Old 22-04-2007, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Damn mice

Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up, not a
sign of any others and I soaked them in White Spirit before planting.
Anyone got any good anti-mice advice that has worked for them?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 22-04-2007, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up, not a
| sign of any others and I soaked them in White Spirit before planting.
| Anyone got any good anti-mice advice that has worked for them?

Why are you blaming mice?

I have had over a 50% failure rate on broad beans, though SOME of
those may recover. This is some kind of rot that hits germinating
peas and beans in my garden. I have had a 95% failure rate on
dwarf beans and an 80% one on peas in the past.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 22-04-2007, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up, not
a sign of any others and I soaked them in White Spirit before planting.
Anyone got any good anti-mice advice that has worked for them?

Tiny little land mines? I am not sure white spirit would leave the seeds
viable anyway would it? I have never had a mouse/pea seed problem but would
think a less drastic cover up smell such as maybe a spray of air freshener
along the drill before covering the seeds might work.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 22-04-2007, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote .. "Bob Hobden" writes:

| Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up,
not a
| sign of any others

I have had over a 50% failure rate on broad beans, ... I have had a 95%
failure rate on
dwarf beans and an 80% one on peas in the past.

I sowed dwarf beans in pots indoors, and only 6 out of 36 germinated. I've
also had to re-sow all my peas (in gutters) as only a few germinated. Don't
know what the problem is this year, but it's definitely not mice. Second
sowing of peas are okay; still waiting on the dwarf beans.

Old 22-04-2007, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sowed peas direct into soil but placed net over immediately and no problems
to date.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

Old 22-04-2007, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote ...
after
"Bob Hobden" moaned:

| Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up,
not a
| sign of any others and I soaked them in White Spirit before planting.
| Anyone got any good anti-mice advice that has worked for them?

Why are you blaming mice?

I have had over a 50% failure rate on broad beans, though SOME of
those may recover. This is some kind of rot that hits germinating
peas and beans in my garden. I have had a 95% failure rate on
dwarf beans and an 80% one on peas in the past.

Little holes where peas should be, signs of digging, lots of mice about, no
peas in the ground when I've looked.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 22-04-2007, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote Sowed peas direct into soil but placed net over immediately
and no problems
to date.

That must be quite a fine net to stop mice, and presumably made of wire as
they chew through plastic netting?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 22-04-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 14:42:59 +0100, "Cerumen"
wrote:

Tiny little land mines?

Squash them with your mighty killfile!

Old 22-04-2007, 11:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" moaned...
Planted two rows of early peas and only one single plant has come up, not
a sign of any others and I soaked them in White Spirit before planting.
Anyone got any good anti-mice advice that has worked for them?

Tiny little land mines? I am not sure white spirit would leave the seeds
viable anyway would it? I have never had a mouse/pea seed problem but
would think a less drastic cover up smell such as maybe a spray of air
freshener along the drill before covering the seeds might work.

The White Spirit seemed to work last year for the second sowing after the
little blighters did for the first sowing but it's had no effect this year.
We haven't had a problem like this until we moved to this site where there
are no cats in the area, a neighbour on our last site had 27 some of which
were always to be seen mousing on the site so certainly no mice or rabbit
problem there.
As someone else suggests, I think we may try fine wire netting over the
seeds and see how it goes.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-04-2007, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Cerumen" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" moaned...
[...]

I don't think white spirit will work, since it evaporates quite quickly,
leaving not much trace. Wire netting prolly won't work because the varmints
mine from underground.

We always use paraffin for our peas, and our allotment has all the varmints
one would not want: mice, voles, fieldmice, moles, rats, and rabbits.

Soaking the peas in paraffin for a day before planting doesn't seem to harm
their germination rate but it does discourage the varmints. Paraffin costs
about £4 for 3 litres, so you need to find some friends to share it with,
since you'll only need a half cup to soak your peas and broad beans in.

s.

Old 23-04-2007, 07:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mice and rats love a mixture of rat poison and peanut butter. Hide it so
that other animals cannot get it.

Geoff

Old 23-04-2007, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Geoff wrote:
Mice and rats love a mixture of rat poison and peanut butter. Hide it so
that other animals cannot get it.

Geoff

Having had severe mice problems I purchased cheap mouse traps, bated
them with peanut butter. Placed 4 traps around the problem area, caught
4 a day for the first few days, then numbers reduced to none over a
couple of weeks. This has certainly worked for me, especially the latest
infestation which were eating my purple sprouting broccoli! I have also
used white spirit, never thought about the fast evaporation rate, I will
try paraffin the next sowing.
Old 23-04-2007, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Cerumen" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" moaned...
[...]

Why not try sowing the peas in trays in the greenhouse and when they are
sprouting plant them out?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 23-04-2007, 05:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" wrote "Cerumen" wrote after
"Bob Hobden" moaned...
[...]

Ours isn't big enough what with all the other stuff that has to be in there.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Broadback wrote in
:

Geoff wrote:
Mice and rats love a mixture of rat poison and peanut butter. Hide
it so that other animals cannot get it.

Geoff

Having had severe mice problems I purchased cheap mouse traps, bated
them with peanut butter. Placed 4 traps around the problem area,
caught 4 a day for the first few days, then numbers reduced to none
over a couple of weeks. This has certainly worked for me, especially
the latest infestation which were eating my purple sprouting broccoli!
I have also used white spirit, never thought about the fast
evaporation rate, I will try paraffin the next sowing.

Are we allowed to do this for cats? If not, why not?

--
Tunku

"Caution : traces of irony and other metallic objects may be present in
the above post"