Old 29-05-2007, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Unusual trees for a new park

On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:29:35 +0100
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

I'm convinced there will be a dog poo problem so nobody will notice the
Ginko. :-)

Ah, that's all right, then.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Old 29-05-2007, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Emery Davis
writes
On Tue, 29 May 2007 11:13:01 +0100
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

A female gingko.

Finding one may be a problem?

Cultivar 'King of Dongting' is (ironically enough) female.

But maybe Nick was joking. Don't the fruits have a horrible
smell or something?

-E

That would make a female gingko an unusual tree because it the male that
is usually planted.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-05-2007, 04:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Please feel free to comment about hardiness etc, add more suggestions, pick the list to pieces. :-)
Pinus engelmannii (Apache pine) - has just about the longest needles of any pine, and very rare in cultivation in Britain. They have got one that is doing well at Wakehurst Place, so I'm sure you could grow it. Or try Pinus wallichiana or Pinus montezumae if you can't find an engelmannii
Pinus koraiensis (Korean pine) very common in east Asia, the main source of pine nuts, but hardly ever seen in Britain, attractive interesting garded varieties exist
Sciadopitys verticillata (Japanese Umbrella Pine) Quite unique appearance, being the only thing in its family, perfectly hardy, attractive interesting garden varieties also exist.
Araucaria angustifolia (Parana Pine) Related to the common-as-muck monkey puzzle and very rare in cultivation in Britain, some say it is hardy enough here once established.
Lomatia ferruginea - beautiful, rare in cultivation here and doing well at Wakehurst
Embothrium coccineum - ditto
Gevuina avellana - cutting it a bit finer in terms of hardiness, but again very beautiful flowers, usually in autumn
Nothofagus dombeyi, a magnificent large tree, (but will take 600 years to reach full size) unusual in being a broadleaf evergreen with small leaves. Absolutely hardy.
Nothofagus antarctica, a broadleaf deciduous tree with very small leaves giving an unusually open crown, like a birch but more so, beautiful shaped tree. Absolutely hardy.
Eucalyptus perriniana, commonly grown in the cut flower industry but little seen as an ornamental, which is a shame because it is quite bizarre, unique in appearance, and perfectly hardy
Banksia integrifolia, grows tree-sized, really weird flowers, perfectly hardy
Prumnopitys andina (plum-fruited yew) an unusual monospecific yew-like conifer which is more closely related to the podocarps, becoming rare in nature, with an edible berry (dioecious), perfectly hardy
Maytenus boaria, an unusual evergreen from South America, perfectly hardy, rare in cultivation here.
Drimys winteri (Winter's bark), which gives its name to the Winteraceae, a southern hemisphere family of primitive trees and shrubs. An evergreen with an aromatic flower. Perfectly hardy (though would prefer to be in W Scotland) but not too common in cultivation.

You will observe I have a particular taste for southern hemisphere trees.
Old 29-05-2007, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.
Old 29-05-2007, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 29-05-2007, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote
Would a palm or three not break up the monotony of all that common
stuff:-)

:-) Good idea, not thought of palms, suggestions please.

BTW, soil is about 3ft of good clay/silt over gravel.

--
Regards
Bob H

The favourite for most locations which are wind free is Trachycarpus
fortuneii. Butia capitata and Phoenix canariensis are the others that seem
to be gaining in popularity. Cold is not a problem but wet waterlogged soil
is the winter killer. These three sailed through last winter (what winter)
and did not really stop growing. Have a look at the Palm centre just to get
an idea of the sizes and prices :-(
There are better deals from some of the other Palm importers.
http://www.thepalmcentre.co.uk/
Some rather nice Butias at Akamba in Birmingham £600 per metre for a trunk
about 3 metres high with a canopy of a further few metres.
Just in case you need a few, remember to double that price to allow for
transport and hole digging:-)
Perhaps it's best to stick with Leylandii

Old 29-05-2007, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"John McMillan" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)

Old 30-05-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rod Rod is offline

On 29 May, 22:44, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"John McMillan" wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)
17mls W. of London.UK

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Old 30-05-2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

oups.com...

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small

tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

Would love one thanks, but how to get it here?

--
Regards
Bob H (hobdens at btinternetdotcom)
17mls W. of London.UK

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Sorry for piggybacking, but I've lost the original post.

My suggestions would be for a Monkey Puzzle Trees (I know they aren't that
rare, but I happen to like monkey puzzle trees and think there should be
more of them) and japanese cherry trees (Prunus serrulata and varients)
which are so gorgeous in spring.

--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 30-05-2007, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:

In message
, John
McMillan writes
In article ,
"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.

You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
sweet chestnut can't you.

Old 30-05-2007, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
John McMillan writes:
| In article ,
| Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
|
| Aesculus Indica?
| http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html
|
| I have three seedlings if you'd like one.
|
| If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.
|
| You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
| three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
| high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
| but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
| sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut have little in common. I doubt
that the tree Aesculus would coppice well, as they tend to suffer
from rot, but the shrubby ones might. I don't know. Sweet chestnut
does coppice well, as you say.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-05-2007, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Aesculus pavia "Briotii".

Red Buckeye (also var. flavescens, yellow flowered form) Small tree to
5 - 8m tall. Red Horse Chestnut type flowers.

Aesculus Indica?
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/parmar/02.html

I have three seedlings if you'd like one.

If my memories of London are correct, you can see this in Hyde Park.

You can certainly see it at Kew gardens, which are where, er, my
three conkers came from. They all sprouted in march and are now 50cm
high thugs. My own site is probably a bit small for such a species
but I thought of growing one and coppicing it. You can do that for
sweet chestnut can't you.

Sweet chestnut and horse chestnut are not particularly closely related,
and drawing conclusions about one from the other is not safe. OTOH, many
trees can be coppiced, and there is mention of coppiced horse chestnuts
on the web. (Sweet chestnuts are particularly good for coppicing).

[Sweet chestnuts belong to the group of catkin-bearing trees including
beeches and oaks, and more distantly birches, alders, hazels, hornbeans,
walnuts and wingnuts. Horse chestnuts' closest relatives, apart from an
obscure Mexican genus, are maples, and more distantly golden rain tree,
citrus, sumach, mahogany etc.]
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 30-05-2007, 11:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rhiannon S" wrote after Rod wrote...

I see nobody's mentioned Dawn Redwood, not esp. rare or unusual but
lovely tree at any time of the year, reasonably fast growing and
there's the fascinating story to tell of it's rediscovery.

Sorry for piggybacking, but I've lost the original post.

My suggestions would be for a Monkey Puzzle Trees (I know they aren't that
rare, but I happen to like monkey puzzle trees and think there should be
more of them) and japanese cherry trees (Prunus serrulata and varients)
which are so gorgeous in spring.

I think the Dawn Redwood was mentioned previously or at least I've got it on
my list now thanks Rod. A few prehistoric trees would be rather useful for
the local Scouts etc to help them get their badges. :-)

The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one
just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
:-(
I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 30-05-2007, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD! For sheer viciousness, our native barberry (Berberis vulgaris)
takes a lot of beating. It has spectacular yellow flowers in spring,
and equally spectacular, edible red berries in autumn. Its leaves are
edible, too.

| I'll put it to the Council though with most of your other suggestions.

Taxodium distichum is also good, as is Abies koreana (though a bit
slow growing).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 31-05-2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

In article ,
"Bob Hobden" writes:

| The Monkey Puzzle Tree is a favourite of mine too, there is an

excellent one
| just near the Orangery at Kew but I'm not so sure one would be a good

idea
| in a public park these days, some little darling might prick

themselves.
| :-(

Oh, GOOD!

Isn't that how kids are supposed to learn? Do something stupid, feel pain.
Do something really, really stupid like playing chicken with train, feel
Charles Darwin's chainsaw of natural selection.