Old 12-03-2007, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default water bill.

Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?
regards
Cineman

Old 12-03-2007, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?

I thought most houses in the UK were built with soakaways for rain water.
Ours always have.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 12-03-2007, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"cineman" wrote
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow
surface water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my
roof. Any ideas?

I thought most houses in the UK were built with soakaways for rain
water. Ours always have.

my 1910 house roof drains into the foul sewer.

pk

Old 13-03-2007, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"cineman" wrote
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?

I thought most houses in the UK were built with soakaways for rain water.
Ours always have.

There are usually two separate drainage systems, foul sewers and surface
water. The former feed to sewage treatment plants whilst the latter
drain into local streams and rivers. This is a major cause of flooding
in many areas. When rain falls on open fields it takes days to soak into
the water courses which rise slowly and can cope with the rate of flow.
Replace the fields with houses and suddenly the rain is into the water
courses within minutes. Before privatisation this was always considered
by the Rivers Authority in any housing development planning application.
Not sure if it is now.

On your water bill you will have up to 3 separate charges, water supply,
sewage and surface water/highway drainage according to your particular
situation.
--
hugh
Old 13-03-2007, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?

Well here we have no water charges but then rainwater and sink, shower and
bath waste goes into the soak away and sewage into the septic tank and then
the soak away. Easy enough to make a soak away pit in any garden I would
have thought unless you were on very heavy clay of great depth.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 13-03-2007, 08:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"cineman" wrote in message
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?
regards
Cineman

You do not need any storage, you can do what most houses around here do and
use soak aways, as far as I am aware we are not allowed to let rain water
enter the drainage system.
How they can tell you your bill will reduce beats me though, normally people
are charged by the cubic meter that comes in through their meter (less a bit
if you can argue you water the garden) for their waste water/sewage.
Does this mean you are paying an additional charge for them to cope with
your surface water?

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 13-03-2007, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"p.k." wrote in message
Bob Hobden wrote:
"cineman" wrote
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow
surface water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my
roof. Any ideas?

I thought most houses in the UK were built with soakaways for rain
water. Ours always have.

my 1910 house roof drains into the foul sewer.

pk

But do the water company charge more because of that? I mean how do they
know?

Old 13-03-2007, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"p.k." wrote
my 1910 house roof drains into the foul sewer.

But do the water company charge more because of that? I mean how do
they know?

I think our lot includes a blanket charge for it regardless, and then
make you apply, with plans and evidence, to get the deduction made.

--
Sue

Old 13-03-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"p.k." wrote
my 1910 house roof drains into the foul sewer.

But do the water company charge more because of that? I mean how do
they know?

I think our lot includes a blanket charge for it regardless, and then
make you apply, with plans and evidence, to get the deduction made.

--
Sue

B......y cheek! Still I mustn't complain as I do not pay water charges :~)
but it is a popular topic of conversation down here!!

Old 13-03-2007, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sue" wrote in message

"Charlie Pridham" wrote
"p.k." wrote
my 1910 house roof drains into the foul sewer.

But do the water company charge more because of that? I mean how do they
know?

I think our lot includes a blanket charge for it regardless, and then make
you apply, with plans and evidence, to get the deduction made.

That was the way back when I had a house on a mountain in Wales with no
mains water or sewers and they still sent me a bill. The threats to cut me
off for non payment were amusing though.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 13-03-2007, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Mar, 21:28, "cineman"
wrote:
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?
regards
Cineman

I should think that what they mean is that if you store your rainwater
rather than have it go down the drain then you will use less mains
water on your garden thus reducing your bill.
As to how much storage you will need, you will have to work out for
yourself, as I have no idea of the size of your roof.
1 inch of rain will give you aprox 0.6gall per sq ft.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 13-03-2007, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 12 Mar, 21:28, "cineman"
wrote:
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?
regards
Cineman

I think that what they are getting at is that if you store the water
from your roof and use it on the garden then you will use less mains
water and thus have a lower bill.
As to how much storage you need, you will have to work that out for
yourself as I have no idea of the size of your roof.
1 inch of rain is aproz. 0.6 of a gall per sq, ft.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

Old 13-03-2007, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

There is a charge for disposal of water from houses. The charge is based on
the amount of water supplied to you (or estimated if not on a meter). If
you can show or give evidence that the rain falling on your roof does not
enter the sewers, the water company only charges for supplied disposal. If
your subsoil is suitable, have a soakaway dug under your lawn - any builder
will advise.

You could always reduce your water bill even more by having rainwater stored
in a roof tank to be used for flushing toilets but it will mean capital
outlay so might not be much of a saving but if costs for water rise . . . .
.. .

Geoff

Old 13-03-2007, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

To answer your question about storage, my house is approximately 10 X 10
metres and assuming an annual rainfall of about 0.8 metres, that would be 80
cubic metres of water. One cubic metre of rainwater is 1000 litres (approx
222 gallons) - say 4 buttsworth. so go out and buy a few hundred water
butts!!

Lionel

Old 13-03-2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13 Mar 2007 07:25:01 -0700, "Dave Hill"
wrote:

On 12 Mar, 21:28, "cineman"
wrote:
Hi,
Got my overgrown water bill today.
On the reverse it states I could reduce my bill if I do not allow surface
water to drain into sewers.
NOW how much storage would i need to conserve the rainfall from my roof.
Any ideas?
regards
Cineman

I think that what they are getting at is that if you store the water
from your roof and use it on the garden then you will use less mains
water and thus have a lower bill.
As to how much storage you need, you will have to work that out for
yourself as I have no idea of the size of your roof.
1 inch of rain is aproz. 0.6 of a gall per sq, ft.

David Hill
Abacus Nurseries.

I got my sewage charges reduced some years ago by telling them that I
use some grey water on the garden and that all the water I use on the
garden obviously does not go into the sewers.
I did this after reading that some people with bigger gardens have
separate water meters for the garden, which incur no sewage charges.
David, I guess you have a separate meter?
They sent me a form to fill in, and I had to do a lot of guesswork
with the figures, but they accepted it. Don't ask me how much I
saved, but it's nice to know I save something!!

Pam in Bristol