Old 16-10-2006, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sedum

I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was difficult to
get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.

Is this true?

I have told someone that I would kindly build them a green roof on their
garage, idiot that I be. I haven't a clue what I'm doing, but I was going to
put a rubbery membrane on it, build round the sides a bit, fill it with
compost and plant sedum and maybe some alpines etc, in a Norwegian stylee.

You can't walk on the roof, it's asbestos or similar, so I can't be weeding
it either. I understand that I can put chicken wire over the top which stops
certain wildlife eating the roof, but I think that would be ugly in the
extreme.

Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very welcome.

Thank you

Clueless Unc

Old 16-10-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
[...]

I think your problem will be the weight loading,particularly on something
like an old and brittle substructure.
These people tell you more about how it should be done and loadings.
http://www.enviromat.co.uk/pages/app...sanddesign.htm

Old 16-10-2006, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

I see that. 42kg/sq.m. is heavy. I was envisaging something much, much
lighter,by using a much thinner layer of compost. Perhaps sedum isn't the
right thing. I know things like alpines (the ones I used to use in the pond
system) are incredibly light though.

The supports are 6x4 at the moment which should easily take that, but I may
consider re-roofing if I can get someone to de-asbestos it cheaply enough -
you need a special licence now to do it.

Old 16-10-2006, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Excellent idea to de-asbestos. You do not need a licence to DIY on your own
property. It is a simple process and there are many web sites that give
exact instructions how to do it.
Most local councils have a section on asbestos removal and where to take it.
I am just about to remove a roof from my niece's garage following the rules
of Bradford Council. Safety masks etc and polythene sheet will cost about
£100. If you follow the standard procedure and assume that the asbestos is
the nastiest form then you will do as good a job as the professional firms
who do have to be licensed and controlled.

Old 16-10-2006, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very

welcome.

There was an article on both sedums and plant roofs in one of the
British gardening magazines within the last couple of months (we get
then about 2 months late in Australia - so say about 4-5 months ago).
(At least I hope it was so and not me just rereading my old British
mags as I do every year).

Anyway, I;ll have a lok and see if I can find the articles. I get
"Gardens Illustrated" and "The English Garden".

Pity you weren't here or I could send you hundreds of Echivarias (sp?)
that I've dug out and which are ready to go off to the tip.

Old 16-10-2006, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The basic pricinple and method of Sedum roofs is described on here
plus a list of suitable plants at the end -

http://www.organicgardening.org.uk/factsheets/gg38.php

You're not actually restricted to sedums. Housleeks are another
possibility as they're hardy succulents as well. Sempervivium tectorum
and sempervivum arachnoideum etc.

A supplier of at least three sedum species plus houseleeks and
other suitable alpines might be

http://www.plantsbypost.co.uk/list.asp?CAT=10

However -

Alpines are o.k providing they have good drainage in winter.
Presumably for this, the roof needs to be sloping and not flat.
A completely flat roof would present problems I imagine.
The above site while not actually mentioning this point
lays great emphasis on having a drainage layer.

michael adams

Thank you

Clueless Unc

Old 16-10-2006, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

It slopes very much, which is an advantage for drainage but a disadvantage
for keeping the stuff where you wanted it. I am considering wire, like
chicken wire, to let the roots grab hold of something.

Thanks for that info.

Old 16-10-2006, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Excellent idea to de-asbestos. You do not need a licence to DIY on
your own property. It is a simple process and there are many web
sites that give exact instructions how to do it.
Most local councils have a section on asbestos removal and where to
take it. I am just about to remove a roof from my niece's garage
following the rules of Bradford Council. Safety masks etc and
polythene sheet will cost about £100. If you follow the standard
procedure and assume that the asbestos is the nastiest form then you
will do as good a job as the professional firms who do have to be
licensed and controlled.

That's very handy advice. I have masks etc at work which I can borrow.

I'm perusing the instructions ...

Thanks a lot for that info.

Old 16-10-2006, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Excellent idea to de-asbestos. You do not need a licence to DIY on
your own property. It is a simple process and there are many web
sites that give exact instructions how to do it.
Most local councils have a section on asbestos removal and where to
take it. I am just about to remove a roof from my niece's garage
following the rules of Bradford Council. Safety masks etc and
polythene sheet will cost about £100. If you follow the standard
procedure and assume that the asbestos is the nastiest form then you
will do as good a job as the professional firms who do have to be
licensed and controlled.

That's very handy advice. I have masks etc at work which I can borrow.

I'm perusing the instructions ...

Thanks a lot for that info.

Glad you find the info useful. The masks and protectives are all detailed on
most council websites. Use disposable everything including masks and dump
the lot in sealed bags at the end of the job. What I mean is do not use just
any mask and particularly not ones borrowed from work where someone else
will subsequently use the same mask.

Old 16-10-2006, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
this in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

When I say "borrow" ....I will check what we have, I am pretty sure we have
the right stuff :-)

We buy it in BIG quantities so they can knock it off the wages.

Thanks again

Old 16-10-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

Excellent idea to de-asbestos. You do not need a licence to DIY on
your own property. It is a simple process and there are many web
sites that give exact instructions how to do it.
Most local councils have a section on asbestos removal and where to
take it. I am just about to remove a roof from my niece's garage
following the rules of Bradford Council. Safety masks etc and
polythene sheet will cost about £100. If you follow the standard
procedure and assume that the asbestos is the nastiest form then you
will do as good a job as the professional firms who do have to be
licensed and controlled.

That's very handy advice. I have masks etc at work which I can borrow.

I'm perusing the instructions ...

Thanks a lot for that info.

Er, what if anything, is underneath the asbestos ?

Might you not end up, having to put an entirely new roof on ?

Moulded asbestos sheet, at least the stuff with strengthening ridges
moulded into it, as with corrugated asbestos is often self supporting
I believe.

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

[...]

There is nothing underneath. It is corrugated. But I wouldn't walk on it, it
doesn't look like it will support my weight.

Old 16-10-2006, 12:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Uncle Marvo" wrote:

Any ideas/tips/pointers/books/articles on the subject would be very welcome.

Planting Green Roofs and Living Walls
by Nigel Dunnett, Noel Kingsbury
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Planting-Gre.../dp/088192640X

Green Roof Plants: A Resource and Planting Guide
by Edmund C. Snodgrass, Lucie L. Snodgrass
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Green-Roof-P.../dp/0881927872

Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Roofs-Ec...ction/dp/07643
21897

Should get you started.

I heard something on GQT on R4 on Sunday saying that sedum was
difficult to get, and all you got nowadays was some inferior variety.

This sounds badly scrambled. There are almost 300 sedum cultivars listed
in the RHS Plant finder. I would guess a lot of them are good for
green roofs. Which of them are best for the purpose, the books might
say.

Reginald Farrer (always good for a laugh...) was delightful on the genus.
"Sedum - This vast race as a whole, is curiously uninteresting: as is
felt even by catalogues, that do their best, yet cant say much, and take
refuge in an inextricable welter of synonyms and pseudonyms. Nearly all
Sedums are of easy culture in open poor places often far too easy of
cultivation, and yet more deplorably easy of propagation. The race is
far too large and dim for us here minutely to discriminate."
Not a promising start but he goes on to describe over sixteen pages
nearly 200 species in cultivation at the time (1919).
quoted from http://northants.bcss.org.uk/nl161/nl161odds.htm

You could always try the sedum society...
http://www.cactus-cacti.com/sedum/index.html
Old 16-10-2006, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Sorry you've already mentioned possibly re-roofing it which I'd missed.

So presumably the corrugations run down the slope ?

And as this asbestos roof is already waterproof presumably, why were you
thinking of using an expensive rubber membrane ? And in any case, in the
absence of UV light, being buried under soil, any old plastic sheeting
would suffice if a waterproof barrier was all that was required.

Is this roof an inverted V or a sloping flat roof ?

michael adams

Old 16-10-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message
, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in
message ...
this in , I, Marvo, say :

[...]

Sloping flat. It isn't waterproof because the bolt used to put it onto the
bearers leak. To seal them means taking them out and resealing which is a
nightmare. Hence the membrane which doesn't have to be too thick.
Alternatively I could put some corrugated plastic on top if it was the same
"pitch".

Sedum Matting Richard Edwards United Kingdom 7 09-04-2009 07:57 PM
Sedum? Now??? HA HA Budys Here Gardening 3 02-01-2004 03:02 AM
Sedum morganianum Tom Jaszewski Gardening 2 30-03-2003 11:56 PM
Creeping Sedum Peggy Elliott Gardening 4 27-03-2003 03:20 AM
disturbing sedum Sue Chamberlain United Kingdom 3 22-03-2003 11:29 AM