Old 01-05-2007, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new planter but what to put in it?

Hi there I have come up with a design for a planter, basicaly its a steel
jardinere with scrollwork and you can put a 260mm pot with tray at the
bottom. Just off the ground by approx the same as pot feet. On top I plan to
have some choices for it bird bath, sundial etc. They will be sold without
any plants but I can envision people asking me what to put in them. What I
am looking for is plants that will either fill the inside of this jardinere
or climb up and around the bars.
so any suggestions I can jot down would be very nice.

Old 02-05-2007, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2 May, 16:57, "Dwayne & Angela"
wrote:
accepted, think no more about it but i could still do with some plant ideas
was thinking of clematis (which is about the only plant i have had any
success with) but do you get dwarf varieties?

I was at Harrogate Flower Show last saturday and there was a lovely
presentation with dwarf clematis on wooden frame forming a ball on top
of a pot. It's not my thing at all, but I thought it very ingenious.
The clematis they used was the Bourbon, deep red and quite adorable.
Also there was another which I really liked, the Pixie, almost green
flowers - very fresh.

Old 06-05-2007, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

i could still do with some plant ideas
was thinking of clematis (which is about the only plant i have had any
success with) but do you get dwarf varieties?

The idea is nice but my first concern is about the metal: I know Britain
is slightly cooler than Sicily, but how will the planter and the plants
inside react to the heat?

It doesn't take much sunshine for metal to go warm so someone who knows
better than me will have to say if roots will like it. Maybe it will be
just a matter of the soil getting dry quicker than with clay planters,
for instance, or if the whole thing is going to overheat?
I'm not too worried about the stems climbing on the metal, after all you
see old wisteria almost merged with ancient metal fences.

Perhaps you'd simply be better off with putting a second pot inside: of
all the metal planters I've seen in gardens, the only ones that directly
contained soil were of the thick, cast-iron variety. May be wrong,
though, anyone here has an idea on this?

Greg
--

You may ask yourself, how do I work this?

No ficus = no spam

Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6/5/07 13:55, in article ,
"Gregoire Kretz" wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

[...]

It's an interesting post, Greg. In the old and long gone times, people used
lead planters but what they grew in them is open to debate, I would think.
Certainly, the metal planter could be used as a câche pôt but drainage would
be just as important. And I do remember my ex father in law saying that he
didn't like training plants on metal wires in his Jersey garden because they
got too hot, so he used wooden trellis.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 06-05-2007, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/5/07 13:55, in article ,
"Gregoire Kretz" wrote:

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

[...]

Thanks for bumping this Sacha I missed Gregs post. the planter will have a
clay pot the steel work will accomodate a 270mm pot. the steel itself will
only be 20mm X 3mm. I really ought to paint up the one I made wrong and get
a pic up on my blog (I measured the tray and not the pot itself so the pot
wouldnt fit)

Old 06-05-2007, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
On 6/5/07 18:14, in article ,
"Dwayne
& Angela" wrote:
snip

Thanks for bumping this Sacha I missed Gregs post. the planter will have
clay pot the steel work will accomodate a 270mm pot. the steel itself
will
only be 20mm X 3mm. I really ought to paint up the one I made wrong and
get
a pic up on my blog (I measured the tray and not the pot itself so the
pot
wouldnt fit)

Actually, a pic really would be a good idea.

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
(remove weeds from address)
Devon County Show 17-19 May
http://www.devoncountyshow.co.uk/

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shi...e2.jpg&.src=ph
its not a good photo I just took it with my phone but the pot sits just at
the bottom and on top it will have bird-bath or sundial etc.

My blog:
http://uk.360.yahoo.com/shiptodruid

Old 06-05-2007, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dwayne & Angela wrote:

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/shi...cdre2&.dnm=e2e
4re2.jpg&.src=ph its not a good photo I just took it with my phone but the
pot sits just at the bottom and on top it will have bird-bath or sundial
etc.

A very nice idea, thanks for the picture. What's the base made of? I'm
thinking balance and very high centre of gravity here...

Greg