Old 16-10-2006, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sedum

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
Pity you weren't here or I could send you hundreds of Echivarias (sp?)
that I've dug out and which are ready to go off to the tip.

People pay a fortune for those in garden centres here!

--
Sue

Old 16-10-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was difficult to
get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.
Is this true?
I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on their
garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I was going to
put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the sides a bit, fill it with
compost and plant sedum and maybe some alpines etc, in a Norwegian stylee.
You can't walk on the roof, it's asbestos or similar, so I can't be weeding
it either. I understand that I can put chicken wire over the top which stops
certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that would be ugly in the
extreme.
Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very welcome.

Hullo Uncle. I'm sending you this link to start with - so that you can
also consider a grass roof which would be ideal as the maintenance is
pretty minimal. And it happens to be a project we are still
considering, not the roof but the house, a segal house (instead of a
boat possibly) ...

http://www.segalselfbuild.co.uk/arti...gagreenro.html

And this evening I'll post you some details of the different layers my
mate used for the green roof she made at Reddish Vale, on top of two
shipping containers brought together. She used lots of sempervivens, in
its second year and looks marvelous.

Old 16-10-2006, 02:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

On 16/10/06 14:19, in article
, "Martin"
wrote:

On 16 Oct 2006 06:08:45 -0700, "La Puce" wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Did I miss the bit about the potential for the roof to collapse under
the weight when it is waterlogged?

Or how to cut the grass when it has grown?

That's the bit that worried me. I believe that's why sedum or similar are
used, cos you don't need to. I expect there's a way to stop grass growing.
The best way I have found is to *want* it to grow ...

Old 16-10-2006, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Old 16-10-2006, 02:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:28:04 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

or how to get the sheep up there?
--

Martin

A pair of geese on occasional loan, perhaps ?

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

,

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Pigs is good-might fly

Old 16-10-2006, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:26:55 +0100, "Uncle Marvo"

, I, Marvo, say :

On 16/10/06 14:19, in article
, "Martin"

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

The roof caves in first?

The best way I have found is to *want* it to grow ...

I'd be more worried about putting a heavy weight on an asbestos roof,
for the same reason that you can't walk on it.
--

Martin

If the corrugations run down the slope i.e. across the short span
then there's no saying that he couldn't walk on it.

Although there's only one sure fire way to find out.

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

But in any case that's no comparison.

With a person all their weight is concentrated on their footprint.
So each footprint weighs, say 5 stone. That's the point of maximum
stress which would cause the structure to fail. Its doubtful if a
footprint of soil up to the depth of a foot would even weigh two pounds,
one 35th as much. And so the stress will be evenly distributed across
the entire structure.

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 02:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Ah. I think I understand ...

Old 16-10-2006, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Er, you clip their wings same as with a lot of domestic poultry.
Otherwise all your fancy ducks would have upped and left long
ago.

http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk/pictures/wingclip.html

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:

Did I miss the bit about the potential for the roof to collapse under
the weight when it is waterlogged?

You can remedy the waterlogged problem. You need drainage - and water
could be channel and collected. The roof's on a slant too. Ideal!

Old 16-10-2006, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

Goats would do it....

Old 16-10-2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 16 Oct 2006 16:12:14 +0100, Sacha wrote
and included this (or some of this):

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]

I was in a Majorcan villa a few years back and some goats
(I think they were) got upon to the roof over the bedroom and started
Flatley dancing or line-dancing in the middle of the night.

Startled? Who, moi? My nightshirt went up my back like a
roller-blind.

--
®óñ© © ² * ¹°°³

Old 16-10-2006, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
Maybe Pouce is a lonely goat herd?

?

Old 16-10-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote:
In my case the roof is already there and is not on a slant. Ideas of
drainage and the roof fall down when after heavy rain the whole lot
freezes and there is a heavy snow fall. It happens to supermarkets, so
why not my kitchen roof? You can't just stick a grass/vegetation
covering on a roof not designed to bear the weight

) But I'm talking to Uncle and it's about Uncle's roof I'm thinking
about. Not yours.

Sedum Matting Richard Edwards United Kingdom 7 09-04-2009 07:57 PM
Sedum? Now??? HA HA Budys Here Gardening 3 02-01-2004 03:02 AM
Sedum morganianum Tom Jaszewski Gardening 2 30-03-2003 11:56 PM
Creeping Sedum Peggy Elliott Gardening 4 27-03-2003 03:20 AM
disturbing sedum Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 11:29 AM