Old 23-12-2006, 08:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Happy Christmas

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob
Hobden" wrote in reply to:
"Sacha" wrote
Looking out of the window, I can't see the end of the garden, the fog is
so
terrible. I hope that everyone who is going away for Christmas travels
safely and on time and that all urglers have a very happy Christmas and
wonderful new year.

Well I'm sure you all know what the weather is like around here, we are
not
that many miles from Heathrow.
But early this morning just before dawn we had freezing fog that looked
like
tiny sparkles in the headlights as it rained down, I've never seen it
quite
like that before. Scraped the car windows clear, went to Sainsburys and
had
to do it all over again when we came out. Everything went white and the
trees and plants looked so wonderful. Highest temp today has been -1°C.

Ouch. Supposedly it was 7C here today and that was quite enough, thank
you.
Luckily we had no wind but the fog, which stayed here all day, was
extremely
localised as we found out when we drove out of the village this pm to go
Ashburton. So localised that at the top of the hill out of Landscove, we
drove straight out of it. This immediate area is a bit Brigadoon-ish, in
terms of weather, we feel very often. The entire village was submerged
and
looking at one of the pylons emerging from the fog reminded me of looking
at
a light house standing out in the sea on a rocky promontory. I rather like
it because I miss the sea a lot, even while I love the gentle greens and
browns and other shades of the South Hams.

It's this high pressure system we have at the moment, it's pushing the moist
air down to the ground so hills etc get clear skys and sun whilst valleys
get thick cold fog (frost pockets!). What we need is a bit of wind to blow
it away but that won't happen until the high pressure moves away.

We live at the top of a hill, which is the highest point in London, and
we have had a great deal of freezing fog in the last couple of days.
Not too bad today. Happy Christmas.
--
June Hughes
Old 23-12-2006, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

And I was dripped on in the park this morning. Freezing drops of water
right down the back of my neck --
June Hughes

I was buying oysters yesterday in a tent outside the fish shop,I was
drenched by the time I left the tent, it dripped all over me and by the
time I got to the sack of lemons, I thought it was raining.

It was minus 5 at 9a.m. this morning, the sun is shining and although
it is bitterly cold, it looks beautiful. There is snow on at Super
Besse and we will all be there on the 29th for skiing, except me that
is. I will be sipping at hot wine and looking at my family swooping
all over the place. If I fall, I cannot get up these days, old age and
a bit of osteoporosis and osteo-arthritis have seen to that but I am
very happy to sit in an hotel, sipping warm spiced wine and looking out
at the slopes, much less demanding and at least my gold slippers don't
get wet.

Happy Christmas everyone.

Old 23-12-2006, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 02:21:56 -0800, judith lea wrote:

June Hughes wrote:

[...]

********************************
Happy Christmas everyone. I was delighted to see all our local garden
centres defying current politically correctness have the most beautiful
display of Christmas atrmospherics and large nativity scenes...
Of course being Wales....
********************************

Old 23-12-2006, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/12/06 13:05, in article
, "Welsh Witch"

June Hughes wrote:

[...]

They've hidden the corkscrews....? ;-))
I'm delighted to see that there's a bit of a resistance growing to this
Winterval etc. nonsense. We had more people in church for our carol service
than ever before.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 23-12-2006, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Sacha" wrote after "Bob
Hobden" wrote in reply to:
[...]

Happy Christmas, Feliz Navidad, Happy Holidays, y Feliz Ano Nuevo from
a cool, but still sunny Spain, where my OURDOOR bizzy lizzies are still
well in flower, and I must admit, my poinsetia outdoors is much better
than any I've seen on sale here or in the UK, when I was over at the
beginning of the month.

Old 24-12-2006, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ray Ray is offline

LOL - I think I must live on top of the same hill that you do.

It was dreadful coming back up here from Christmas shopping. At one
point I was walking up part of Archway Road and I could feel it getting
colder and wetter and more dank, even though I was only moving at
walking pace!

Thank goodness the fog has lifted now. I can more or less see the
Heath again...

Happy Christmas everyone!

Old 24-12-2006, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message . com, Ray
writes
LOL - I think I must live on top of the same hill that you do.

It was dreadful coming back up here from Christmas shopping. At one
point I was walking up part of Archway Road and I could feel it getting
colder and wetter and more dank, even though I was only moving at
walking pace!

Thank goodness the fog has lifted now. I can more or less see the
Heath again...

Happy Christmas everyone!

Same to you. (We are in Barnet).
--
June Hughes
Old 25-12-2006, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

We live at the top of a hill, which is the highest point in London, and
we have had a great deal of freezing fog in the last couple of days.
Not too bad today. Happy Christmas.

We live pretty high up in Yorkshire yet have had no fog at home at all, fog
in every direction we have driven out of Leyburn but none in Leyburn itself,
strange. I drove up to the Tan Hill Inn (the highest pub in England, about
20 miles away) yesterday. The fog got thicker and thicker the further I
drove from home, the grass on the verges got more and more covered in frost
as I drove higher into the moors, then magically I came out above the fog
into glorious sunshine. If only I had taken the camera, the views were
fantastic looking down onto a level sea of fog with the odd hill, island
like, sticking up. I did take a couple with my phone but the quality is just
not up to the job.

Happy Christmas and a prosperous, healthy new year to all

Mike

Old 27-12-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ah - maybe it's not the same "highest hill in London" then...

June Hughes wrote:

In message . com, Ray
writes

Old 27-12-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com, Mary
writes
Ah - maybe it's not the same "highest hill in London" then...

June Hughes wrote:

In message . com, Ray
writes
LOL - I think I must live on top of the same hill that you do.

It was dreadful coming back up here from Christmas shopping. At one
point I was walking up part of Archway Road and I could feel it getting
colder and wetter and more dank, even though I was only moving at
walking pace!

Thank goodness the fog has lifted now. I can more or less see the
Heath again...

Happy Christmas everyone!

Same to you. (We are in Barnet).
--
June Hughes

Whatever you say.
--
June Hughes
Old 28-12-2006, 08:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message .com,
Mary writes
Ah - maybe it's not the same "highest hill in London" then...

June Hughes wrote:

In message . com, Ray
writes
LOL - I think I must live on top of the same hill that you do.

It was dreadful coming back up here from Christmas shopping. At one
point I was walking up part of Archway Road and I could feel it getting
colder and wetter and more dank, even though I was only moving at
walking pace!

Thank goodness the fog has lifted now. I can more or less see the
Heath again...

Happy Christmas everyone!

Same to you. (We are in Barnet).
--
June Hughes

Whatever you say.

Sorry - that looks as thought it didn't make sense. The person before
me did a top post in error.
--
June Hughes
Old 28-12-2006, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes wrote:

In message , June Hughes
writes

Whatever you say.

Sorry - that looks as thought it didn't make sense. The person before
me did a top post in error.
--
June Hughes

Woops - sorry! Are we meant to post only after previous messages?

Anyway, I live in Highgate and you live in Barnet, so I guess it's not
the same place?

(That said, I suppose part of Barnet is quite close to Hampstead Heath.
Oh well...)

Happy New Year anyway!

Old 28-12-2006, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary" wrote in message
oups.com...

Woops - sorry! Are we meant to post only after previous messages?

Don't worry Mary, some people are paranoid and lose sleep over top posters
:-((
Sign of being bullied at school I guess.

Mike

--
.................................................. .........
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 28-12-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
Don't worry Mary, some people are paranoid and lose sleep over top posters
:-((
Sign of being bullied at school I guess.

The best arguement I know of for bottom posting is that it makes sense
as you read the whole thing. In particular, newsreaders for blind
people read from the top down, so having the last contribution come
last improves thier contribution, where they don't have visual
read-ahead cues to go by.