Old 16-12-2006, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT OT Norton Symantec prob.

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 20:44:56 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

Their helpline is extremely useful. See their site.

I agree. I don't have a Mac, but some while ago I downloaded and paid
for an upgrade, but then I found it wouldn't run under my version of
windows, which wasn't clear from the info they provided at the time. I
contacted them via their helpline (e-mail, IIRC) and they canceled the
payment. Presumably something hiccuped during your download. They'll
probably let you do it again, either for free or they'll cancel the
payment and you start from the beginning.

--
Chris

Old 16-12-2006, 10:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

norton sucks- bin it

Old 16-12-2006, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
I'm downloading a paid for update to my Mac, running OS X and for at least
5
hours it's been telling me it has one minute to run on Installing Symantec
Shared Frameworks. Does anyone know what on earth is going on here and
what
I should do to solve the problem? I don't even know what it is!
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Sacha,
Unless you make a habit of visiting 'unusual' websites, or opening
suspicious emails, you will experience less trouble with your Mac alone than
you will with your Mac plus Norton. If you do feel vulnerable then a simple
firewall is all you need.
In the meantime you should abandon the update and uninstall the Norton.

Richard

Old 16-12-2006, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/12/06 22:19, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

That seems to be the overall view. I'll try to get the money back but it
would almost be worth losing it to lose the hassle, too! OTOH, I've had
Norton for *years* without this problem, which is why I'm
surprised/irritated/annoyed etc.
You say a 'simple firewall' but which, how do I find and instal it? I'm a
computer user of the switch on the engine and drive variety. Please
recommend something, if you feel able to do so. I'd be most grateful.
I certainly don't visit 'unusual' websites unless you feel Amazon comes into
that category and I am scrupulously careful about not opening attachments
from people I don't know or do not expect to receive them from.
Thank you for your advice.

Old 17-12-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
wrote

You say a 'simple firewall' but which, how do I find and instal it?

Don't us the Norton Firewall. I used to run a firewall called Atguard.
It was well regarded and ran well. Norton's parent company then bought
the rights to the software and things went downhill within months.

Many companies that once produced good software products seem now to be
run by accountants who know nothing about computing and as a result are
prepared to release s**t into the marketplace knowing places like PC
World will still stock it.

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com

Old 17-12-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 23:38:02 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

On 16/12/06 22:19, in article ,
"Spider" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

If you are using Tiger (and maybe earlier versions, which I wouldn't know
about), you have a firewall built in - no need to download anything or part
with any hard-earned cash. Go to System Preferences -- Sharing --
Firewall. If you're not sure what to set, try the Help files or rummage
around he http://www.apple.com/support/tiger/

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 17-12-2006, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
You say a 'simple firewall' but which, how do I find and instal it? I'm a
computer user of the switch on the engine and drive variety.

Pass on Mac firewalls.

However, if you are on broadband behind router (using something called
NAT) - which consumer routers do by default) then I wouldn't worry about
it, this and the other protection built into them are good enough. I've
been running our PC's without software firewalls in such manner for a
few years now with no problems (without it I had an infection within 10
minutes once).

They do have a small benefit in also monitoring outgoing communications.
But unless you expect to be picking up lots of Trojans or viruses trying
to email themselves out etc. then really isn't worth it IMO

As for Mac viruses, yeah there a few - though AIUI no really actively
attacking OS X, but really it doesn't seem worth worrying about if you
are reasonably careful user.

If I was a Mac user I'd probably use ClamXav which is free:

http://www.clamxav.com/

Though I don't agree on the rationale they have for scanning incoming
and outgoing emails - it's not something I do here and we use Windows -
--
Chris French

Old 17-12-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 01:15:39 +0000
chris French wrote:

As for Mac viruses, yeah there a few - though AIUI no really actively
attacking OS X, but really it doesn't seem worth worrying about if you
are reasonably careful user.

http://www.macobserver.com/editorial/2003/08/29.1.shtml

According to this (no longer current) article 95% of so-called mac viruses
are enabled by microsoft software, i.e. word/excel macros. The remaining
26 attacked the "mac classic" OS, none (as of that date) for OSX. I
wonder what the statistics are now.

Anyway OSX is based on Unix and as such has an inherently more secure file
structure than Windows. The user can't execute code that compromises the OS.
Although he can wipe out his own files, which would be annoying enough!

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 17-12-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/12/06 01:15, in article ,
"chris French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
You say a 'simple firewall' but which, how do I find and instal it? I'm a
computer user of the switch on the engine and drive variety.

Pass on Mac firewalls.

However, if you are on broadband behind router (using something called
NAT) - which consumer routers do by default) then I wouldn't worry about
it, this and the other protection built into them are good enough. I've
been running our PC's without software firewalls in such manner for a
few years now with no problems (without it I had an infection within 10
minutes once).

I'm on Broadband, Chris, using Speedtouch and freeserve or what is now
Orange but that's about all I can tell you!

They do have a small benefit in also monitoring outgoing communications.
But unless you expect to be picking up lots of Trojans or viruses trying
to email themselves out etc. then really isn't worth it IMO

As for Mac viruses, yeah there a few - though AIUI no really actively
attacking OS X, but really it doesn't seem worth worrying about if you
are reasonably careful user.

I'm very careful. On my old pc I once opened a file sent by a friend of
mine that I hadn't heard from in years and promptly infected everyone else
in my address book. He used no anti virus protection at all and whatever I
had at the time wasn't proof against this worm. Now, I am extremely
cautious.

If I was a Mac user I'd probably use ClamXav which is free:

http://www.clamxav.com/

Though I don't agree on the rationale they have for scanning incoming
and outgoing emails - it's not something I do here and we use Windows -

I'll have a look at that, thank you. How's the gorgeous one? ;-)

Old 18-12-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha,
Look at www.majorgeeks.com
See if any Mac versions of the following utilities are available
ccleaner
spybot search and destroy
Adaware ( from this site your safe but some have downloaded adware by
mistake)
Zone alarm free version( plenty goodenough)
download, update then run. will need to check for new updates weekly.
Not familiar with Mac machines but the above will assist in keeping malware
and spyware from computers
regards
Cineman

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 17/12/06 01:15, in article
,
"chris French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes

Old 18-12-2006, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 20:39:11 +0000, cineman wrote
(in article ) :

[Top posting re-arranged]

"Sacha" wrote in message

snipped postings re firewalls and anti-virus

Sacha,
Look at www.majorgeeks.com
See if any Mac versions of the following utilities are available
ccleaner
spybot search and destroy
Adaware ( from this site your safe but some have downloaded adware by
mistake)
Zone alarm free version( plenty goodenough)
download, update then run. will need to check for new updates weekly.
Not familiar with Mac machines but the above will assist in keeping malware
and spyware from computers

Zone Alarm is Windows only, and in any case none of these are necessary on a
Mac operating system. If Sacha is still concerned she should search the
archives of comp.sys.mac.system, or post a query there, but I think she has
been reassured by previous messages in this thread.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Mac user

Old 18-12-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
wrote

Mac has it's own firewall, just as Win XP has.

Win XP has a toy firewall that doesn't report messages back to the
Microsoft home. Is the MAC firewall equally as bad?

Old 19-12-2006, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Alan" replied:

Norton products do the exact opposite. Install one of their products and
it will always be trying to contact home and they are almost impossible
to eradicate from your system without a complete system re-build.
---

I agree! I have ZoneAlarm Pro, avast! Antivirus, Spybot Search & Destroy
and a-squared keeping my PC safe. All but ZoneAlarm Pro are FREE,
*and* have kept my computer trouble free for at least two and a half
years.

MikeCT

Agree. Spybot (free!) found a trojan ("Ruins") on my other older PC that had
just walked past Symantec's vast and expensive internet security product.
What didn't help was that the invader could not be reliably removed by
Spybot, but was listed under a different name in Symantec's database -
despite which it couldn't actually see the trojan's files and registry
entries (this nasty POS nobbles Registry Editor and File browsing to conceal
itself, except in windows Safe Mode, which of course this year's Symantec
product won't run in). Had to resort to scary manual removal tactics in Safe
Mode in the end - this was possible mainly because I knew the exact date and
time when the infected files got in, otherwise I'd have had no chance.

Left wondering WTF I paid the subscription to Symantec for, particularly as
the memory upgrade I needed to run their latest offering and still be able
to open a word processor in less time than a kettle takes to boil cost me as
much again.

Please excuse bad language in form of TLAs (3-letter abbrevs).!

Ex-Symantec Customer

P.S. Back to gardening - I think in hindsight I lost an apple tree and a
chaenomeles to fireblight this summer. Will removing the infected plants get
rid of it, or does this lurk in the soil or unseen on other plants?

Duncan

Old 19-12-2006, 03:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/12/06 22:55, in article
, "Sally Thompson"

"Sacha" wrote in message

snipped postings re firewalls and anti-virus

Sacha,
Look at
www.majorgeeks.com
See if any Mac versions of the following utilities are available
ccleaner
spybot search and destroy
Adaware ( from this site your safe but some have downloaded adware by
mistake)
Zone alarm free version( plenty goodenough)
download, update then run. will need to check for new updates weekly.
Not familiar with Mac machines but the above will assist in keeping malware
and spyware from computers

Zone Alarm is Windows only, and in any case none of these are necessary on a
Mac operating system. If Sacha is still concerned she should search the
archives of comp.sys.mac.system, or post a query there, but I think she has
been reassured by previous messages in this thread.

Yes, I've looked at that site, Sally and it's extremely helpful, thank you.
I have started/opened/whatever my own firewall, so thank you and everyone
else for that info. hat I do not seem to have managed is to get rid of
Symantec entirely. But I'm getting there! Again, thank you everyone.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Do you know that Norton antivirus is itself a virus..? [email protected] Gardening 2 13-06-2007 08:32 PM
Fried Norton's AntiVirus - any good ideas? ( OT more viruses) Nedra Ponds 11 22-09-2003 12:55 AM
clemetis prob STEPHEN United Kingdom 3 27-04-2003 02:20 PM
prob. kordaska sci.agriculture 0 04-04-2003 08:44 AM