushrooming out of control. Perhaps I should button
mushroom it.

Don't worry, I'm sure no-one will take excepstion.

Certainly not to that old Chestnut.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-10-2006, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/10/06 18:09, in article
ws.net, "Sue"
wrote:

"David in Normandy" wrote:
Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there
isn't mushroom!

Boletus to that!

Cinderella, you shall go to the puff-ball!

Are you trying to spore points?

I wouldn't truffle with Sacha!

If you go down to the woods today
you're sure of a big surprise?

Especially if you enter a fairy ring - you may get one in the bracket!

These puns are mushrooming out of control. Perhaps I should button
mushroom it.

Don't worry, I'm sure no-one will take excepstion.

Certainly not to that old Chestnut.

Why aren't mushrooms very knowledgeable?
Because they're kept in the dark and fed bull ****

Why didn't the boy mushroom like his girlfriend?
Because she's a-man-ita.

David - I'm off now to sit on my toadstool in my-cel-ium.

Old 17-10-2006, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Uncle Marvo writes
.com, I, Marvo, say :

I have another question please - there are many mushroooma growning in
my garden where I took away trees - can I eat these also under the
hedges there are different ones which look like big shop white ones,
they do not have the look of poison, how can I tell if they are safe
to eat

IIRC there are two deadly poisonous mushroom species native to the UK and
they both look extremely unappetising. One is a death cap and I can't
remember the name of the other.

According to Roger Phillips, the following have all caused deaths:

Amanita phalloides (Death cap)
A virosa (uncommon)
A pantherina (uncommon)
Inocybe patouillardii
Cortinarius speciosissimus
Gyromitra esculenta can be deadly in quantity or not well prepared

Entoloma siuatum (rare)
Paxillus involutus
Amanita muscaria

--
Kay
Old 17-10-2006, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message

"Sacha" wrote in message
(Why did the mushroom get invited to the party? .... Because he is a
fun-guy. Feel free to cringe - I got it off a Christmas cracker!)

Not Christmas already!!
Sacha

The joke was so bad I remembered it from last year!

Why can't I squeeze any good jokes into my brain? Because there isn't
mushroom!

David.

It sounds as if the reason why you can't squeeze any good jokes into your
brain is because it's stuffed with bad ones ;o)

Gil M

Old 18-10-2006, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Uncle Marvo writes
, I, Marvo, say
:
[...]

Best not to eat them then :-)

I have a big clump (if that's the word) of mushrooms at the boat today, I
was going to take a picture but forgot so will do so tonight. They're
blackish, pointy and look rather appetising. But I've lent out my mushroom
book so I guess by the time I get it back they'll be gone.

Old 18-10-2006, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in
:

Even yesterday, while mowing the lawn, my good lady pointed out what
was probably on ordinary white mushroom - but again without the
knowledge to make a full and confident identification we didn't pick
it. For all I know there are white mushrooms that look like edible
mushrooms but are deadly poisonous! High time I learned to identify
them!

Yes, there are. Some will just make your make you violently
ill for a day. Some will kill you after 4 days.

There are two rules of thumb for telling poisonous
fungus from edible fungus:
1) all old-wives tales/techniques are dangerously faulty
2) there are no rules of thumb

Go on a fungus hunting course, and get good books. There's no
practical substitute.