Old 03-12-2006, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default what is the MOST toxic plant?

i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

Old 03-12-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3 Dec 2006 12:20:07 -0800, "luke" wrote:

i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

Who are you going to poison?

And by 'plant' do you mean seed, or the plant itself? (Not that I know
the answer to either).

--
Chris

Old 03-12-2006, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:
| On 3 Dec 2006 12:20:07 -0800, "luke" wrote:
|
| i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone
|
| what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
| castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
| deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know
|
| Who are you going to poison?
|
| And by 'plant' do you mean seed, or the plant itself? (Not that I know
| the answer to either).

And to what, and how is it administered, and ....

It is not a meaningful question, but the answer is not Atropa belladonna,
almost irrespective of the answers to any of my questions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And why would you want to know, Vladimir/Mohammed?

--
I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Baal

ups.com...

Old 04-12-2006, 12:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

Castor bean seems a good candidate, but some other nasties include Oleander
(said to be able to kill if twigs are used as barbecue skewers) and
monkshood (but I'm still here despite my parents having a garden full of
this).

Alnwick garden have a good poisonous plants collection, and apparently
someone was hospitalised after just sniffing the henbane.

but Nicotiana probably kills more than all the other poisonous plants put
together.

Duncan

Old 04-12-2006, 08:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

And just to confuse you even more...................
http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/

Jenny

Old 04-12-2006, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Following up to "Duncan" :

and monkshood (but I'm still here despite my parents having a garden full of
this).

Well, you have to eat it first, before you die. :-)
That didn't stop an asian(japanese?) tourist a couple of years ago from
nibbling a leaf or two in Austria. He never left.
--
Tim C.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
Chris Hogg writes:
| On 3 Dec 2006 12:20:07 -0800, "luke" wrote:
|
| i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a

stone

| what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
| castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
| deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know
|
| Who are you going to poison?
|
| And by 'plant' do you mean seed, or the plant itself? (Not that I know
| the answer to either).

And to what, and how is it administered, and ....

It is not a meaningful question, but the answer is not Atropa belladonna,
almost irrespective of the answers to any of my questions.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

How about Strychnos toxifera better known as Curare, (although I suspect it
was not a serious question!)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 04-12-2006, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| How about Strychnos toxifera better known as Curare, (although I suspect it
| was not a serious question!)

Or Gloriosa or ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

JennyC wrote:
"luke" wrote in message
ups.com...
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

And just to confuse you even more...................
http://library.thinkquest.org/C007974/

Jenny

Called Belladona because Roman woman used to rub it on their eyes to
enlarge their pupils as large pupils were to the Roman what skinny
bodies are to us . ;-)
Old 04-12-2006, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger" wrote in message
news
On 3 Dec 2006 12:20:07 -0800, "luke" wrote:

i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

It's in Sellafield in Cumbria. Used to be called Windscale.

Well if we are going to use that meaning of plant, then I beleive Chernobyl
has it beat hands down. Used to be called, "OMFG? why has the reactor
turned purple!"
--
Tips for Evil Cult Members:
117. Never play strip Tarot.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" writes:

| How about Strychnos toxifera better known as Curare, (although I

suspect it
| was not a serious question!)

Or Gloriosa or ....

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Indeed and most of the usual suspects are only toxic if you are daft enough
to eat them!

Old 04-12-2006, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"luke" wrote
i have been doing research into poisonous plants and i have hit a stone

what is the MOST toxic plant in the world. some websites say it is the
castor bean some say it is the roseary pea but some people say it
deadly nightshade(atropa belladona) i just dont know

I would have thought some of the Fungi would be the most poisonous plants in
the world but it depends on your criteria, are you asking for the quickest,
the most certain, the nastiest......
The "Destroying Angel" or "Deaths Cap" toadstool will kill you slowly and
painfully over about a week as your vital organs close down, and there is
not much chance of survival after the symptoms show which is some
considerable time after eating them.

See http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap40.html and Amatoxins half way down.

--
Regards