Old 17-11-2006, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new boy, no understand?

"JennyC" wrote in message

"George.com" wrote in message

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
What gives here? I joined this group in the hope of expanding my
knowledge
of gardening having taken on a large (about an acre) once grand, now
overgrown town garden. I am now wondering whether to stay for fear of

attack
from some members of this group. In a few days of membership I have been
reading more bitching and hate on this NG than I can recall ever reading
elsewhere.

Is it always like this?
Is it worth hanging around for the garden talk to start?
Is there a real gardening NG somewhere?
Will I attract the abuse now?

Mike

I came several months ago Mike as an outsider and have picked up some
good
ideas and encouragement. I guess you learn to pick and choose the threads
that interest you buts its worth staying on. As for other sites
rec.gardens,
rec.gardens.edible, aus.gardens I also find useful.
rob

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about racoons in
the corn...........:~))

We sometimes get that here from a few who do not understnd that this is a
british based newsgroup!

Alan

Jenny

Old 17-11-2006, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Rogers wrote
What gives here? I joined this group in the hope of expanding my knowledge
of gardening having taken on a large (about an acre) once grand, now
overgrown town garden. I am now wondering whether to stay for fear of
attack from some members of this group. In a few days of membership I have
been reading more bitching and hate on this NG than I can recall ever
reading elsewhere.

Is it always like this?

Lately it seems to be, but before some arrived it was fine. I suspect they
are simply trolls trying to do what all vandals do, destroy good things
because they can't do anything worthwhile themselves. Rather sad really.

Is it worth hanging around for the garden talk to start?

It's still here if you ignore the crap, just that some some very
knowleagable gardeners, including professionals, have left due mainly to
Helene (Puce) and the way she has treated other long time regulars here who
had the audacity to corrcet some of the advice she gave.

Is there a real gardening NG somewhere?

This used to be the real deal. I hope it will return to the old URG soon but
in the meantime just ignore the rubbish like me and keep posting.

Will I attract the abuse now?

I doubt it, however, I might. :-)

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 17-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Registered User

Location: South Oxfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about racoons in the
corn...........:~))
Jenny
Heavens, if I saw a racoon in my garden I'd scream like a complete girly!
__________________
www.Rachel-The-Gardener.co.uk (still building website, don't expect too much!)
Jobbing Gardener, South Oxfordshire
Living Willow Sculptures and Plant Sales
Old 17-11-2006, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

Mike Rogers wrote
[...]

Bob - I think that you may be forgetting some of the ups and downs of
urg over the years. I can remember several spats in the past which
developed into relatively prolonged stroppy exchanges - names such as
Andy M and Alan H come to mind and there was a 'Morley' (sp) who used to
get very exercised about leylandii. Whilst everyone appreciates that
there are bound to be idiots and trolls on ngs it appears that
unfortunately some people just cannot ignore them and get on with life,
which is rather sad as such infernal wranglings do tend to distract
others from the on topic threads.
--
Robert
Old 17-11-2006, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robert wrote:
Bob - I think that you may be forgetting some of the ups and downs of
urg over the years. I can remember several spats in the past which
developed into relatively prolonged stroppy exchanges - names such as
Andy M and Alan H come to mind and there was a 'Morley' (sp) who used to
get very exercised about leylandii. Whilst everyone appreciates that
there are bound to be idiots and trolls on ngs it appears that
unfortunately some people just cannot ignore them and get on with life,
which is rather sad as such infernal wranglings do tend to distract
others from the on topic threads.

Alan Holmes is peppering this urg and Morley is Sacha (she had taken
her dog's name at the beginning). Plus ca change .....

Old 18-11-2006, 06:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

(snip) its worth staying on. As for other sites

(snip) aus.gardens I also find useful.

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about racoons
in the corn...........:~))

I can guarantee that you would not have seen an Aus garden groups talk
about racoons in the corn!

Old 18-11-2006, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farm1" please@askifyouwannaknow wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

(snip) its worth staying on. As for other sites

(snip) aus.gardens I also find useful.

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about racoons
in the corn...........:~))

I can guarantee that you would not have seen an Aus garden groups talk
about racoons in the corn!

Bandicoots in the Brussels?
Emus in the Eggplant?
Wombats in the Watermelons?
Kangaroos in the Kale?

Jenny "~)

Old 18-11-2006, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:

What gives here? I joined this group in the hope of expanding my knowledge
of gardening having taken on a large (about an acre) once grand, now
overgrown town garden. I am now wondering whether to stay for fear of attack
from some members of this group. In a few days of membership I have been
reading more bitching and hate on this NG than I can recall ever reading
elsewhere.

Just a few days might just be enough to notice certain posters tend to
stick with the gardening stuff.... others are more difficult to follow,
such as the ones who tends to "contribute" to the kind of rubbish
that's not even fit for the compost bin.
And then there's the Subject header. Yours (new boy, no understand?) is
an example of the kind of garbage Subject header I would ordinarily
assume comes the weirdos and reading it I see it's not really about
gardening either ... is it?
I would have ignored it entirely had it not been for the fact that I
noticed the name of the last poster!
That's how to do it. Now, about that gardening question......

Old 18-11-2006, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
"JennyC" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

(snip) its worth staying on. As for other sites

(snip) aus.gardens I also find useful.

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about

racoons
in the corn...........:~))

I can guarantee that you would not have seen an Aus garden groups

talk
about racoons in the corn!

Bandicoots in the Brussels?
Emus in the Eggplant?
Wombats in the Watermelons?
Kangaroos in the Kale?

Possums in the potatoes?

Parrots in the petunias.

Old 19-11-2006, 08:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
What gives here? I joined this group in the hope of expanding my knowledge
of gardening having taken on a large (about an acre) once grand, now
overgrown town garden. I am now wondering whether to stay for fear of
attack from some members of this group. In a few days of membership I have
been reading more bitching and hate on this NG than I can recall ever
reading elsewhere.

Is it always like this?
Is it worth hanging around for the garden talk to start?
Is there a real gardening NG somewhere?
Will I attract the abuse now?

You wanna try uk.rec.,motorcycles for bitching, general abuse, pedants and
other miscreants that like to make your life shit.
Also if you did go there you would be welcomed with open arms and
flagellated by the Apostrophe Nazis and the Spelling Police to name just a
few...

Old 19-11-2006, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Robbo wrote:

"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

Spelling Police.... ah well, best correct a spelling mistake I made
earlier...
Callistemon (bottle brush)... as opposed to however else I may have
spelt it, though no one noticed

Old 19-11-2006, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Robbo" contains these words:
"Muddymike" wrote in message
[...]

It hasn't changed in the past two years, then?

I didn't know you were interested in motor cycles!

Alan

--
AnneJ
(If you don't like it, you can Foscar Oxtrot)

Old 20-11-2006, 08:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Robbo" contains these words:

You wanna try uk.rec.,motorcycles for bitching, general abuse,
pedants and other miscreants that like to make your life shit.
Also if you did go there you would be welcomed with open arms
and flagellated by the Apostrophe Nazis and the Spelling Police
to name just a few...

It hasn't changed in the past two years, then?

I didn't know you were interested in motor cycles!

Me? I'm the mad dame who bought herself a mo'bike for a 59th birthday
present! Having always wanted a bike of my very own (instead of riding
pillion on the bikes of various husbands) I thought I'd better DO IT
before they gave me my bus pass! ;-)

I think you are very brave, Anne.
--
June Hughes
Old 20-11-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message
"George.com" wrote in message

(snip) its worth staying on. As for other sites
(snip) aus.gardens I also find useful.

But being American based groups, they do tend to go on about

racoons
in the corn...........:~))

I can guarantee that you would not have seen an Aus garden groups

talk
about racoons in the corn!

Bandicoots in the Brussels?
Emus in the Eggplant?
Wombats in the Watermelons?
Kangaroos in the Kale?

Possums in the potatoes?

Parrots in the petunias.

Not to mention Dame Edna in the Gladdies!

Old 20-11-2006, 11:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Alan Holmes" contains these
words:
"Anne Jackson" wrote in message
The message from "Robbo" contains these words:

You wanna try uk.rec.,motorcycles for bitching, general abuse,
pedants and other miscreants that like to make your life shit.
Also if you did go there you would be welcomed with open arms
and flagellated by the Apostrophe Nazis and the Spelling Police
to name just a few...

It hasn't changed in the past two years, then?

I didn't know you were interested in motor cycles!

Me? I'm the mad dame who bought herself a mo'bike for a 59th birthday
present! Having always wanted a bike of my very own (instead of riding
pillion on the bikes of various husbands) I thought I'd better DO IT
before they gave me my bus pass! ;-)

I used to own a 350 Royal Enfield.

Alan

--