Old 13-01-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default wildflowers

"Mike Lyle" wrote
"Larry Stoter" wrote in message
[...]
I presume you intend native wildflowers?

In which case, try to check the source of the seed. Some packs of
'native' wildflower seeds actually originate from outside the UK.

snip

For example, the UK varieties are probably prefered by UK insects and
more resistant to UK pests and diseases.

Good point. I can't remember the details, but there was an interesting
case with, I think, primroses. IIRC, a particular strain in the
northern Hebrides flowered at a very slightly different time, which
provided invertebrates exactly when they were wanted during the local
birds' breeding timetable. An introduced, but still British, strain
was a couple of weeks wrong, and the effect was measurable. That's
extreme, of course: I don't think many mainland ecosystems are
anything like that delicate -- I wouldn't worry much about, say,
"average" English seed in an "average" Scottish garden.

In this respect you may well find that wild flower nurseries in your
area make a point of raising as much of their stock as possible from
relatively locally harvested seed/ material. I also had some sound
advice from a couple of quite small, tucked away local nurseries about
what would grow in my particular conditions when I was trying to get my
wild area established, so it's a good idea to seek them out and chat to
the owners about what you're trying to do - they're often only too glad
to help.

Kate, if you'd like any Red Campion seed from E Anglia, I have some left
from last year's flowering that you're welcome to.

--
Sue

Old 14-01-2007, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike raised the point of grasses dominating - to hep prevent this make
sure you have some Yellow rattle - which is a parasite of grasses. The
seed is expensive, is often included in blends, but if the mix is
lacking - then this is a cse in question for using plugs over seed
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster

Old 14-01-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

Out of curiosity, what are the approx dimensions of your 'corner'? It's
important so that you know how much seeds to use (taking into account
the self seeding). We successfully did a meadow 5mx7m by a block of
flats in the city centre and in it's 3rd year it was beautiful. We made
another one about 7 years ago, and now the camomille is taking over -
that's because we didn't really think about the dimensions to start
with! We've used no grass seeds, because it will smother all your seeds
eventually (and also attracts slugs) but also once you cut (3 times a
year your mini meadow) the dead grass will prevent your flowers to grow
and moss will settle underneath. Plugs are expensive and as K said and
so much more prone to slugs. I lost myself in this meadow last year in
Longford park in Manchester, at its 'white' peak, after it was 'yellow'
and then 'red and blue' )

http://cjoint.com/?bos1Tgs8Ub

Old 14-01-2007, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

cliff_the_gardener wrote:

Mike raised the point of grasses dominating - to hep prevent this make
sure you have some Yellow rattle - which is a parasite of grasses. The
seed is expensive, is often included in blends, but if the mix is
lacking - then this is a cse in question for using plugs over seed
Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster

I collected some yellow rattle seed myself from a local reserve and
spread in my 'meadow' area. Not only did it do very well but the effect
on the grass is very obvious - half the height in those patches with
yellow rattle compared with areas without yellow rattle.
--
Larry Stoter

Old 16-01-2007, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate, if you'd like any Red Campion seed from E Anglia, I have some left
from last year's flowering that you're welcome to.

Sorry I have been so long answering, gremlins in my p.c. all better now
I hope. Thank you for your kind offer but I do have some Red
Campion, it strayed in from the lane, honest :-) but it was kind of you
to offer.

kate
Old 16-01-2007, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

Out of curiosity, what are the approx dimensions of your 'corner'? It's
important so that you know how much seeds to use (taking into account
the self seeding). We successfully did a meadow 5mx7m by a block of
flats in the city centre and in it's 3rd year it was beautiful. We made
another one about 7 years ago, and now the camomille is taking over -

I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

kate
Old 16-01-2007, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kate Morgan wrote:
I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

I understand why you asked whether plugs would be an idea! It looks
like you've got a good lawn there and the lilac tree next to the stone
wall sounds just like a corner of my front garden! You could give the
'effect' of what you want to do with plugs indeed if you don't want to
mess up your lawn for a meadow. I have used verbena bonariensis against
our wall, scabiosa here and there, pimpernella saxifraga, thistles and
marguerites (lots). I do nothing to it except enjoy and use as cut
flowers in summer. You'll have to 'group' them or they'll get mowed by
your husband!

Old 16-01-2007, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
I do nothing to it except enjoy and use as cut
flowers in summer. You'll have to 'group' them or they'll get mowed by
your husband!

Yes this is so - my partner mowed all the bulbs in the lawn before they
flowered by mistake

Old 16-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

La Puce writes

Kate Morgan wrote:
I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

I understand why you asked whether plugs would be an idea! It looks
like you've got a good lawn there and the lilac tree next to the stone
wall sounds just like a corner of my front garden! You could give the
'effect' of what you want to do with plugs indeed if you don't want to
mess up your lawn for a meadow. I have used verbena bonariensis against
our wall, scabiosa here and there, pimpernella saxifraga, thistles and
marguerites (lots). I do nothing to it except enjoy and use as cut
flowers in summer. You'll have to 'group' them or they'll get mowed by
your husband!

Though as La Puce says, this is the wild flower 'effect' not the real
thing as most of these are not UK natives.
--
Kay

Old 16-01-2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Kate Morgan writes

Kate Morgan wrote:
I would like to turn one corner of the garden and possibly down the
drive into a wildflower patch and cannot decide which to use, seeds or
plugs, any advice or thoughts appreciated

Out of curiosity, what are the approx dimensions of your 'corner'? It's
important so that you know how much seeds to use (taking into account
the self seeding). We successfully did a meadow 5mx7m by a block of
flats in the city centre and in it's 3rd year it was beautiful. We made
another one about 7 years ago, and now the camomille is taking over -

I havnt really decided how much to let go to the wild, we have a big old
lilac tree and a old stone wall and I thought that wild flowers would
look good, also my husband moans every time he mows the lawn under the
tree :-)

If you're planting under the lilac tree, you'll need woodland plants to
cope with the lack of light and the shade. Try red campion, stitchwort,
woodruff, astrantia, wood vetch. Primroses, wood anemones for spring
(avoid bluebells - their leaves are too much in the way later on). Not
native here but with the right 'feel', small hardy cyclamen -
hederifolium for autumn and coum for spring.
--
Kay
Old 16-01-2007, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/1/07 17:38, in article , "K"
wrote:

Kate Morgan writes

Kate Morgan wrote:
[...]

This one site gives its native wild flower 100% Native British mixture as
containing:
"Species include:- Achillea millefolium, Agrostemma githago, Betula erecta,
Chrysanthemum leucanthemum, Chrysanthemum segatum, Cynoglossum officinale,
Digitalis purpurea, Dipascus fullonum, Legousia hybrida, Lobularia maritime,
Lunaria annua, Lupinus albus, Malva moschata, Malva sylvestris, Papaver
rhoeas, Polygonum latifolium, Reseda lutea, Salvia pratensis, Tanacetum
vulgare, Tamus communis."
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seed...le/mixture.htm

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 17-01-2007, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

K wrote:
Though as La Puce says, this is the wild flower 'effect' not the real
thing as most of these are not UK natives.

I'm curious, which of the flowers I have mentioned, vervain, scabious,
pimpernella, thistles, (beside marguerites) are not native to the
British Isles?

Old 17-01-2007, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

La Puce writes

K wrote:
Though as La Puce says, this is the wild flower 'effect' not the real
thing as most of these are not UK natives.

I'm curious, which of the flowers I have mentioned, vervain, scabious,
pimpernella, thistles, (beside marguerites) are not native to the
British Isles?

Of the 5 you mentioned in your original post, only one is
unequivocally native:

Verbena bonariensis and marguerites are not native.

"Pimpernella saxifraga" - I assume you mean Pimpinella saxifraga - is
native.

Scabiosa and thistles may or may not be native depending on species -
you didn't specify which.

You didn't mention vervain(1) in your previous post

Not everyone reading this thread is familiar with the wild flora, and
they might be a bit narked, if they want wild as in UK native, to find
that some of the plants they have planted aren't actually UK natives. If
they're just after the wild look, then, eg, V bonariensis fits the bill.

(1) Vervain is Verbena officinalis
--
Kay
Old 17-01-2007, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
La Puce writes

K wrote:
[...]

I too was wondering what on the list was native. I have never seen fields of
V.bonariensis but it would be a spectacular sight :-)

Gorman Wildflowers Charles Gardening 0 29-04-2003 04:44 AM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Question on Growing Wildflowers Jerry Adams Gardening 6 08-03-2003 08:33 PM
Petrified Wood And Desert Wildflowers Inyo Plant Science 0 01-03-2003 08:14 PM
Perennial Wildflowers Martin & Anna Sykes United Kingdom 2 04-12-2002 09:48 PM