Old 20-10-2006, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hope springs eternal..............

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
We've had 6 years of continuous drought where 30 year old trees have
tried to die but been resurrected by 3 days of watering. Last year
the grasshoppers ate just about everything in the garden including
stripping the leaves totally off 2 apples.

Now I've just had a killer of a frost as I've just been thinking it's
time to plant the tomatoes. Thank heavens I stick to the maxim of
neverplant till I know who won the Melbourne Cup.

The frost killed all the new growth on my buddlia (sp?), has knocked
new growth on the roses, has done for all the new leaves and grapes on
at least 100 of the grape vines and killed all the flowers on most of
my Irises.

Sodding weather. 3 days ago it was aircon in the car because it was
so hot (over 30C) and last night it was back to fires and the winter
duvets. Sometimes I wonder why I bother.

September for us saw me in shorts, dry and sunny. October has been cold
winds from the south, rain and dull skies.

rob

Old 22-10-2006, 07:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Never thought of Australia as having frost - ever!
Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, Farm1
writes
We've had 6 years of continuous drought where 30 year old trees have
tried to die but been resurrected by 3 days of watering. Last year the
grasshoppers ate just about everything in the garden including
stripping the leaves totally off 2 apples.

I've heard about the dire effect on the Australian wheat harvest, etc.
So worrying.

Maybe this is a silly question, but does 6 years of drought mean 6 years
unbroken sunshine and few if any clouds - or are the clouds up there,
the rain just doesn't come down? (I guess I'm trying to get a picture of
drought in terms of how it works globally, now that there is drought in
so many parts of the world.)

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 22-10-2006, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

[...]

They even have ski resorts. I may be mistaken, but I think the skiing is
more reliable than in Scotland.

Even Queensland has frost.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-10-2006, 10:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
In message ,
Farm1 writes
We've had 6 years of continuous drought where 30 year old trees have tried
to die but been resurrected by 3 days of watering. Last year the
grasshoppers ate just about everything in the garden including stripping
the leaves totally off 2 apples.

I've heard about the dire effect on the Australian wheat harvest, etc. So
worrying.

Maybe this is a silly question, but does 6 years of drought mean 6 years
unbroken sunshine and few if any clouds - or are the clouds up there, the
rain just doesn't come down? (I guess I'm trying to get a picture of
drought in terms of how it works globally, now that there is drought in so
many parts of the world.)
Klara, Gatwick basin

Interesting question Klara !
That's one of the things i love about the web..........it sets one of on all
sorts of quests that you'd maybe not think of on your own:~)

Went a googling and found these:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/livedrought.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/le...hc/drought.htm

Al Gore's film might also be of interest (on a wider scale)....
http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Jenny

Old 22-10-2006, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:33:46 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

"Klara" wrote in message
In message
,
Farm1 writes
[...]

When we were in South Australia and Victoria in February-March 2005
not only was there cloud, but it rained hard several times too.
Melbourne seems to have colder climate than Adelaide and elsewhere.
Flying over Australia the first cloud we encountered was around
Melbourne.
--

Martin

We were in Darwin in February and it was hot. HOT hot, but you could see by
the lush vegetation that they do have rain and by the boardwalks in the
Forest and the way the scrub was 'swept' one way, they had a lot of rain
complete with floods and fast flowing water.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 22-10-2006, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
Farm1 writes
We've had 6 years of continuous drought where 30 year old trees

have
tried to die but been resurrected by 3 days of watering. Last year

the
grasshoppers ate just about everything in the garden including
stripping the leaves totally off 2 apples.

I've heard about the dire effect on the Australian wheat harvest,

etc.
So worrying.

Yes. A third of this years wheat crop has already been written off
and food prices are rising. About 3 years ago my favourite breakfast
cereal hit $8/ pkt (3.22 UK pounds) so I hate to think what it will be
this year. Our Federal Government (which like the US, has refused to
sign the Kyoto Agreement) has very suddenly begun to do an about face
on climate change. They have finally realised that it is country
people who run businesses or farm who are hurting badly and with an
election less than a year away they are obviously getting a wee bit
nervous as this is their main voter block.

Maybe this is a silly question, but does 6 years of drought mean 6

years
unbroken sunshine and few if any clouds - or are the clouds up

there,
the rain just doesn't come down? (I guess I'm trying to get a

picture of
drought in terms of how it works globally, now that there is drought

in
so many parts of the world.)

We never have a lot of clouds where I live and rarely get a day or
more of rain, (or even overcast) just showers but even those have been
rare of late. Some months there is no rainfall at all and most months
with lower than average rainfall.

We own one farm which we bought specifically to drought proof
ourselves. It got about 50 inches of rain a year when we bought it
about 14 years ago but that would be under 30 inches now. It is
right on the edge of a coastal escarpment which is the type of
location I knew from my childhood and this location usually means good
rain as any clouds rolling in fromt eh sea usuallyd rop some rain as
they come inland. The troubleis that most clouds are now coming
across the Continent from the west it seems nad then swinging south
before they hit the more productive land in the SE of Aus.

Old 22-10-2006, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes
[...]

More skiable snow than Switzerland in fact.

Even Queensland has frost.

Parts of it.

Old 22-10-2006, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Melbourne seems to have colder climate than Adelaide and elsewhere.

Melbourne is famous for being a place where you can have 4 seasons in
the one day. Sod of a climate IMHO. But I would think that both
Canberra and Hobart would be colder.

Old 22-10-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
Interesting question Klara !
That's one of the things i love about the web..........it sets one

of on all
sorts of quests that you'd maybe not think of on your own:~)

A kindred spirit :-)) I love the Internet.

Went a googling and found these:
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/livedrought.shtml
http://www.bom.gov.au/lam/climate/le...hc/drought.htm

Alas, nothing on our present problems in those cites.

Al Gore's film might also be of interest (on a wider scale)....
http://www.climatecrisis.net/

Interesting you should mention that..... I went to see "The Devil
Wears Prada" t'other day and I kept thinking that I'd rather have gone
to see "An Inconvenient Truth" which was on at the same complex.

Old 22-10-2006, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Melbourne seems to have colder climate than Adelaide and

elsewhere.

Melbourne is famous for being a place where you can have 4 seasons

in
the one day. Sod of a climate IMHO. But I would think that both
Canberra and Hobart would be colder.

Yes I meant to write "elsewhere in Victoria and South Australia.

:-)) From that comment, I take it you didn't go to any of the
Victorian ski resorts? Sodding cold places which make poor old
Melbourne look positively balmy. But yes, it would be colder than SA.
Did you get a chance to see any good gardens when you were in either
Melbourne or Adelaide? Both have some lovely gardens.

Old 22-10-2006, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
We own one farm which we bought specifically to drought proof
ourselves. It got about 50 inches of rain a year when we bought it
about 14 years ago but that would be under 30 inches now. It is
right on the edge of a coastal escarpment which is the type of
location I knew from my childhood and this location usually means good
rain as any clouds rolling in fromt eh sea usuallyd rop some rain as
they come inland. The troubleis that most clouds are now coming
across the Continent from the west it seems nad then swinging south
before they hit the more productive land in the SE of Aus.

What do you farm ?
Cattle, kangaroos ?
Pictures ??
Jenny :~)

Old 22-10-2006, 07:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , JennyC
writes

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote
We own one farm which we bought specifically to drought proof
ourselves. It got about 50 inches of rain a year when we bought it
about 14 years ago but that would be under 30 inches now. It is
right on the edge of a coastal escarpment which is the type of
location I knew from my childhood and this location usually means good
rain as any clouds rolling in fromt eh sea usuallyd rop some rain as
they come inland. The troubleis that most clouds are now coming
across the Continent from the west it seems nad then swinging south
before they hit the more productive land in the SE of Aus.

What do you farm ?
Cattle, kangaroos ?
Pictures ??
Jenny :~)

That's exactly what I was going to ask!

It doesn't sound, then, that there are any clouds to seed, or whatever
they may come up with for breaking a drought :-((

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 23-10-2006, 04:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote:

Did you get a chance to see any good gardens when you were in

either
Melbourne or Adelaide? Both have some lovely gardens.

We spent most of our at time sorting out my father's problems and on
the beach, when not driving from Melbourne to Adelaide and back the
pretty way. We hadn't been in Oz since 1984 in the meantime dense
traffic has been invented :-)

:-)) I hate traffic - a good reason for living in the country. By
the 'pretty way' do you mean the Great Ocean Rd?