Old 05-06-2007, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mind your own business!

We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff, works on
other weeds but not this one.

Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff, works on
other weeds but not this one.

I've got this in front of the house and found that attempts to pull it up,
dig it out etc just spread it about. On firm ground or paths you can
sometimes slice under it and roll it up like turf and get rid of it that
way. It can look quite attractive creeping over stones, and generally I just
live with it as it's infinitely better than the buttercups on my other
patch.

Duncan

Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff, works on
other weeds but not this one.

It grows on a lot of walls near here and I actually thing it looks quite
attractive in the right place if we are talking about the same stuff. I
killed some that was in the wrong place with glyphosate but it really does
need a heavy dose on a very sunny day, any moisture on the plant protects
it, it might also be an idea to damage the plant before spraying to allow
the chemical to get into the system.

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff, works on
other weeds but not this one.

It doesn't like boiling water. The water you boiled the spuds and cabbage
in, instead of throwing it away, pour it over the plants. A problem if it
has got in between other plants such as Heathers as it has in parts of our
garden. The finger and thumb method on a daily basis is the only answer in
this case ....

or...

..
..
..
..

move :-(

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

I see you have had several replies with ideas for getting shut.
We used to have the plant growing around our door, between the slabs and it
looks quite pretty there.
My father used to delight in people asking him what the plant was so that he
could reply Mind our Own Business :-)
I believe another name for it is baby's tears

--
Barb

Old 06-06-2007, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Barb" wrote:

I see you have had several replies with ideas for getting shut.
We used to have the plant growing around our door, between the slabs and
it looks quite pretty there.
My father used to delight in people asking him what the plant was so that
he could reply Mind our Own Business :-)
I believe another name for it is baby's tears

---
Also Mother of thousands, so I am told! I notice that it is for sale on
Ebay, why
poor boiling water on it when it could make some money.
Before being given some to edge my small pond, I asked for it at all my
local
garden centres without any luck. One guy advised me to trawl round all the
Edwardian and Victorian houses where some might still be growing.

MikeCT

Old 06-06-2007, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff,
works on other weeds but not this one.

I love this stuff! Makes hard landscaping round and green. Nice to walk on
and very attractive to my eyes. I've been encouraging it!

This surounding a moss garden is one of my "holy grails"...

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 06-06-2007, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"MikeCT" wrote in message

"Barb" wrote:

I see you have had several replies with ideas for getting shut.
We used to have the plant growing around our door, between the slabs and
it looks quite pretty there.
My father used to delight in people asking him what the plant was so

that
he could reply Mind our Own Business :-)
I believe another name for it is baby's tears

---
Also Mother of thousands, so I am told! I notice that it is for sale on
Ebay, why
poor boiling water on it when it could make some money.
Before being given some to edge my small pond, I asked for it at all my
local
garden centres without any luck. One guy advised me to trawl round all the
Edwardian and Victorian houses where some might still be growing.

If this is the same thing, then I think it looks lovely.

http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/g..._own_business/
--
Rhiannon_s
Due to it's large carbon footprint the light at the end of the tunnel has

Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in message
Alan Holmes wrote:
We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff,
works on other weeds but not this one.

I love this stuff! Makes hard landscaping round and green. Nice to walk on
and very attractive to my eyes. I've been encouraging it!

This surounding a moss garden is one of my "holy grails"...

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

I too like this plant.Also available in yellow and a light green variegated
form. Not to happy with heavy foot traffic and turns to mush but will
regrow.

Old 06-06-2007, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've also seen garden centres selling what looks like the same plant but
covered in small orange berries. Is it the same plant?

David.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've also seen garden centres selling what looks like the same plant but
covered in small orange berries. Is it the same plant?

David.

No it's a different thing. The name is on the tip of my tongue
but...........

Old 07-06-2007, 07:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've also seen garden centres selling what looks like the same plant but
covered in small orange berries. Is it the same plant?

David.

No it's a different thing. The name is on the tip of my tongue
but...........

Pin Cushion Plant: Nertera granadensis (Rubiaceae)
Jenny

Old 07-06-2007, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"JennyC" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've also seen garden centres selling what looks like the same plant but
covered in small orange berries. Is it the same plant?

David.

No it's a different thing. The name is on the tip of my tongue
but...........

Pin Cushion Plant: Nertera granadensis (Rubiaceae)
Jenny

Thanks that's the one and not the name that was on the tip of my tongue:-)

Old 07-06-2007, 01:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Alan Holmes wrote:
We have had a nasty weed in our garden for some years, and I've just
discovered it is called MYOB.

What the hell can I do to get rid of it?

I have tried roundup, but it doesn't seem to work on this stuff,
works on other weeds but not this one.

I love this stuff! Makes hard landscaping round and green. Nice to walk
on and very attractive to my eyes. I've been encouraging it!

This surounding a moss garden is one of my "holy grails"...

Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

"These people believe the souls of fried space aliens inhabit their
bodies and hold soup cans to get rid of them. I should care what they
think?"...Valerie Emmanuel

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

I too like this plant.Also available in yellow and a light green
variegated form. Not to happy with heavy foot traffic and turns to mush
but will regrow.

If you, and others, had as much of this pest as I have growing all over the
place, you would not like it, believe me!(:-(

Old 07-06-2007, 01:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
I've also seen garden centres selling what looks like the same plant but
covered in small orange berries. Is it the same plant?

David.

No it's a different thing. The name is on the tip of my tongue

I have that trouble!(:-)