Old 21-04-2007, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broomrape/More garden pictures

Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have uploaded a
few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two and a half years
ago.

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture at http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Old 21-04-2007, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message

Must change the subject?
--

You don't like my subject? Then that what the delete key is for, its nice
you bothered to reply though.

Mike

Old 21-04-2007, 07:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 21, 10:52 am, "Muddymike" wrote:
Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have uploaded a
few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two and a half years
ago.

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture athttp://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Mike, your garden is beautiful and it's obviously been a labour of
love for you. Was there any structure to gthe garden when you first
bought the house?

Your soil doesn't look as if it is clay, I am just down the road from
you and we are entirely on clay. Was yours clay to begin with and
what did you do to refine it?

Judith

Old 22-04-2007, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 21, 10:52 am, "Muddymike" wrote:

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture athttp://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Mike, your garden is beautiful and it's obviously been a labour of
love for you. Was there any structure to gthe garden when you first
bought the house?

Your soil doesn't look as if it is clay, I am just down the road from
you and we are entirely on clay. Was yours clay to begin with and
what did you do to refine it?

Judith

The house is built on an early version of the modern garden plot
developments. Many years ago the garden was part of the grounds of
Thornborough Hall and was very grand at one time. In the 1930s a local
family bought part of the hall grounds and built this house. They employed a
full time gardener and developed the garden quite a lot. Then 30 years ago
the house was bought by the Hospitaler association and used as a care home
for physically and mentally handicapped adults, they passed it on to the
local housing association who closed it down in 2004. Sadly during the
housing association ownership many features of the original gardens were
destroyed in laying motorway style wheelchair paths as in
http://www.twango.com/media/Muddymik...e.10145?sort=5
and they only maintained areas accessed by these paths. We are now
resurrecting what we can of the original garden and adding our own features.

I think you must have missed an earlier reply of mine when you first asked
about my Mattishall email address. Yes I used to live in Mattishall but 2
1/2 years ago moved here to Leyburn, N Yorks.

Mike

Old 22-04-2007, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...

destroyed in laying motorway style wheelchair paths as inhttp://www.twango.com/media/Muddymike.Garden/Muddymike.10145?sort=5
and they only maintained areas accessed by these paths. We are now
resurrecting what we can of the original garden and adding our own features.

I think you must have missed an earlier reply of mine when you first asked
about my Mattishall email address. Yes I used to live in Mattishall but 2
1/2 years ago moved here to Leyburn, N Yorks.

Mike- Hide quoted text -

I must have missed that Mike. Your garden and house look great and
can only get even more interesting as time goes on, well done.

Old 22-04-2007, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have uploaded a
few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two and a half years
ago.

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture at http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Hello Mike

I don't think it is Ivy Broomrape! It is Common Toothwort (Lathraea
squamaria). Ivy Broomrape is taller with a much more open spike; it
flowers in late June/July. There is a good picture of Toothwort at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothwort. It flowers in April, so just
right.

All the best,

Chris Potts
Old 22-04-2007, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Potts
writes
Muddymike wrote:
Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have
uploaded a few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two
and a half years ago.
Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of
the stuff, see first picture at
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden
Must mow the lawns.
Mike

Hello Mike

I don't think it is Ivy Broomrape! It is Common Toothwort (Lathraea
squamaria). Ivy Broomrape is taller with a much more open spike; it
flowers in late June/July. There is a good picture of Toothwort at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothwort. It flowers in April, so just
right.

All the best,

Chris Potts

I hadn't considered Lathraea, as the plant didn't look at all like
lLathraea clandestina. However, Lathraea squamata is typically parasitic
on elm and hazel, rather than ivy. However it seems to occur on many
genera.

According to Stace, the key characters separating Lathraea and Orobanche
are

Lathraea: rhizomatous; flowers pedicellate (stalked); calyx with 4 equal
lobes;

Orobanche: not rhizomatous; flowers seesile (unstalked) except rarely
near the base of the inflorescence; calyx with 2-4(5) teeth arranged in
2 lateral lips.

Looking at the original photograph the calyx characters may be correct
for Lathraea. If Mike could check the details, and what plants other
than ivy are growing in the vicinity ...
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-04-2007, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Potts" wrote in message
Muddymike wrote:
Inspired by the wonderful comments on my garden pictures I have uploaded
a few more. Some showing the overgrown mess we took on two and a half
years ago.

Further to the Ivy Broomrape, I have discovered a virtual forest of the
stuff, see first picture at
http://www.twango.com/channel/Muddymike.Garden

Must mow the lawns.

Mike

Hello Mike

I don't think it is Ivy Broomrape! It is Common Toothwort (Lathraea
squamaria). Ivy Broomrape is taller with a much more open spike; it
flowers in late June/July. There is a good picture of Toothwort at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toothwort. It flowers in April, so just
right.

All the best,

Chris Potts

Thanks Chris

Looking at the picture I think you are right. Toothwart, Broomrape what
names will they think up next?

Keep on digging.

Mike

Old 22-04-2007, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Potts
writes
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Its quite crowded in there, plants include hazel certainly, laurel, yew,
privet, holly, and more that I am unable to name are also in quite close
proximity.

Mike

Old 22-04-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Potts
writes
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

I always found the keys for Orobranche and relatives to be hard going,
especially seeing as most of them have very colourful flowers. That plant
looks like toothwort/Lathraea squamaria alright. It is bright pink all over
in mid spring. L.clandestina (i think it is introduced) is a more lurid
colour and is smaller from what I can remember. L.squamaria is described as
widespread and is native but I have only seen it a handful of times, in
Ireland I cannot remember what it was growing on.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 22-04-2007, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Wort seems to be some generic name for herb or maybe medicinal plant or
maybe just plant. Toothwort was conceivably thought of as something to help
yer teeth. Broomrape, I think, just meant molesting broom.

Old 22-04-2007, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Apr, 19:38, "Muddymike" wrote:
Looking at the picture I think you are right. Toothwart, Broomrape what
names will they think up next?

)) Look at me this morning nor recognising our honesty, honestly!

That wonderful pear tree espalier you have, what pear is it?

Old 22-04-2007, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ps.com...
On 22 Apr, 19:38, "Muddymike" wrote:
Looking at the picture I think you are right. Toothwart, Broomrape what
names will they think up next?

)) Look at me this morning nor recognising our honesty, honestly!

That wonderful pear tree espalier you have, what pear is it?

Its a pear ok, you can eat them, don't ask me hard questions:-)

Sorry I know as much about pears as I do shrubs, it came as part of the
house.

Mike

Old 22-04-2007, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Muddymike
writes

In message , Chris Potts
writes
Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Ah well, it seems quite likely that it's Lathraea squamaria parasitising
hazel, rather than Orobranche hederae parasitising ivy. I should have
thought to ask the question what the ivy was growing over.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Broomrape Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 88 02-08-2013 09:24 AM
am posting pictures of arrivals in Fairy Holler on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens cardarch Gardening 13 14-04-2006 03:10 AM
am posting pictures of arrivals in Fairy Holler on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens cardarch United Kingdom 13 11-04-2006 08:51 PM
attempts to post pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens madgardener Gardening 6 02-09-2005 04:43 PM
more attempted sending of pictures on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens madgardener Gardening 4 02-09-2005 07:08 AM