Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wastebin sensors

Some months ago, we had a discussion about sensors in dustbins and
garden refuse collecting bins. Our bins are emptied once a week by
three sets of collectors, more or less simultaneously. There is a
penalty of up to one thousand pounds for people not using their
recycling bins.

In Wymondham, Norfolk, it was proposed to install sensors in the bins
in order to spot who was putting the wrong stuff in their bin. They
collect on alternate weeks. I was recently staying with m-in-l and we
found these sensors in the brand new bins that had been delivered to
her. They are just under the front upper rim of the bin and are around
one inch in diameter and I should imagine that giving everyone two new
bins was expensive. Does anyone know how these sensors work, please?

PS The council there have stopped giving away free dog-pooh bags -
possibly to help support the cost of all the new bins.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 07:21:01 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

[...]

Why should the council give away free dog bags? That's crazy.
--

Avoid the rush at the last judgement. Be converted now instead!

Disclaimer

Pete has taken all reasonable care to ensure that pages published by him
were accurate on the date of publication or last modification.
Other pages which may be linked or which Pete may have published are in
a personal capacity. Pete takes no responsibility for the consequences
of error or for any loss or damage suffered by users of any of the information
published on any of these pages, and such information does not form any
basis of a contract with readers or users of it.

It is in the nature of Usenet & Web sites, that much of the information is
experimental or constantly changing, that information published may
be for test purposes only, may be out of date, or may be the personal
opinion of the author.
Readers should verify information gained from the Web/Usenet with the appropriate
authorities before relying on it.

Should you no longer wish to read this material or content, please use your
newsreaders kill filter.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , "Pete
‹(•¿•)›" writes
wrote:

[...]

I didn't say it wasn't.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
[...]

All they do is id the bin, so the weighing machine on the lorry knows the
weight of what is in it.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 02-03-2007, 09:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Charlie Pridham
writes

[...]

Ah! So you could still put all your newspapers in the bin and not get
caught out (not that I would want to do that, we have a neat little box
for newspapers, which is full to capacity every week).
--
June Hughes

Old 02-03-2007, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Anne Jackson
writes
The message from June Hughes contains
these words:

[...]

I don't know about anywhere else, June, but Perth Council only lease
the bins from the manufacturers, they don't buy them. Same story with
all the vehicles they use...

Ah! You are probably correct Ann.
--
June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 08:42:59 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message , "Pete
‹(•¿•)›" writes
wrote:

[...]

I didn't ask if you did.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 09:48:24 +0000, June Hughes

wrote:

In our part of the world if you complain that your bin disappeared after
the
last collection, you are given another without charge "it happens all the
time".
After the person who "accidentally" took your bin is caught with it and
returns
it, you can then get rid of twice as much waste.
--

Martin

Here every house around us has wheeled bins but we still have black bags,
which we have to buy. We have no idea why we have been left out but are not
complaining as our bags get taken away every week, and we can put absolutely
anything in them.

Mike

Old 02-03-2007, 03:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.
Graham

Old 02-03-2007, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.
--
June Hughes

Old 02-03-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 15:41:26 +0000, June Hughes
wrote:

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.

That you collected from behind the pub, too? :-)

June Hughes
Old 02-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.

Such an obvious thing. It makes you wonder why we ever let the idea
fade!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.

That you collected from behind the pub, too? :-)

Soda syphons were the best

Old 02-03-2007, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"June Hughes" wrote in message
In message cqXFh.1206158$R63.603446@pd7urf1no, graham
writes

The Calgary council has just proposed using wheelies for re-cycling and
charging us about £10 per month. What a fuss that's causing!
We have separate recycling bins in every burb for newspapers, cardboard
etc,
milk bottles (plastic) etc, and these are very popular. We pay a deposit
on
booze and pop bottles so there is a very high rate of recycling for
those -
the boy scouts come round after xmas to collect them to raise money, for
example.

I can remember getting tuppence back on every pop bottle.
--

There are different rates for pop cans, beer cans, beer bottles (domestic
and imported) and wine bottles etc. Homeless people collect them from

Old 02-03-2007, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

If they ever appear here, I will try to get all the neighbours to swop them
around every week, or perhaps apply a hammer to the damned things!

Alan

--

Martin

Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 5 27-07-2004 06:10 PM
Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 6 22-07-2004 01:05 AM
Moisture Sensors Sparks United Kingdom 8 22-07-2004 12:05 AM
Remote Temperature Sensors stricks760 Ponds 5 06-10-2003 11:12 AM
Keeping critters away - sprinkler motion sensors Gary Flynn Edible Gardening 5 11-04-2003 02:56 AM