Old 05-03-2007, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wastebin sensors

In message , Alan
writes
In message , Martin
wrote
On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:21:38 +0000, Alan wrote:

In message , Martin
wrote

You have the advantage of being innocent until proved guilty under
English law.

If you have enough money and time you may be able to fight the
imposition of the fine. Back in the real world, the authorities will
have a record of YOUR bin ID containing the inappropriate rubbish.

As you have pointed out the labels are easily switched and the info they have
means nothing.

If someone steals your bin (or its identity) the fines will come back
to you and no-one else.

1. ensure your bin has an identifying mark - say your house number
painted on, you'd soon know if the bin was stolen.

2. I would expect eventually that ID 'tags' would be built in to the bin
in a way that makes tampering difficult. If it's easy to remove/swap the
tag with another bin, and youa re concerned about it, then covering it
with something, giving it some sort of identifying mark etc. wouldn't be
hard.

Yes of course there are issues around this, but these sort of schemes
seem - AFAICS - to operate in some other countries successfully.

It's very much like someone cloning your car number plate - how do you
prove that you are innocent when the speeding fine drops through your
letter box.

Unless the person with the cloned plates is driving on the same routes
at the same times as you, then it shouldn't be hard to show that you
weren't where the car was
--
Chris French

Old 05-03-2007, 09:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

chris French writes

1. ensure your bin has an identifying mark - say your house number
painted on, you'd soon know if the bin was stolen.

I've always wondered about this. If you put your house number on, and
your bin is still on the pavement when everyone else has taken theirs
back in, isn't it a bit of a give away that you're working late and your
house is empty and available for burgling?
--
Kay
Old 05-03-2007, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"K" wrote in message
chris French writes

1. ensure your bin has an identifying mark - say your house number painted
on, you'd soon know if the bin was stolen.

I've always wondered about this. If you put your house number on, and your
bin is still on the pavement when everyone else has taken theirs back in,
isn't it a bit of a give away that you're working late and your house is
empty and available for burgling?
--

Isn't that when good neighbours do something about it?
Graham

Old 08-03-2007, 12:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes

Food waste goes on the compost heap. Not very
much at all goes into the general waste bag, probably take us a month to
properly fill one.

Same here, I sometimes deliberately out clippings or prunings into the
green bin in case I get accused of putting the stuff in the black bin
and not recycling
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-03-2007, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:34:00 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Same here, I sometimes deliberately out clippings or prunings into the
green bin in case I get accused of putting the stuff in the black bin
and not recycling

B-) The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Of course
the council should know that we compost as they supplied the compost
bins, ah no that would require joined up thinking wouldn't it.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Old 08-03-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes

B-) The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Of course
the council should know that we compost as they supplied the compost
bins, ah no that would require joined up thinking wouldn't it.

Oh and ivy and ground elder and the horrible little alliums that someone
gave me last year but seed themselves and grow faster than I can dig
them up. Which is why I don't feel inclined to buy back council compost

Old 08-03-2007, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Mar 8, 7:58�am, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:

B-) *The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Cheers * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Dave. * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * pam is missing e-mail

This is the sort of thing that has me very worried about "Council
compost"
Nobody knows just what "Nasties" are going in, such as wood from dying
trees and shrubs, dormant pests etc.
It just wants a batch of infected bits from a tree with sudden oak
deats or something similar to spread the infection to a wide area.
I either compost, chip/shread or dare I say it BURN. anything that has
any sighj of infection, either pest/ virus or anything else gets
Burned
David Hill
Abacus Nurseries

Old 08-03-2007, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes

B-) The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Of course
the council should know that we compost as they supplied the compost
bins, ah no that would require joined up thinking wouldn't it.

Oh and ivy and ground elder and the horrible little alliums that
someone gave me last year but seed themselves and grow faster than I
can dig them up. Which is why I don't feel inclined to buy back council
compost

We are encourage to put foodstuffs in ours (except for bones). They can
be wrapped in newspaper if desired!
--
June Hughes
Old 09-03-2007, 01:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes

B-) The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Of course
the council should know that we compost as they supplied the compost
bins, ah no that would require joined up thinking wouldn't it.

Oh and ivy and ground elder and the horrible little alliums that
someone gave me last year but seed themselves and grow faster than I
can dig them up. Which is why I don't feel inclined to buy back
council compost

We are encourage to put foodstuffs in ours (except for bones). They
can be wrapped in newspaper if desired!

Yep, same here.

Compost made on this scale must get up to and stay at pretty high temps
for a while. I should imagine any perennial roots etc. are well done
for.
--
Chris French

Old 09-03-2007, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes

Compost made on this scale must get up to and stay at pretty high temps
for a while. I should imagine any perennial roots etc. are well done
for.

What, even ground elder Chris?

Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
wrote
In message , June Hughes
writes
In message , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article om,
Dave Liquorice writes

B-) The only stuff that goes in the green recycle bin are nasties we
don't want to compost here. Things like thistle, ragwort etc. Of course
the council should know that we compost as they supplied the compost
bins, ah no that would require joined up thinking wouldn't it.

Oh and ivy and ground elder and the horrible little alliums that
someone gave me last year but seed themselves and grow faster than I
can dig them up. Which is why I don't feel inclined to buy back
council compost

We are encourage to put foodstuffs in ours (except for bones). They
can be wrapped in newspaper if desired!

Yep, same here.

Compost made on this scale must get up to and stay at pretty high temps
for a while. I should imagine any perennial roots etc. are well done
for.

One of the reasons for not recommending certain foodstuffs for a
domestic compost is to avoid vermin raiding the heap.

A few years back I watched a documentary where a company was composting
commercial waste including tons of chicken feathers and other
by-products from the food processing industry. The company claimed it
could compost almost anything that had once been living. The success of
the operation was in having enough waste a the correct point of the
composting cycle and tight control of the 'chemical' content.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes typed

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers,
cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a
deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.

It was 10p when I worked in Glasgow (some 20 years after decimalisation)

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete ‹(•¿•)›" typed

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:41:26 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers,
cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a
deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for
those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.

Such an obvious thing. It makes you wonder why we ever let the idea
fade!
--

Some facial surgeons are pressing to stop the use of glass as some
scrotes use it as a weapon causing dreadful wounds.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" typed

On 2 Mar 2007 13:40:22 -0800, Dave Hill wrote:

I can't understand why councils don't double the charge for rubbish
disposal ...

Whoa there everyone already pays for rubbish disposal via their council
tax. It really gets my goat that I have to pay again for the disposal of
"bulky items" and pay again twice if said bulky item is a fridge or
freezer. I wouldn't mind so much if there was a "Household Amenity
Centre" within 10 miles but there isn't it's 30 miles away...

My council collects these things free, up to a limit of five items per
collection, three collections per financial year.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

June Hughes typed

We are encourage to put foodstuffs in ours (except for bones). They can
be wrapped in newspaper if desired!

We may put bones in ours.

I think we only put about 1kg into our general waste wheelie per week.
When the council start collecting plastic for recycling next month,
we'll put out next-to nothing.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 5 27-07-2004 06:10 PM
Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 6 22-07-2004 01:05 AM
Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 8 22-07-2004 12:05 AM
Remote Temperature Sensors stricks760 Ponds 5 06-10-2003 11:12 AM
Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 5 11-04-2003 02:56 AM