Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Sticky Yellow Cards

They're too efficient :-(

Today I saw two (different kinds of) ladybirds on one in the greenhouse. I
can't think of a way of avoiding such occurrences.

Mary

Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...
They're too efficient :-(

Today I saw two (different kinds of) ladybirds on one in the greenhouse. I
can't think of a way of avoiding such occurrences.

I only used one once. I killed more spiders than anything else. :-(

Steve

Old 11-06-2007, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jun, 13:57, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
They're too efficient :-(

Today I saw two (different kinds of) ladybirds on one in the greenhouse. I
can't think of a way of avoiding such occurrences.

Hello there! Lovely to have met you yesterday Mary! You were right,
off course, the way from your house down the road is really amazing.
Those two buildings are so beautiful. Buy one! I'll move in with my
tribe and we'll get the most magnificent edible garden going )

I can't use those sticky cards - it's a childhood thing. I spent hours
hearing dying insects buzzzzzing (or screaming?) on them. Once I was
playing catch with my cousin around the table, and a long one got
trapped in my hair. It was the most traumatic experience ever. I
recall my grand mother having to slap my leg to calm me down. I went
crazy ...

Old 11-06-2007, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
Once I was
playing catch with my cousin around the table, and a long one got
trapped in my hair. It was the most traumatic experience ever. I
recall my grand mother having to slap my leg to calm me down. I went
crazy ...

Reminds me of a similar traumatic/yucky moment years ago when a friend of
mine took me fishing for the first (and last) time. He'd brought some real
live maggots. Horrible things. I couldn't bare to touch them so was using a
tissue to pick them up and skewer them onto the hook. However, I slipped and
skewered the maggot to my finger! There was a brief panic moment seeing the
maggot writhing and attached to my finger before I composed myself enough to
'carefully' pull out the hook/maggot from my finger. Yuk!

David.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
Once I was
playing catch with my cousin around the table, and a long one got
trapped in my hair. It was the most traumatic experience ever. I
recall my grand mother having to slap my leg to calm me down. I went
crazy ...

Reminds me of a similar traumatic/yucky moment years ago when a friend of
mine took me fishing for the first (and last) time. He'd brought some real
live maggots. Horrible things. I couldn't bare to touch them so was using
a tissue to pick them up and skewer them onto the hook. However, I slipped
and skewered the maggot to my finger! There was a brief panic moment
seeing the maggot writhing and attached to my finger before I composed
myself enough to 'carefully' pull out the hook/maggot from my finger. Yuk!

I thought anglers held maggots in their mouths.

Mary

Old 11-06-2007, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I thought anglers held maggots in their mouths.

Mary

I have no delusions about being an angler :-)

The same "friend" talked me into going on a three hour sea fishing trip. The
waves were a lot higher than the boat and it kept going up and down and side
to side and up and down and side to side and... ad nauseum!

David.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 11 Jun, 13:57, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
They're too efficient :-(

Today I saw two (different kinds of) ladybirds on one in the greenhouse.
can't think of a way of avoiding such occurrences.

Hello there! Lovely to have met you yesterday Mary! You were right,
off course, the way from your house down the road is really amazing.
Those two buildings are so beautiful.

Um - I don't know which you mean ...

Buy one! I'll move in with my
tribe and we'll get the most magnificent edible garden going )

That sounds good to me :-) But we can't afford to buy a bigger house or we
would have done - you know how much we need one :-(

I can't use those sticky cards - it's a childhood thing. I spent hours
hearing dying insects buzzzzzing (or screaming?) on them. Once I was
playing catch with my cousin around the table, and a long one got
trapped in my hair. It was the most traumatic experience ever. I
recall my grand mother having to slap my leg to calm me down. I went
crazy ...

I didn't know they were around until recently. We used to have fly papers -
a coil of sticky paper which traps flies in the house - but the yellow cards
are supplied for garden and greenhouse use, especially for whitefly and
aphid. I got them from the Green Gardener, perhaps they don't realise that
the cards aren't selective.

Mary

Old 11-06-2007, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11 Jun, 16:28, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Um - I don't know which you mean ...

Mary!?! There's a grey looking building on the right as you arrive at
the bottom of your road - looks ancient!! Arched windows and fabulous
designs on the door with considerable grounds. Looked like kids in
there. On the other side, is it a church?

I didn't know they were around until recently. We used to have fly papers -
a coil of sticky paper which traps flies in the house - but the yellow cards
are supplied for garden and greenhouse use, especially for whitefly and
aphid. I got them from the Green Gardener, perhaps they don't realise that
the cards aren't selective.

I had a look on the website coz I bought some stuff there before - the
aphids are attracted by the bright yellow colour. Now, maybe the
ladybirds too. Sadly. And not sure what you could do.

Old 11-06-2007, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 11 Jun, 16:28, "Mary Fisher" wrote:
Um - I don't know which you mean ...

Mary!?! There's a grey looking building on the right as you arrive at
the bottom of your road - looks ancient!! Arched windows and fabulous
designs on the door with considerable grounds. Looked like kids in
there.

It's a hostel for young refugees now. When we first moved here it was the
home and practice of a GP. I think originally it was something
ecclesiastical - there's a carved mitre in the wall, but I've never been
able to find out. There's not much garden though except at the front and I
wouldn't grow veggies next to the main road.

Oh - perhaps you meant the Victoria Institute - the church hall. The grounds
at the back were grass tennis courts until they weren't used any more then
the council took over the maintenance of the grounds.

Both those buildings and the church were late C19th, not at all ancient
(compared with what we're used to!).

On the other side, is it a church?

Yes, St Martin's, my grandparents were married there when it was new, my
parents married there, we married there, most of our children were baptised
there and some were in the choir, we've made things for the inside - we have
a long connection with it.

I didn't know they were around until recently. We used to have fly
papers -
a coil of sticky paper which traps flies in the house - but the yellow
cards
are supplied for garden and greenhouse use, especially for whitefly and
aphid. I got them from the Green Gardener, perhaps they don't realise
that
the cards aren't selective.

I had a look on the website coz I bought some stuff there before - the
aphids are attracted by the bright yellow colour. Now, maybe the
ladybirds too. Sadly. And not sure what you could do.

No :-(

Mary

Old 11-06-2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
[...]

I used to go fishing, back in the 60s, with an old neighbour who kept his
sandwiches in his worm pocket. He'd brush the worms off his piece before
eating it.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
[...]

I bet nobody ever pinched his sandwiches :-) Wouldn't bother me though.

Mary