Old 31-05-2007, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any Rose experts?

I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 31-05-2007, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Google suggests they have some at Mottisfont Abbey...

http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/emilyg

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/garden...ey_garden.html

Old 31-05-2007, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Google suggests they have some at Mottisfont Abbey...

http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/emilyg

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/garden...ey_garden.html

They have a plant but not any for sale that I could see when we were there
recently.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-06-2007, 04:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Bob, have you tried Wych Cross nurseries? They stock over 1000 varieties
of roses.

http://www.wychcross.co.uk/roses.htm

They have a catalogue online, you might find it there.

You would have to go there, but it's on Ashdown Forest so not much of a
hike from where you are.

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 01-06-2007, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote after
, Bob Hobden asked
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Bob, have you tried Wych Cross nurseries? They stock over 1000 varieties
of roses.

http://www.wychcross.co.uk/roses.htm

They have a catalogue online, you might find it there.

You would have to go there, but it's on Ashdown Forest so not much of a
hike from where you are.

Thanks. I can't get their catalogue up on the net so have sent them an
e-mail. We are often out that way as it's quite near Wakehurst Place, the
other Kew.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-06-2007, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"CWatters" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Google suggests they have some at Mottisfont Abbey...

http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/emilyg

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/garden...ey_garden.html

They have a plant but not any for sale that I could see when we were there
recently.

In the first link the poster claims they sent him a cutting so he could
graft it himself. Perhaps worth asking?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jennifer Sparkes" wrote
after "Bob Hobden" asked

I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Bob, it might be worth giving Hunts Court a ring - unfortunately
they don't have a website.

Hunts Court Garden and Nursery
(T.K. and M.M. Marshall)
North Nibley, Glos. GL11 6DZ

01453 547440

They do have a big collection of old rose varieties and did get one
for a friend of mine last year that she wanted but they hadn't got
in stock.

Thanks Jennifer, it's a bit far from us so I'll keep it as a backup and
await a reply from Wych Cross. If not I suppose I could contact Mottisfont
Abbey NT and see if they can help, I bet I'm not the only person to want one
after seeing theirs.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-06-2007, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
They have a plant but not any for sale that I could see when we were

there
recently.

Is it the rose they call "Enfant de France"?

Old 01-06-2007, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote in reply to
"CWatters" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Google suggests they have some at Mottisfont Abbey...

http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/emilyg

http://www.classicroses.co.uk/garden...ey_garden.html

They have a plant but not any for sale that I could see when we were
there
recently.

In the first link the poster claims they sent him a cutting so he could
graft it himself. Perhaps worth asking?

I haven't grafted a rose since I was 10.
I was very successful then but Sod's Law I wouldn't be now. :-)
I think I will contact them and ask if they know of a supplier, it's their
plant that has got me wanting it so I bet I'm not the only person after it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 01-06-2007, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CWatters" wrote after...
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...
They have a plant but not any for sale that I could see when we were

there
recently.

Is it the rose they call "Enfant de France"?

No, that's pink, the one I want is red.

If you go to...
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php?tab=5
and do a search for the one I want you will see it's completely different.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 02-06-2007, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Klara" wrote after
, Bob Hobden asked
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Bob, have you tried Wych Cross nurseries? They stock over 1000 varieties
of roses.

http://www.wychcross.co.uk/roses.htm

They have a catalogue online, you might find it there.

You would have to go there, but it's on Ashdown Forest so not much of a
hike from where you are.

Thanks. I can't get their catalogue up on the net so have sent them an
e-mail. We are often out that way as it's quite near Wakehurst Place, the
other Kew.

If you come this way anyway, then Wych Cross is worth going to in June,
if you like roses, even if they don't have the one you want: the colours
and scents are wonderful!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 02-06-2007, 05:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote
after Bob Hobden
"Klara" wrote after

, Bob Hobden asked
I'm looking for a very old shrub rose called...

"Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram"

Can't find anyone selling it in the UK, anyone know if/where it is
available?

Bob, have you tried Wych Cross nurseries? They stock over 1000 varieties
of roses.

http://www.wychcross.co.uk/roses.htm

They have a catalogue online, you might find it there.

You would have to go there, but it's on Ashdown Forest so not much of a
hike from where you are.

Thanks. I can't get their catalogue up on the net so have sent them an
e-mail. We are often out that way as it's quite near Wakehurst Place, the
other Kew.

If you come this way anyway, then Wych Cross is worth going to in June, if
you like roses, even if they don't have the one you want: the colours and
scents are wonderful!

Actually I recently realised I like a few Roses for a specific place/purpose
this being one variety that I've seen that is beautiful and that seems to
shrug off heavy rain and bad weather. Previously I always said I disliked
Roses since looking after a bed of them when a child (torn to shreds every
year). However, this year I intent to remove some ivy and plant along a 6ft
tall wall, climbing roses would be perfect.

Others I've seen that I like and which seem more weather resistant than most
are..
Winchester Cathedral (White, bush, from David Austin)
Constance Spry (Pink, Climber, from DA & Peter Beales Roses)
Mrs Anthony Waterer (Red, tall shrub from DA & PB)
General Jacqueminot (Cerise, bush, from PB)
Eclair (Deep Red, bush, from PB) amazing colour!
Mme Victor Verdier (Pink, bush, from PB)
Graham Thomas (Yellow, seen it as bush & climber, from PB and DA)
Port Sunlight (Apricot, from DA)
Crepuscule (Apricot/yellow climber from DA & PB)
Gloire d'un Enfant d'Hiram (Cerise, climber, good perfume, from ?)

Peter Beales Roses ... http://www.classicroses.co.uk/
Davisd Austin Roses ... http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-06-2007, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
[...]

I love roses but mostly we tend to go to see others' rose gardens in
June and not have roses ourselves, because we live a peculiar sort of
life: when we have deadlines, we have deadlines, and life has to go on
hold, sometimes for months on end. So roses (and much other regular
gardening) isn't really on for us. Having said that, we do have some
climbing roses: Pink Perpetue, New Dawn, Alberic Barbier - but in
retrospect I think I prefer climbers with smaller blossoms - somehow
that seems to suit the climbing shape better. But, then, for some reason
I generally prefer plants with small leaves and small blossoms....

Two of our daughters work near Wymondham - I must tell them to take the
time to see the rose gardens at David Austen this month!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 03-06-2007, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message
I love roses but mostly we tend to go to see others' rose gardens in
June and not have roses ourselves, because we live a peculiar sort of
life: when we have deadlines, we have deadlines, and life has to go on
hold, sometimes for months on end. So roses (and much other regular
gardening) isn't really on for us.

We had four standard roses at our last house. I hate gardening really but
they were really easy to look after. At the end of each season I just cut
off all of that years growth less about 1". I've no idea if thats the
right thing to do! We were there seven years and they flowered just about
all season - frequently into november. When the new growth was about 6-8"
long I sprayed them with something out of a can to kill any bugs. I don't
really know what it was. There was a picture of a rose and a bug on the can
but the writing was in dutch (we lived in Belgium) and I never bothered to
translate it. In the winter we dumped ash from the wood fire around the base
but only because that was just the easiest place to put it! Remarkable
flowers for very little effort really.

Anyone tried or recommend thornless roses?

Old 03-06-2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 3, 10:06 am, Klara wrote:

Two of our daughters work near Wymondham - I must tell them to take the
time to see the rose gardens at David Austen this month!

Klara, don't forget Peter Beales Roses, he's quite near Wymondham.

I'm only 5 miles from Wymondham, nearer Norwich, where are they?

Judith